Top 5 Coaches in Southern Ohio

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Top 5 Coaches in Southern Ohio

Post by dime-a-dozen »

Lets here it! Who are the best five coaches in Southern Ohio?

My picks are...

1.) Norm Person (Oak Hill)
2.) Ryan Davis (Chesapeake)
3.) Mark Lafon (Ironton)
4.)Tom Barrick (Wheelersburg)
5.)Jeff Lisath (Piketon)

If Jim Osborn were still Coaching he would have been #5

datchillicav
JV Team

Re: Top 5 Coaches in Southern Ohio

Post by datchillicav »

1)Ones with Rings...

2)One's with regional titles or at least 5 district titles...

3)Everyone else...

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Dave Young from North Adams and Buecler from Eastern Brown should probably be mentioned somewhere.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Maddox, Young, Buecler, Stiverson, Lafon, Barrick, Combs, Persin, Lisath.....those guys in no particular order are at the top of my list. I'd probably put LaFon and Barrick as the top 2...in whichever order.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

datchillicav wrote:1)Ones with Rings...

2)One's with regional titles or at least 5 district titles...

3)Everyone else...
I second that motion !!!!!

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

While I agree that all mentioned are very good coaches, let's not forget, the teams they coach were successful for the most part before these guys took over. Talent typically wins, these guys mentioned are never short on it.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

I agree that talent has a lot to do with winning. But there are the other factors that play into longevity and a winning program. And those two things go hand in hand. Longevity usually means you help develop a good program all the way down to Jr. High. Winning on all those levels over a long period of time bleeds into the community and into the bitty leagues. Fundamentals and kids playing all year long are key to having the talent year in and year out. The other factor in longevity is what goes on off the court. Maintaining strong relationships with administrations and the ever changing boards. Maintaining relationships with parents of current and future players. It is a huge juggling act and every coach has strong staff to help with all these factors. The Young's, Osbourne's, Barrick's all have coaches that have been with them a long time and each will tell you they can't do it with them and the assistants will say the same. It's a character issue. Some coaches might have great knowledge of the game and great player relationships but can't manage the off court stuff and that hurts their chances of longevity.

My top 5 active coaches in no order:
Beuchler - Eastern Brown
Davis - Cheasepeake
Young - North Adams
Stiverson - Logan Elm
Barrick - Wheelersburg

A few that should be on the list:
Person - Oak Hill
Maddux - Warren
Caldwell - Southern

I love the discipline these coaches bring to they're program and the way the players sell out for them every night.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Stiverson, Persin, Barrick are the top 3. Some mentioned thus far do not deserve to be IMHO. The 3 I listed win year in and year out and are competitive even when the talent level is not there. for example, Chesapeak is absolutely loaded. How does that prove that Davis is a top coach????? I am not saying that time will not show that he is? But I don't think you can say that yet? I would say the same about Lisath (although he at least has some longevity) but again time will tell.

No way though as of right now can those names be compared to Barrick, Person, and Stiverson...

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Longevity, Career wins, and what you do with the talent level year in and year out. How long has Davis been at Chesapeake? I agree with Persin, Barrick, Stiverson,Kellough,Beuchler,Young. I can't argue with the fact Combs at VC has had a nice run in recent years, and Lisath had a good record at Unioto and turned the Chillicothe Girls program into a instant winner, and to my understanding will become the all time leader in wins at Piketon this year. Lafon is up and coming and will be right there with the others. Bottom line....we have some very good coaches in the Southeast District.

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

I am going to Change up my top Five because i totaly forgot about Dave Young.

1.) Norm Peirson (OAk Hill)
2.) Tom Barrick (Wheelersburg)
3.) Ryan Davis (Chesapeake)
4.) Mark Lafon (Ironton)
5.) Dave Adams (Norht Adams)

Jeff Lisath would be next in line on my top 5.

How does that prove Davis is a top 5 coach. Well when he game to the Chesapeake Program it was in shambles thank you Ron Reed! But the very next year the Panthers rebounded well with a winning season and i think 2 trips to the convo. And the same the very next year. And now he has implimented a system that could win anywhere. And think about that comment of being loaded, was Persin loaded at chesapeake every time they made it to the reginal fianls or when he won it all at Oak Hill? Was Barrick loaded when they went to Columbus? Has Mark Lafon even made it to Columbus? Answer those and get back to me!

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Out of Bounds wrote:I agree that talent has a lot to do with winning. But there are the other factors that play into longevity and a winning program. And those two things go hand in hand. Longevity usually means you help develop a good program all the way down to Jr. High. Winning on all those levels over a long period of time bleeds into the community and into the bitty leagues. Fundamentals and kids playing all year long are key to having the talent year in and year out. The other factor in longevity is what goes on off the court. Maintaining strong relationships with administrations and the ever changing boards. Maintaining relationships with parents of current and future players. It is a huge juggling act and every coach has strong staff to help with all these factors. The Young's, Osbourne's, Barrick's all have coaches that have been with them a long time and each will tell you they can't do it with them and the assistants will say the same. It's a character issue. Some coaches might have great knowledge of the game and great player relationships but can't manage the off court stuff and that hurts their chances of longevity.

Beuchler - Eastern Brown
Davis - Cheasepeake
Young - North Adams
Stiverson - Logan Elm
Barrick - Wheelersburg

Person - Oak Hill
Maddux - Warren
Caldwell - Southern

I love the discipline these coaches bring to they're program and the way the players sell out for them every night.

I feel that Howie Caldwell from Reedsville Eastern would have to be in the running. He year in and year out takes a group of young men and wins games. Even the years when you look at the talent he has to work with and say maybe a .500 win percentage team, he still takes them and is making a run at a sectional or even a district title.

conehead
Freshman Team

Post by conehead »

I do think Coach Davis deserves to be on the list. The year (or part of) Reed coached, the team was terrible, and they had plenty of talent. He just didn't know what to do with it. When Davis came, he turned the program arround pretty much immediately and hasn't looked back. Yes they've got tons of talent, but a coach has to know what to do with it in order to make a team good. Davis definitely knows what he's doing. And that team has to be in better shape than any other around here. And that GPA sure isn't bad, either. He makes sure his kids are good all around.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

conehead wrote:I do think Coach Davis deserves to be on the list. The year (or part of) Reed coached, the team was terrible, and they had plenty of talent. He just didn't know what to do with it. When Davis came, he turned the program arround pretty much immediately and hasn't looked back. Yes they've got tons of talent, but a coach has to know what to do with it in order to make a team good. Davis definitely knows what he's doing. And that team has to be in better shape than any other around here. And that GPA sure isn't bad, either. He makes sure his kids are good all around.
Again I'm not saying Davis isn't a good coach. to be honest, only seen his team a couple of times. But, he does not have any longevity and with the talent the Peak has...what could other coaches do with them? Lets wait til the talent level falls and then see how he does...that is all I am saying. But a couple of good years with the talent they have does not put Davis up there with barrcik, Person, Young, etc......YET being the key word. time will tell.

ThePeakeInsider
JV Team

Post by ThePeakeInsider »

Ryan Davis took a team from Indiana to state tournament in his first year of coaching,it took him 3 years at the peake to get to Columbus.You cannot compare him to any of the coaces in southern ohio,he has his own style, and it seems to work,we think he worth keeping.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Maximus wrote:
Out of Bounds wrote:I agree that talent has a lot to do with winning. But there are the other factors that play into longevity and a winning program. And those two things go hand in hand. Longevity usually means you help develop a good program all the way down to Jr. High. Winning on all those levels over a long period of time bleeds into the community and into the bitty leagues. Fundamentals and kids playing all year long are key to having the talent year in and year out. The other factor in longevity is what goes on off the court. Maintaining strong relationships with administrations and the ever changing boards. Maintaining relationships with parents of current and future players. It is a huge juggling act and every coach has strong staff to help with all these factors. The Young's, Osbourne's, Barrick's all have coaches that have been with them a long time and each will tell you they can't do it with them and the assistants will say the same. It's a character issue. Some coaches might have great knowledge of the game and great player relationships but can't manage the off court stuff and that hurts their chances of longevity.

Beuchler - Eastern Brown
Davis - Cheasepeake
Young - North Adams
Stiverson - Logan Elm
Barrick - Wheelersburg

Person - Oak Hill
Maddux - Warren
Caldwell - Southern

I feel that Howie Caldwell from Reedsville Eastern would have to be in the running. He year in and year out takes a group of young men and wins games. Even the years when you look at the talent he has to work with and say maybe a .500 win percentage team, he still takes them and is making a run at a sectional or even a district title.
And he also has had some teams that you say, wow could be 20-0 and be a final four team and they don't even win the TVC Hocking.

Charge
Varsity

Post by Charge »

Southeastern Ohio has some great coaches. Here are some I am use to seeing at the convo. Barrick, Persin, Davis, Combs, Stiverson, Caldwell, Caldwell, Young, Lafon, Kellough and Lisath. Some great ones I miss seeing coach, Wolfe, Jordan, Van Meter, and OZ. I still can't believe that a BOE with that many educated people on it was stupid enough to get rid of one of the all time greats.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Is longevity a requirement to being a great coach? If so, what are the other requirements. Should we all just make up our own so that we can justify why our favorites are great?

Charge
Varsity

Post by Charge »

Heavy D wrote:Is longevity a requirement to being a great coach? If so, what are the other requirements. Should we all just make up our own so that we can justify why our favorites are great?

Not sure what you are talking about? The coaches I listed usually do pretty well in the tournaments and yes to have longevity in this day and age says they are good coaches, plus having 300 to 500 wins don't hurt. Instead of you running your mouth about someone else list, why not make up your own list.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Can some of these coaches come on here and post how to spell their names. lol

peeblesfan97
JV Team

Post by peeblesfan97 »

Coach Davis was at Peebles in 2000-2001 thru 2002-2003 and he did a very nice job in his 3 yrs at PHS.

Return to “Boys Basketball”