River City Classic ( Marietta College)

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

River City Classic ( Marietta College)

Post by EasternDspy »

I see they changed the name of it as last year it was Ohio vs West Virginia.. Does anyone have a schedule? Is the format the same?

LetsGoPSU
SE

Re: River City Classic ( Marietta College)

Post by LetsGoPSU »

whats the dates?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

All day event 12-30

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Tentative schedule
Fort Frye vs Marietta
South Charleston vs Buccanon Upshire??
Caldwell vs Wood County

Also Fort Frye Girls vs Marietta Girls

Ohiofan13
Waterboy

Post by Ohiofan13 »

Well surprised they having it again all the crazy stuff happening too the coach duckworth went to it last year and it was good

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Post by allOhiotraveler »

Buckhannon Upshur is over on the east side of Fairmont, WV. Best thing I can say for them is that they had a girl run track at North Carolina from there. Large school, if not AAA, a larger AA school.

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

I was on the Alexander Committee that put the Classic on and I though long and hard before writing this. Granted we made money off the tournament, but it was not all about the money. We put the tournament on for the fans, players, coaches and yes the basketball junkie. I was born and raised in Marietta (69 graduate). I try to attend college games (various Sport) that Alexander graduates play in. This brought to a Marietta College game. At that game, I had couple thoughts about the gym, one was how beautiful it was and how you could have a high school atmosphere in a college setting. It also took me back to the 60's where I watched schools like Fort Frye, Lower Salem and Marietta Catholic with a players like Connoly, Hanschumachers and Clark boys with my dad. The hard wooden benches of Ban Johnson Field House, Fort Frye's red, white and blue warm-up ball. This kind of took me back to my youth. You cant just put a classic on to put it on, you have to have the passion for the game, the players and the fans. We brought teams in from other areas to let fans see teams they might not normally see. Maybe some of the players and fans would see Marietta College as a future option. The concession stand was operated by groups from the college to earn funds. Also, by bringing fans from out to the area, they ate at the local restaurants. They were also introduced to a beautiful city and its surroundings. It costs money to put the tournament on, officials, events shirts for all of the players and sponsors facility costs. Some of the costs are there even it the event is canceled. After several years of operating the event, it hurt that we were not allowed to have the classic. Also forgive me, if I spelled some of the names wrong, it has been over 50 years.

Return to “Boys Basketball”