Come on Vinton co. brothers no comments ???????????????

trubbguru
Riding the Bench

Come on Vinton co. brothers no comments ???????????????

Post by trubbguru »

Logan 0-6 Vinton playing well cant believe no one has jumped on this. I got mine.

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Re: Come on Vinton co. brothers no comments ???????????????

Post by Loganchiefsnation »

This should be a good basketball game. Logan took 2 of three last year at Vinton County in the frosh and jv games, but lost the varsity contest. This one should be a solid game, always is. Logan is in desperate need to get a win before the year ends and hopefully the crowd is alive at home Friday. They have been dead the last few weeks. Nice numbers but no noise. VC with 8 straight road games coming up, and Logan plays well at home, but just not well enough lately. I believe the Chiefs knocked off a very good VC team at home 2 seasons ago, so this one should be a great game to watch with all the history and rivalry.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Check out our facebook page for the Vikings Roundball Podcast that will have a preview of the upcoming Logan/Vinton County match-up. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vinton-Co ... 4163930972

Or, you can find us at www.dbkmediaservices.com just click on the VC interlocking logo.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

No offense, but crowds are usually quiet for winless teams. Logan is much better than their record, so I expect a very competitive game. I'll take the Vikings, but in a tight contest.

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

none taken, but when Logan has been winning games and its been exciting, the crowd still stinks. They have no life no matter what. Its disappointing. But I will say the students have been great this year.

trubbguru
Riding the Bench

Post by trubbguru »

Lets do the math. 0 - Playing at Logan no advantage 1 -Talent by far Logan. 2- Size Logan 3-Team play Vinton 4 -Coaching not even in close Vinton. So we add 0+1+2= Logan 3 3+4=7 Vinton 7-3= Vinton by 4 Even though this game shouldn't be close if Logan played together as a unit but weve seen so far how that is working out.

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

Vinton County looks awesome at times. But, I have seen them playing to their competition here lately. Blowing nice 4th quarter leads to make games much closer than they should have. Need to get that "finish them off" mentality going or it will hurt them later. Only one senior in the starting line up, so we have alot of positives going on also. 5-1 is not a bad record. Totally dominated Athens but barely got by Paint Valley. We will see Friday night. Always a good game against Logan.

eaglesrock
Freshman Team

Post by eaglesrock »

skidaddy,
I understand with the frustration losing 4th quarter leads, but the Logan faithful would just like to know what it is like having the lead in the second half. If they do not win this one they may start off 0-10. Hard to keep players into the season at 0-10 and really hard to keep people paying 6.00 to watch it. All I know if this were Keith and they started 0-10 he would have to go into the witness protection program.

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

It does make one wonder how long the powers that be will tolerate the continued losing. They fired Coach Myers with a Top 10 list of things that were wrong with the program and Wins and Losses was #1 and #2 and now its not changing. 0-10 is NOT what I or alot of people thought would be the start to the season; and most thought a 9 or 10 win season could be do-able. But alot of rumblings on different things, parents not happy, and the willingness to cater to too many things OTHER than winning. This is about winning and losing not making role players happy. But the lack of a true PG and a dominate post player are adding to the already long list of issues.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

VC by 7
54-47

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

VC only showed up for 2 of the 4 quarters tonight against an average SE team and lost by 4. Have to shake my head. As I stated earlier, they look like a great team at times, and a JV at others. They need to gel or come tourney time it will be a quick exit. Wellston and Athens are better than SE, and VC handles them easily. They need to quit playing to their competition and put these teams away!!!

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

The Vikings are a pretty good defensive team, but they rely on outside shooting a lot usually a perimeter team will struggle when the jumpers don't fall! They have good athletes but not a deep bench i think foul trouble could hurt them

johnny ringo
Freshman Team

Post by johnny ringo »

skidaddy wrote:VC only showed up for 2 of the 4 quarters tonight against an average SE team and lost by 4. Have to shake my head. As I stated earlier, they look like a great team at times, and a JV at others. They need to gel or come tourney time it will be a quick exit. Wellston and Athens are better than SE, and VC handles them easily. They need to quit playing to their competition and put these teams away!!!
skidaddy,

honestly, it really doesnt matter if you gel as far as the tourny is concerne. vinton co. never has and is never going to have success in the tourney at the D2 level. Warren, who has more talent then vinton on a yearly basis, cant seem to overcome the talent encountered in the districts at the D2 level.

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Look, darlin', it's Johnny Ringo. Deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darlin', should I hate him?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VC will have success in about 4 years. The Jr high teams are flat out the best two back to back classes in the history of VC. You'll see.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

johnny ringo wrote:
skidaddy wrote:VC only showed up for 2 of the 4 quarters tonight against an average SE team and lost by 4. Have to shake my head. As I stated earlier, they look like a great team at times, and a JV at others. They need to gel or come tourney time it will be a quick exit. Wellston and Athens are better than SE, and VC handles them easily. They need to quit playing to their competition and put these teams away!!!
skidaddy,

honestly, it really doesnt matter if you gel as far as the tourny is concerne. vinton co. never has and is never going to have success in the tourney at the D2 level. Warren, who has more talent then vinton on a yearly basis, cant seem to overcome the talent encountered in the districts at the D2 level.
Sir, you are mistaken. Vinton County in 2008 won the Southeast District Championship, only to lose to the eventual State Champions (Chillicothe Cavaliers) in the regional semi-finals. On the other side of that regional bracket was Byesville Meadowbrook and West Muskingham, two teams we would have matched-up very well against, but that is hind-sight. The last three seasons, the Vikings have not been able to get out the sectional losing to Logan Elm twice and Marietta once. However, that is a problem with our sectional. We have teams with double-digit wins and single losses playing for a sectional title, that is not fair for anyone. Two years ago, do you think that Coach Maddox wanted to play a 19-1 Athens team for a Sectional title? No. But if we are talking about the district level, Chillicothe has muddied the waters, sort of speak. Chillicothe is able to draw from (meaning, transfers in) from six other Ross County high schools. Secondly, Chillicothe has a tremendous amount of resources, that can and does cater to the specialized athlete, in this case basketball. Lastly, (this may not be politically correct) but Chillicothe has the African-American athlete. So, until Chillicothe returns to DI or their talent drops off the map, they will always be the cream of the Southeast District, not Warren, not Vinton County, not Logan Elm, not Greenfield McClain, and so on, but Chillicothe. Chillicothe has won four or five district championships since 2006. Furthermore, in that same time span, Chillicothe have had five DI athletes, Givens (football at Miami University), Dawes (baseball at Xavier University), Hitchens (basketball at Akron, now James Madison), Ragland (basketball at UTEP), and now London, who is yet to decide. In that same time span, Vinton County, zero, Warren, one (Venham, football at OU), Logan Elm, zero, anyways, I have made my point.

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

hawkeye you are spot on....good facts to back up your comments....the Warrior faithful hope to get over the distict final ceiling this year (one point losses the last two years to Logan Elm and Chilli)....Warren has never made the regional.....but there is still a lot to play out this regular season....and then a great regular season doesn't buy you wins in the post season, you pointed out Athens two years ago....yes a very tough and wide open DII sectional this year....

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... on the PLUS side to that Logan D2 Sectional for THIS year - 4 teams will make it into the District match-ups at the Convo out of the Logan "post season party" ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

hawkeye- If anything, Chillicothe loses players to the other Ross County schools. The only player that has transferred in from the county schools is Hitchens, who went to Zane Trace for his freshman year. Multiple All SVC performers have come from Chillicothe in the past 5 years as well.

Also, Ray Chambers is now starting at Troy University, so that makes 6. Caleb Knights also had a football scholarship to Air Force, but I'm not sure what happened to that(definitely wasn't grades)

Vinton County will be able to compete in D2 as long as they have Coach Combs, his great staff, and the support of the community. Only Chillicothe, Warren, and Logan Elm have been to the Convo consistently the last 3 years, but I look for VC to be back this season, especially with the extra team going now.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

There you have it. Thank you danicalifornia. Chillicothe's Boys' Basketball Teams have had six (seven if you count Knights) of DI college athletes in less than a decade. Vinton County has only three (Dennis Gregory, basketball, University of Montana; Jason Caudill, football, Ohio U.; Jason Snider, football, West Point) in its 45 years existence.

Our goals every year is to win the league and get to the convo. After that, we will take it one game at a time. Coach Combs has often said that it is a matter of building program. Programs are built in increments; consider Combs tenure, it took him and the Vikings four seasons to win the TVC (should've only taken three, but that is another story), and that same year were competing for district championship (thanks, Dante Jackson) and the following seasons, and finally winning it in season eight. Like I mentioned earlier the sectional has been less than favorable in recent years. And just maybe, with the two junior high classes that have been mentioned, could help extend the success of our program, maybe they can compete for regional titles. The one thing I know for sure, it is not easy and you need some luck during a convo tournament run. And the only thing we can do is set individual expectations, team goals, be prepared and work hard, if that is achieve, I like our chances to succeed in the tournament.

Return to “Boys Basketball”