Clay @ New Boston Glenwood 2.10

-varsity-
JV Team

Clay @ New Boston Glenwood 2.10

Post by -varsity- »

Who wins?

I got Glenwood taking this one in a tight battle! This is going to be an excellent game with all the fans packed in the Tiger Den! Take it from a previous Tiger that played in the Den, it's an awesome feeling when you have all those fans on your side!

Tigers by 3.

halftime
JV Team

Re: Clay @ New Boston Glenwood 2.10

Post by halftime »

I'll take Clay by 10+. To much for the tigers to handle.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Clay should be way too much for New Boston. The crackerjacks box is worth 10 points, but I'll still take Clay by 10
Last edited by Eaglesnest on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

If Clay loses this game then can forget the SOCI championship, which is their goal. I look for them to outrun NB in the Crackerbox and win this game by 10 or more.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

I'll go with the Tigers by 5 pts or less.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

I look for this to be Clay's breakout game. After losing their first two games by 8 and 2 points to NW and Minford, I think they will come out and pour it on NB. Clay 80 NB 55.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

i think clay has too much for newboston only if they can shoot better then they have the last 2 games but eiteher i take clay by 12 plus

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Panthers win by 1

Clay Panthers 73
New Boston Tigers 72

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

CLAY 14 16 25 18 FINAL 73
N. B. 16 13 23 20 FINAL 72

New Boston jump out 14 - 4 after hitting their first three 3 pointers, but Clay fought back to a 16 - 14 deficit after one. NB stayed in this game strictly on their 3 point shooting. I would guess they hit between 12 and 15 of them. Clay led 30 to 25 near the end of the half but two TO's led to the 30 - 29 halftime score. The third quarter was a shooting contest with both teams scoring over 20 points, hitting three after three on both ends until the end with Clay up 55 to 52. Then it got ugly. Clay got up 67 - 55 with about 5 minutes to go and then got bad call after bad call. The worse job officiating I have ever witnessed. NB was pressing hacking to no calls, Clay getting touch fouls. Clay got 2 charging calls that were totally bogus and the dagger was a missed out of bounds call on NB where their boy had both feet on the line, his hand on the wall and threw the ball back in, which hit a Clay player, who was inbounds, in the chest, and it was called out on Clay and given back to NB. I have never heard a louder, longer booing than I did tonight, and the ref looked up at Clay's fans and laughed.
Taking nothing away from NB, they shot lights out and will be tough to beat if they can hit threes from anywhere with denfenders in their face. If they are not hitting them, they will struggle.

Clay had 5 boys in double figures.
BURCHETT 17 13 in 2nd half
VALENTINE 16 11 in first haf
PORTER 13 11 in first half
BUSSLER 12 10 in second half
DELOTELL 10 all in second half
GRAHAM 5
What stands out about the scoring is not only the balance that we have been looking for but the fact that after Valentine and Porter open up with 11 each and drew more attention, Burchett, Bussler and Delotell start scoring. If they can keep this balance they should do well the rest of the year. Coach T still needs to figure out how to calm them down at the end of games. Up 12 points and NB pressing they went into panic mode, but the frustration with the bad calls really got into their heads.
Last edited by rockyraccoon on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Sounds like they were lucky to escape with the win. Congrats to the Panthers on win #1 of the year and hopefully the first of many more.

countyhobo
Riding the Bench

Post by countyhobo »

Rocky you blame the refs all you want, Clay should of had them put away in the 1st half with their size and all of the seniors. All of the pre game post were Clay winning big. These refs that do the bball games are cluess in what a foul is and isn't. You go one game they call everything and the next game its a rugby match. Clay is a very good team and they will get it to gather and win the soc 1.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

It is hard to put a team away when you have refs like that. They can and last night did keep a team in the game. What was a charge against Clay when they had a ball was a block against them when NB had the ball. It was the worst officiating crew that I have ever seen. The former coach that is now a ref has no business reffing games in this area. What gets me is why didn't he have to come up through the ranks like all other refs? He came out of the class and went straight to varsity games. Is it because he was a former coach that they think his knowledge of the game is better then anyone else? Well, whoever thought that was totally wrong. He is not a very good official. The one call towards the end of the game in a crucial spot where not only was the NB player standing on the OOB line, with the ball but was also bracing himself with his hand on the wall, threw the ball behind his back off of a Clay player and he called it out of bounds on Clay. This of course was after the ref right in front of it said he couldn't see it.

The fouls were 10 aginst Clay to 5 against NB with about a minute left to go. If a Clay player drove the lane he was absolutely mugged with no call. A NB player would charge in out of control and foul on Clay. So, for those who don't think an official can control a game need to open their eyes and watch sometime.

This was the first game of Clay's that I've got to see this year. Overall they played pretty good. They shot the ball pretty good, especially in the 2nd half. Thye definetly need to learn how to box out better and get positioning on rebounds. NB's smallest player was getting in there and out rebounding the big boys. No way that should happen. Hopefully they will work on that. To many players just standing around as the ball is going up. Boys, you need to get in there, get that arse into someone and back them away from the basket.

Coach is still the same. Doesn't have a clue. Started to go into a stall with about 2 minutes to go and it let NB right back in then game and the when NB went on a 10-2 run late in the game, he never called one timeout to calm Clay down. All he does is run up and down the sideline acting like a fool. what is sad is that Clay has had some decent teams in the time that he has been there and I feel he has cost them many a game that they should have won. They easily could be 3-0 this year. Why he continues to stay in a man to man when it is evident that they can't play it. Last night was a perfect example. NB kept beating the Clay defender all night for easy shots and still yet he stayed in the man to man defense. When Clay went to zone, NB didn't have answer as there outside shots weren't falling and that was because Clay was able to get out on the player before he could get set and they rebounde a lot better out of the zone, so what does coach do towards the end of the game, he goes back to man to man and lets NB get right back in the game. Unbelieveable!!!!!!

Also, last night was the first time I have ever been in NB's gym and what a joke. I had heard stories about how bad it was but could never have believed it was that bad. No seating at all. Blocked views of the basket. No space behind either basket. Saw countless times players running into the wall and it was lucky no one got hurt as it looks like the wall has very little padding. The concrete stairwell that has no padding on the edge side that is open to the court. Probably the worst gym I've ever watched a HS bball game in.

bucknutnut
Waterboy

Post by bucknutnut »

I was not able to make first half however stopped in for the second half and I didn't think the game was called as bad as it was played. Both teams played out of control at times and when their is contact and bodies hitting the floor they have to blow the whistle and not every call can go your way. As an ex official I do not like to see personal attacks on officials as it is completely unprofessional and uneccesary. Incompetent fans and their excuses is one reason I have little desire to officiate again. It is sad when sportsmanship is compromised.
In conclusion this will be a rough season for the league if this early in the season focus is already on excuses and not getting better as a basketball team.

bucknutnut
Waterboy

Post by bucknutnut »

Kind of funny complaining about the blocked views but talking about bad calls. Also blaming accomplished coaches decision making. Thus proving my point , Incompetent excuses .

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

All the players ask for is the game to be called fair on both ends of the court. That was not the case last night. You explain to me how on one end of the court it was a charge, but on the other end, same type of play, it was a block.

I always love the guys that come on here and say that they were ex officials and don't like to see the fans tear them down, then you know what, call the game the same for both teams. Don't try to tell me that no official has ever blatantly screwed a team in a game that he or she was officiating because i've had officials tell me they have. They might not like the coach or a certain player and they try there best to cause that team to lose or make it a little harder for them to win and fans will let them know.

The best example of an official not liking a player was a few years back when the one official told the coach For Huntington High that if OJ Mayo acts up tonight, I'm throwing him out of the game. Lo and behold, later in the game there was an incident which everyone knows about and the official ends up throwing Mayo out of the game. There was no way that official should have even been allowed to ref that game after he made that statement. Sure, Mayo might have been cocky, but how about not judging him until then game has even started. Same thing applies with coaches

I'm not sure what an official makes,$50 a game? if that is the case, that is around $25 an hour which is a pretty good wage for this area. Yeah, you get to hear fans yell at you and coaches yell at you, but call a fair game and you won't have those issues. There was one official last night and I've seen him do quite a few games, that he hardly even blows his whistle or makes a call. He was getting paid basically to run up and down the court.

As for talking about a certain official, I just don't think with him being a coach around here for a few years that he should be reffing in this area and in the SOC. He coached agaisnt most of these coaches and if he held any grudges against them then what better way to get back at them.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

bucknutnut wrote:Kind of funny complaining about the blocked views but talking about bad calls. Also blaming accomplished coaches decision making. Thus proving my point , Incompetent excuses .

I had a great view of all of the plays, especially the ones down on the end that NB had the ball. Like I said what was a charge on one end was a block on the other and it was the same play. A player blatantly out of control running over a defender and it is a block.

Accomplished what???? His record is horrendous at Clay and they have had some pretty good teams. He doesn't know how to coach during crucial times of the game. It is evident that Clay cannot play man to man defense but still yet he stays in it and they continually get beat off the dribble for easy baskets. When Clay went to the zone is when they built there lead, but then when he went back to the man to man it let NB right back in the game. He lets teams go on big runs before he even calls a timeout.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

The two charge calls in the last 2 minutes not only took points away from Clay but gave NB the ball back, those were killers. First one the NB boy was running besides the Clay player, then fell down, the second one, he undercut him, and flipped him. Those and the OOB call was the only reason NB got back in the game.
As for being a former ref, I guess the entire Clay fan base must be clueless, as it felt like they were almost ready to come out of the stands. As said above, worst officiating I have seen in 40+ years and everyone on Clay's side knew they were being screwed. Luckily they got the win.
Funny, to be accomplished, you have to had accomplish something. I agree about the man to man. It has been Clay downfall for 4 years, cost them the Minford game this year and almost cost them the NB game. I have asked many of the playres why they hardly ever play zone, and they tell the Coach Trainer says "Zone defense is weak and lazy".
Last edited by rockyraccoon on Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bucknutnut
Waterboy

Post by bucknutnut »

Listen I have no dog in this fight just making a point. Let's just let the coaches coach, the officials officiate, and the kids play while the rest of us practice good sportsmanship.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

bucknutnut wrote:Listen I have no dog in this fight just making a point. Let's just let the coaches coach, the officials officiate, and the kids play while the rest of us practice good sportsmanship.
Just "let the coaches coach" is saying there should be no reason to complain and or change coaches. That's fine if you can accept an 18 - 48 record.

tigers1
Waterboy

Post by tigers1 »

U guys make me laugh, first of all this was two bad teams. Both dont know what defense is and both of them dont have any ball handlers. So to all other teams press press press both teams. Second the official was bad both ways, clay guard traveled everytime. with that said Go Tigers

Return to “Boys Basketball”