Jackson Ironmen 2016-2017

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Jackson Ironmen 2016-2017

Post by Ironman92 »

Greenfield 46
Jackson 38

Greenfield played great defense and hit a lot of shots in first half. The longer Greenfield team seemed to dominate the boards.

Jackson was up 3 late in the 3rd and not sure what happened as it looked like a nothing play but ref ran down and stopped play a t'd up the Jackson bench pointing at an assistant who never even talks.

Down 2 with 17 seconds left loose ball and Greenfield comes up with it and another Greenfield player flies into a Jackson player, everyone going crazy and ref talking to Jackson player then t'd him up and 4 free throws sealed it.

Jackson lost because Greenfield hit more shots and dominated the boards. I tip my hat to the effort of the Greenfield kids. That crew of refs cannot control a varsity game, they never can. Seems like they are at Jackson 5x a year. Ref should've stepped in immediately with the whistle and took charge....then after all that the other ref is under basket laughing as he passed the Greenfield shooter the ball for the free throws. Not good.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

One thing I noticed about Jackson coaches was that many times all 3 of them was standing and coaching several times during the meigs game, I was surprised the refs never warned them.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

tvc_fan wrote:One thing I noticed about Jackson coaches was that many times all 3 of them was standing and coaching several times during the meigs game, I was surprised the refs never warned them.
That would be fair. Assistants were all sitting when t'd up.

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

Hey at least your freshmen and JV are undefeated. LOL

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ShoeHorn wrote:Hey at least your freshmen and JV are undefeated. LOL
darn right it is cool. We went years hardly winning at any of the high school levels. Our top players transfer and piece by piece players and coaches are working hard and getting there. It's a process but it has been enjoyable to sit in the stands and watch kids play hard and win when for years it was just play hard and give a good effort.

Enjoy laughing at Jackson basketball....I imagine we'll be beating your team in the years to come.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Ironman92, always something bad about the officials! Classy!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote:Ironman92, always something bad about the officials! Classy!
Funny since I said in game 1 we had two of the absolute best around. Sorry you are an official, I'm sure like many other around you are a good official.

Our freshman and JV officials often seem like varsity crews. Wish they would get the chance.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Ironman92 has been around plenty of ball, he's allowed to give an opinion on officiating. We can all agree officiating is way down in SE Ohio. There still are good officials in the area, several actually, but there's plenty of atrocious ones as well.

The tall bald guy who tries to make the game about him (reffed the Jackson/SW game and the Minford/East game last night) is the perfect example of a guy that needs to hang it up. Once your ego drastically effects your ability to call a game, it's probably time to step away.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

bbjunky81 wrote:Ironman92 has been around plenty of ball, he's allowed to give an opinion on officiating. We can all agree officiating is way down in SE Ohio. There still are good officials in the area, several actually, but there's plenty of atrocious ones as well.

The tall bald guy who tries to make the game about him (reffed the Jackson/SW game and the Minford/East game last night) is the perfect example of a guy that needs to hang it up. Once your ego drastically effects your ability to call a game, it's probably time to step away.
There are many officials that need to "check their egos at the door". The shorter ref of the crew you are referring to is one I believe falls in that category. Minford was up 5 just before halftime with their game against East, and the shorter official of that crew missed 2 calls that allowed East to tie the game before half. One Minford player, Kelton Kelley, was shooting a 3 and got hammered on the shot with no call. East takes the loose ball and goes the length of the floor for a layup and an and 1. East then had possession down 2, and Minford's attempt for a defensive rebound was taken away when East's big man looks like he is trying to impress football scouts instead of basketball scouts by knocking an in-position Minford player 5 yards out of bounds with what would have been an illegal block in the back in football. Brown gathers the loose ball and scores to tie the game at half. Coach Shoemaker continues to question this official about both obvious no calls, and this official gives Shoemaker a death stare the whole time he questioned the call. This was one of the 3 times the Scott kid hammered the Minford kids from behind with no calls. Could this have changed the outcome? Maybe, maybe not. I was close enough to Shoemaker, and he was not belligerent to this official at all. However, the stare definitely showed this official had a major ego problem.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Ironman92 wrote:Greenfield 46
Jackson 38

Greenfield played great defense and hit a lot of shots in first half. The longer Greenfield team seemed to dominate the boards.

Jackson was up 3 late in the 3rd and not sure what happened as it looked like a nothing play but ref ran down and stopped play a t'd up the Jackson bench pointing at an assistant who never even talks.

Down 2 with 17 seconds left loose ball and Greenfield comes up with it and another Greenfield player flies into a Jackson player, everyone going crazy and ref talking to Jackson player then t'd him up and 4 free throws sealed it.

Jackson lost because Greenfield hit more shots and dominated the boards. I tip my hat to the effort of the Greenfield kids. That crew of refs cannot control a varsity game, they never can. Seems like they are at Jackson 5x a year. Ref should've stepped in immediately with the whistle and took charge....then after all that the other ref is under basket laughing as he passed the Greenfield shooter the ball for the free throws. Not good.
So, If Jackson lost because Greenfield hit more shots then why do you feel the need for a dissertation on the officiating?

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Let me give you my 2 cents from an officials perspective. I have not had Jackson this year but will very soon. They are very well coached and work really hard. Jackson community should be very proud of what they have and the future looks great. As for Officials, there are a Lot, and I mean a lot of good officials. However, it only takes 1 or 2 bad officials to taint the whole system. My crew take a lot of pride in what we do. Do we get all the calls right? You bet your a$$ we do. LOL JK. We miss many. However, do players make all their shots? Do Coaches Call all the right plays? Mistakes are made all the time. We get rated on every game we do by coaches and AD's (1 bad call can cost us a good rating). I would love to flip the script and Rate coaches. Also Rate AD's. (How well the officials are treated before, during and after the games.) Some AD's don't even bring water. Rating of Coaches could be used as an extra evaluation tool for the school. I bet this would cut down on the griping and nonsense out of some of these coaches and allow what our crew stresses; Coaches to Coach, Players to Play, and Refs to Ref!!!

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

thebarlowbandit wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:Greenfield 46
Jackson 38

So, If Jackson lost because Greenfield hit more shots then why do you feel the need for a dissertation on the officiating?
Must have been those danged "Glouster refs." :lol: They always get the blame for a loss even when they play no role in it. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

baseball16 wrote:Let me give you my 2 cents from an officials perspective. I have not had Jackson this year but will very soon. They are very well coached and work really hard. Jackson community should be very proud of what they have and the future looks great. As for Officials, there are a Lot, and I mean a lot of good officials. However, it only takes 1 or 2 bad officials to taint the whole system. My crew take a lot of pride in what we do. Do we get all the calls right? You bet your a$$ we do. LOL JK. We miss many. However, do players make all their shots? Do Coaches Call all the right plays? Mistakes are made all the time. We get rated on every game we do by coaches and AD's (1 bad call can cost us a good rating). I would love to flip the script and Rate coaches. Also Rate AD's. (How well the officials are treated before, during and after the games.) Some AD's don't even bring water. Rating of Coaches could be used as an extra evaluation tool for the school. I bet this would cut down on the griping and nonsense out of some of these coaches and allow what our crew stresses; Coaches to Coach, Players to Play, and Refs to Ref!!!
Great post.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

baseball16 wrote:Coaches to Coach, Players to Play, and Refs to Ref!!!
I assume this applies in Spring too: Coaches-Coach; Players-Play, and Umpires-Ump?

Just checking.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson 60
Gallia Academy 57

22 foot buzzer beater by Bryce Hall

Outstanding bounce back by kids and staff. Excellent effort and clutch play when it mattered most.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Ironman92 wrote:Jackson 60
Gallia Academy 57

22 foot buzzer beater by Bryce Hall

Outstanding bounce back by kids and staff. Excellent effort and clutch play when it mattered most.
Always good to beat your rival. Congrats to the Ironmen!

Seems like Jackson basketball, top to bottom, is headed in the right direction. Great to see that happening.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Jackson's coach is doing a great job of turning their program around.

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

When does the head coach return from his suspension?
good job.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Bring the Heat wrote:When does the head coach return from his suspension?
good job.
Tonight against Minford

AllAboutTheU
Freshman Team

Post by AllAboutTheU »

Why did he get suspended?

Return to “Boys Basketball”