SVC Outlook 2016-17

smith.hill.royalty
Waterboy

SVC Outlook 2016-17

Post by smith.hill.royalty »

Any thoughts on teams and how everyone stacks up against each other?

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Re: SVC 2016-2017

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Unioto and then everyone else....again. I really don't see them losing a league game.

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

Unioto 14-0 again.

I'll take Swingle and Swackhammer to split POY.
2-8 is a toss up, but I'll try it.

2. Westfall
3. Zane Trace
4. Piketon
5. Paint Valley
6. Huntington
7. Southeastern
8. Adena

I think SVC first team will look something like this:
Swackhammer U
Swingle PV
Wyman W
McCloskey H
Kennedy U

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Not sure how the season will play out, but don't sleep on the Streaks. I think Coach Legg will bring a more up tempo style, much like when Coach Lisath was at the helm. Also, Casey Moore, Steven Zimmerman and Travis Veach will be among those in the discussion for all league.

FannyPack
Freshman Team

Post by FannyPack »

Wyman tore his ACL and is out for the year

Piketon should finish 2nd.

2015-2016 Basketball Pick 'Em Champion while picking correctly 81% of the time.
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Isn't Corey Wyman for Westfall out for the year ? torn ACL ?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

FannyPack wrote:Wyman tore his ACL and is out for the year

Piketon should finish 2nd.
Sorry FannyPack ! ... I read the previous post and KNEW I had read that Wyman was out for the season - thanks for substantiating that ...

smith.hill.royalty
Waterboy

So the Streaks traveled to Notre Dame yesterday morning to face Note Dame and Raceland in their opening scrimmage.

After being nearly 45 mins late due to bus issues and taking awhile to settle in with refs in preseason form, Streaks found their strides. Wow were they physical, strong, fast, and all over the place. Couldn't throw it in the ocean yet but they brought the heat...WOW! Played 12 players looking at different guys and didn't seem to care about what the score was or time on the clock. At mid season will be a team that can beat anyone.

Also they had a couple of boys in civilian clothes that I'm assuming are recovering from some football injuries and word is one could possibly be a starter.

Looks to me the "Running" Redstreaks are back....

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I have the Piketon boyz of Coach Legg starting at the #19 spot on the Elite 8 rankings ... the Red Streaks had a quality team "components" returning from last season :

Starters in Travis Veach (5-10), Steven Zimmerman (6-0) & Casey Moore (5-11)

... without knowing what has come up from the JV of last season the remaining returnees :

Tim Trawick (6-5)
Baden Fuller (5-10)
Jon Hurst (6-0)
Colton Green (6-1)
Scott Lightle (5-9)
Brice Odell (5-10)
Alex Blanton (5-5)

... I saw Piketon in their first game of the season last year and that was it ... BUT with 3 starters returning , and a boat load of guards I would assume Coach Legg will be pressuring the ball full court ... playing an "in your pocket" man to man defense that will pressure the ball in the half court ... I'm curious hear about 6-5 Warwick ... is he size that WILL make a difference in the paint at both ends of the floor ? with Coach Legg himself being one of the best PG in SEOhio while he was as Piketon , he knows the importance of having a leader on the court who wants and has the ball in his hands at crunch time - I'm looking for one of the Piketon guards to become that "coach on the court" for PHS ... who will it be ? ... the defensive end IS the part of the game that will show up first - sounds like they have that ... anytime you CAN effectively pressure the ball you will in most cases get "Ws" over the weaker teams on the schedule (lets check that one off for PHS) ... after that YOU have to be able to score the ball vs the better teams on your handydandy pocket schedule - the Uniotos, ZTs, Easterns etc. ...

... with Piketon in my top 30 I will be definitely watching their box scores/napkin stats closely ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tigercat1
Varsity

Post by tigercat1 »

Hello pfloyd, I always enjoy your perspectives on the Southern Ohio teams. Thank you for all of your napkin stats and observations. I mostly read and don't post very often. However, I wanted to let you know that on the above returnees - Cameron Chitwood was out last year with an injury and graduated. Warwick is actually Tim Trawick, who has been a state track and field high jumper the past three years. He was state-runner up in D3 last year and finished fourth as a sophomore.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

tigercat1 wrote:Hello pfloyd, I always enjoy your perspectives on the Southern Ohio teams. Thank you for all of your napkin stats and observations. I mostly read and don't post very often. However, I wanted to let you know that on the above returnees - Cameron Chitwood was out last year with an injury and graduated. Warwick is actually Tim Trawick, who has been a state track and field high jumper the past three years. He was state-runner up in D3 last year and finished fourth as a sophomore.
... thanks tigercat1 !!! I put what I have out there so I can get "corrected" by those "in the know" ... my napkins are 9 months old LOL , all crunched up, mustard from the hot dogs I gulp down in the Cheap Seats LOL ... I corrected my spelling on Tim Trawick, and deleted Cameron Chitwood ... any newcomers I should be highlighting ???

Karl
Waterboy

Post by Karl »

Different league this year. Lots of changes.

4 new head coaches, the loss of some of the best players in SVC history (Mowery and Thomas), Wyman out for the year at Westfall, plus other changes.

Here is how I see it playing out.

1. Unioto (undefeated)
2. Paint Valley
3. Zane trace
4. Piketon
5. Westfall
6. Huntington
7. Southeastern
8. Adena

Could change with coaching strategies, but lets start here!

Titan
Waterboy

Post by Titan »

1. Unioto
2. Zane trace
3. Piketon
4. Southeastern
5. Paint valley
6. Huntington
7. Westfall
8. Adena

Biscuit
Waterboy

Post by Biscuit »

1. Unioto
2. Paintvally
3. Piketon
4. Zanetrace
5. Huntington
6. Southeastern
7. Adena
8. Westfall

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

winningaintcheap wrote:Unioto 14-0 again.

I'll take Swingle and Swackhammer to split POY.
2-8 is a toss up, but I'll try it.

2. Westfall
3. Zane Trace
4. Piketon
5. Paint Valley
6. Huntington
7. Southeastern
8. Adena

I think SVC first team will look something like this:
Swackhammer U
Swingle PV
Wyman W
McCloskey H
Kennedy U
With the injury news about Wyman, I'll update.
Westfall to 7 and everybody else moves up one. Adena still at the bottom. Moore from Piketon moves into SVC 1st Team spot in place of Wyman.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Hopefully coaches show something at the preview this weekend, have to go with:
Unioto
Zane trace
Paint valley
Piketon
Southeastern
Huntington
Westfall
Arena
Should be a very competitive battle for the 2-6 spot .

smith.hill.royalty
Waterboy

Re: SVC Outlook 2016-17

Last night the Streaks were rolling up 14 in 1st Qtr until coach called off the dogs and subbed everyone out. Hope he doesn't do that when games count. Looks like Streaks not in shape yet to play that style. PV settled down after Piketon took off the pressure and hit some shots. Gonna be interesting this season in SVC.

Still trying to figure the Streaks out....

tigercat1
Varsity

Post by tigercat1 »

pfloyd, add Blake Reader to your list of players to watch for Piketon. Sophomore who didn't play much last year due to an injury from football season.

Svcfanatic
Waterboy

Post by Svcfanatic »

The Huntsmen split the first two games of the season after a thumping by a very impressive unioto team and then a great comeback last night from 20 points to beat the Pioneers. I don't see anybody except Unioto at the top this year. For the rest of the league it's going to be a fun year. I think it's a blind grab in the hat for the rest of the league

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

Return to “Boys Basketball”