Vinton County JVs UNDEFEATED

McArthur General
Waterboy

Vinton County JVs UNDEFEATED

Post by McArthur General »

Travis Hale, in just his 2nd year, will lead his young squad to an undefeated season with a win over Meigs next week. It took John Royster eight years to accomplish that same feat. Needless to say Hale has outperformed his predecessor thus far. I look for that trend to continue. It's a shame Hale didn't take over as JV coach sooner.

Pol pot
SE

Re: Vinton County JVs UNDEFEATED

Post by Pol pot »

The guy is a stud! I can see him landing a major job sometime soon with the job he does! Maybe a top candidate to replace Osborne at Gallia?

popcorn phil
Freshman Team

Post by popcorn phil »

Juniors are not young.

rivercat
Freshman Team

Post by rivercat »

A question for Hawkeyepierce- what was Coach Royster's career record at Vinton County?

McArthur General
Waterboy

Post by McArthur General »

Phil,
Coach Hale never had more than 2 juniors on the floor at a time. There was a freshman on the floor most of the time also. So I'd say that team was young.

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

Great job Travis.
Travis will be the first to say, "Good talent is easy to coach".
I coached those boys in middle school. They are a great bunch of kids loaded with talent. The freshman and eight grade group are just as talented.
He stareted 2 jrs 2 soph, & a freshman. I would not call a highschool junior old. Starting Jv with the talent VC has is nothing to be ashamed of. Both jrs. will probally start and/or play several minutes next year.

GO VIKES

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I wondered why they were so pumped after many of their baskets against Jackson. I knew they had a good record but I wasn't sure if they just hated us or were going for something special....congrats.

The game I watched they had 3 very good players....I thought they had a 6'6 kid on the floor at most times...but that turned out to be Hale himself...lol

lil vike supporter
Waterboy

Post by lil vike supporter »

Travis Hale has done a great job with the JV team this season. Definitely an important part of Coach Combs' staff. His intensity is what makes him so much better than other JV coaches I have seen.

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

Ironman92 wrote:I wondered why they were so pumped after many of their baskets against Jackson. I knew they had a good record but I wasn't sure if they just hated us or were going for something special....congrats.

The game I watched they had 3 very good players....I thought they had a 6'6 kid on the floor at most times...but that turned out to be Hale himself...lol

I think the thing with Jackson was that Alec Ray was a team mate through the 8th grade, and plus Jackson's Jv was a good team.
Travis could make it two in a row next season, which feels great!

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

rivercat wrote:A question for Hawkeyepierce- what was Coach Royster's career record at Vinton County?

Coach Royster was 175-25, at all levels.

This year JV team started two juniors, two sophomores, and one freshman, which is typical for larger surrounding schools.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I didn't know Alec Ray was from VC.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

McArthur General wrote:Travis Hale, in just his 2nd year, will lead his young squad to an undefeated season with a win over Meigs next week. It took John Royster eight years to accomplish that same feat. Needless to say Hale has outperformed his predecessor thus far. I look for that trend to continue. It's a shame Hale didn't take over as JV coach sooner.

What was Hale's record last year? Also, what was Royster's record his last year?

Back when I was in HS...Royster only lost a total of 4 games in 4 years...If thats not a state record thats pretty DARN close!

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

Congrats on an undefeated season, tough to do at any level. He may get a shot at the head coaching job sooner than some think.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Royster was 20-0 in his last season. He was 138-18 as Vinton County Junior Varsity Coach for eight seasons.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Royster was 20-0 in his last season. He was 138-18 as Vinton County Junior Varsity Coach for eight seasons.

He has a long way to go before he 'outpreformes his predicessor'.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

HP...Do you know his record from 01-02 thru 04-05?

Larry Bird
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Bird »

Having 2 jr starters on a JV team would have to be quite helpful. MHO. Nonetheless going undefeated is a great accomplishment and hard to do at any level. Congrats coach Hale and the vikings.

UAGirl23
Waterboy

Post by UAGirl23 »

Equally as impressive as this year's undefeated season is Coach Hale's abilty to get his players to play well beyond their level of talent. He can take a group of kids that (sorry, parents) stink at basketball and guide them to more wins than even THEY thought possible! It'll be great if this group of kids can finish the season undefeated!

The Jackson game was especially tense. Jackson is good and Coach Hale was coaching against the son of his old HS B-ball Coach.

Great job this season, Hale!

rivercat
Freshman Team

Post by rivercat »

Dundas wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote:Royster was 20-0 in his last season. He was 138-18 as Vinton County Junior Varsity Coach for eight seasons.

He has a long way to go before he 'outpreformes his predicessor'.

Exactly Dundas. That was my reason for asking the question of Hawkeye. Taking nothing away from Coach Hale (Congrats on a great season), but let's not forget what Coach Royster meant to this program. Ask his former players!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I agree with that rivercat. I know or have known pretty much every player Royster has coached and havent heard a single one say anything negative about him or his coaching decisions.

To the guy that said Hale will be a head coach sooner than later...Where at? Southeastern is in shambles now and i could see them needing a coach before too long...Im pretty sure Hale went to High School there and played under Jordan. I dont know anything about the situation...but I would think that would definatly be a possibility.

Return to “Boys Basketball”