Athens head coaching position

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Athens head coaching position

Post by 93Bulldog »

I guess you can add Athens to the list of teams needing a coach.

http://www.athensmessenger.com/sports/l ... user-share

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens head coaching position

Post by Raider6309 »

Weird they waited until last Friday. Hopefully the new coach can put up a win percentage as good as Skinner's second term

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Way too late to make this decision, especially with not bringing back any of the coaches. If anyone else is brought back, they could possibly run them to the shootouts and such, but now it's going to be more difficult for the team to have an effective summer now.

Whomever ends up with the position should be in line for an excellent first season at the very least.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

danicalifornia wrote:Way too late to make this decision, especially with not bringing back any of the coaches. If anyone else is brought back, they could possibly run them to the shootouts and such, but now it's going to be more difficult for the team to have an effective summer now.

Whomever ends up with the position should be in line for an excellent first season at the very least.
I believe they already attended the Chesapeake shootout.

It didn't say anything about not bringing back assistants. Assistant coach Mickey Cozart is capable of doing things so they can still have a productive summer.

dontreply
Freshman Team

Post by dontreply »

I couldn't open the link , did Skinner resign or what happened?
I think he was still the coach there?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Eh, I read the not approving of any coaches as going into a completely different direction.

Corso
Waterboy

Post by Corso »

Imo coach has underachieved. Has had some very good classes come through and not meet expectations. I also think that coach Mitchell from N-Y would be a good fit. Passionate about the game and the kids always liked him. Ive heard he's applied.
Last edited by Corso on Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Corso wrote:Imo coach has underachieved. Has had some very good classes come through and not meet expectations. I also think that coach Mitchell from N-Y would be a good fit. Passionate about the game and the kids always liked him. Ive heard he's applied.
I thought Jay Kline coached NY? I don't remember seeing a Mitchel on the staff? Higgins and the other big fella were the only ones I seen on the Buckeyes bench.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

danicalifornia wrote:Eh, I read the not approving of any coaches as going into a completely different direction.
If you're not going to bring back the head coach, then obviously you're not going to hire anyone at any level until you get things straightened out. Not to mention, if Cozart wants the head job, why would he want to be hired as an assistant? He has probably applied for the head job already.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:Eh, I read the not approving of any coaches as going into a completely different direction.
If you're not going to bring back the head coach, then obviously you're not going to hire anyone at any level until you get things straightened out. Not to mention, if Cozart wants the head job, why would he want to be hired as an assistant? He has probably applied for the head job already.
You're right, I was just saying what I was thinking originally.

Corso
Waterboy

Post by Corso »

Which is pretty self explanatory 93 bulldog. When was their last league title ?

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

To much discipline or lack of discipline, that the question.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Corso wrote:Which is pretty self explanatory 93 bulldog. When was their last league title ?
IDK ,,, You said a "coach Mitchel" from NY would be a good fit and that you think he has already applied. I don't even know who you are talking about or who he is. As an Athens fan and alum, I'm curious who all is interested in the job or who might be hired. Do you have any info on the guy? Where did he coach last? Has he ever been a head coach? What is his record? What kind of offense does he like to run? Etc ,,,

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

Kinda worries me as an athens fan about the decision.. Must have been something pretty serious. Cozart will do a good job if hired. Didn't Mitchell coach fed hock a few games and get in trouble? Or resign or something?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Athens was at Peake Saturday and they had at least 3 "coaches" with them.

Corso
Waterboy

Post by Corso »

Yea Mitchell did coach at Fed for one game and was let go for a comment. But from my understanding and talking to parents from Fed that it was to get Coach Butcher back with that group of kids. The incident happend way before the first game and they waited until after the 1st game to let him go because Butcher was out of town and wouldn't be back till then. The kid wasn't givin a fair shot from my understanding. But that was 3 years ago, I've just always liked his coaching style although it has all came at the JV level at NY . Presses, zones, man, and shoots the 3 ball. Likes to get up and down the court. Just like to see him get another opportunity
Last edited by Corso on Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

From my understanding of that situation at Fed, Joe had no desire to coach, didnt want to coach and only did so because they had nobody else at the time and desperately needed somebody. There was no conspiracy, if they wanted Butcher they would have hired him from the get go.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

The bigger question is there a teaching position open?

Corso
Waterboy

Post by Corso »

So u didn't know where coach Mitchell coached at last or didn't even know him but now u know the situation at fed hock. Usually hire the varsity assistant in the event the head coach is let go. It was butcher job from the start so conspircy very possible. Y wait til after the first game to fire him when the incident took place way before that ? Pat and Joe are very tight wake up

Corso
Waterboy

Post by Corso »

And incident that was a rumor I might add. My understanding was pat wasn't even there but took one word over another. Several kids on the team my son included had his back and thought it was just wrong

Return to “Boys Basketball”