Trimble 68 Portsmouth Clay 65 OT final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Trimble 68 Portsmouth Clay 65 OT final

Post by pfloyd »

Trimble 68
Portsmouth Clay 65 OT a final

... Tipping off the D4 menu Monday night was Trimble vs Portsmouth Clay ... one of the better games in district action, the only game to go into overtime to determine who moved on and who went home ... the opening period saw both teams turn each over a total of 10 times (Trimble 6/Clay 4) ... the Tomcats Big 2 - Justice Jenkins & Bryce Guthrie - flexed their muscles with Jenkins (7 pts) /Guthrie (7 pts) ... Clay answered with Cole Gilliland's 5 pts for the Panthers - all 5 starters put points in the scorebook in the 1st for Clay ... Trimble 18 Clay 12 end of 1 ... in the 2nd Trimble seemed happy to take the perimeter shot as they finished the 2nd only 1/5 in the 2nd / 2/12 from behind the arc in the first half ... the Tomcat duo of Jenkins/Guthrie continued to take the bulk of the shots on goal as they contributed 7 points between them in the 2nd ... Clay continued to spread the wealth Gilliland (4)/Cameron King (6)/ Anthony Williams (6)/ Nate Hinz (2) ... the Panthers took the lead into halftime Portsmouth Clay 30 Trimble 28 after two ... Portsmouth Clay continued to keep Trimble at arms length in the 3rd by adding to their halftime lead even when Trimble turned up the heat defensively (THS turned over Clay 7 times in the 3rd) ... Trimble shooting guard Randy Hixon got involved in offense hitting a triple (5 points in the qtr) ...Clay was led by Nate Hinz 2 treys (6) Brody Riffe added 4 points ... Portsmouth Clay 45 Trimble 40 end of 3 ... the final quarter of regulation saw Trimble continue to turn up the defensive pressure as Trimble had 5 more TOs in the 4th (12 in the 2nd half of regulation) a 2nd adjustment in the 4th was Trimble taking the ball inside the paint which had the Tomcats getting the line (6/8) ... Cody Jones added 7 pts in the 4th with Randy Hixon hitting a big 3 ball down the stretch ... as the Panthers did the whole game balanced scoring across the board led by Hinz 5 points ... regulation ended with a Gilliland falling away baseline as time ran out ... Trimble 59 Portsmouth Clay 59 end of regulation ... OT saw the only Panther to score was Cole Gilliland (6 points) while Trimble ended up being the balanced scoring team with Hixon 2/ Jenkins 3/ Guthrie 2/ Kameron Curry 2 ... Trimble 68 Portsmouth Clay 65 OT final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Portsmouth Clay ...

Scoring ... Cole Gilliland 21, Cameron King 14, Nate Hinz 13, Anthony Williams 10, Brody Riffe 7

3-Pointers ... 6/14 ... Nate Hinz 3, Cole Gilliland 2, Cameron King 1

FT's ... 5/9

TOs ... 16

... the Portsmouth Clay Panthers have been solid all year ... the first 7 players all return for CHS ... Cole Gilliland not only had 21 points but picked up the double double with 18 rebounds - a solid inside/outside player for the Panthers ... Cameron King a very good PG will get nothing but better for the 2016 campaign add to the mix the role players Nate Hinz/Brody Riffe/Anthony Williams ... Panther Country will be pushing to get back to the Convo next year as well ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Trimble ...

Scoring ... Justice Jenkins 20, Bryce Guthrie 20, Randy Hixon 10, Cody Jones 7, Kameron Curry 5, Tyler Slack 4, Tyler Sayre 2

3-Pointers ... 5/16 ... Justice Jenkins 3, Randy Hixon 2

FT's ... 11/16

TO's ... 17

... Trimble vs Waterford - should be a great game Saturday afternoon ...

rosemount guy
Freshman Team

Re: Trimble 68 Portsmouth Clay 65 OT final

Post by rosemount guy »

Thanks for your input. Was an exciting game and one that we believe the panthers let slip away. Felt like Clay controlled the game after the first quarter, only to see the tomcats storm back the last 5-6 minutes. Hope the panthers work hard this summer and return next year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

rosemount guy wrote:Thanks for your input. Was an exciting game and one that we believe the panthers let slip away. Felt like Clay controlled the game after the first quarter, only to see the tomcats storm back the last 5-6 minutes. Hope the panthers work hard this summer and return next year.

... rosemount guy ... what does the Panthers have coming up from the JV squad ? I saw the Clay @ East game back in December but I can't remember fi there was any size on the JVs ... going to be a battle royale between East , Clay, Eastern, Western next year and I'm thinking Symmes Valley will be in the mix as well ... D4 will get some early "love" from the committee of one in the pre-season rankings ... lots of talented teams with the majority of the talent from this season BACK - as year older, physically bigger/stronger etc. good stuff !!!

rosemount guy
Freshman Team

Post by rosemount guy »

We have a couple freshman this year that could help next year if they put the time in this summer. A sophomore post 6'4" that needs to work hard this summer to add depth. I believe the teams lack of depth hurt this year. I believe our top 5 can be as good as anyone, but we need to work on that bench. You are right the SOC 1 should be a battle next year, don't forget N. Dame returns practically all their team too. I believe our panthers played some of their best basketball in the tournament against Peebles and Trimble. The games hopefully a carryover into next year. This loss still a tough one. Look for the panthers to be even much better next year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I enjoyed watching Portsmouth Clay both times I had the opportunity to see them this season ... when I travel to see teams play - I travel to see "good" teams play - Portsmouth Clay IS one of those "good" teams ... I will make a point to see the Panthers during the regular season next year as well ...

rosemount guy
Freshman Team

Post by rosemount guy »

Thank you for the nice comments. Should you choose to come to one of our home games, let me know ahead of time and we will see you have a ticket at the door. We have a newer facility and nice gymnasium. Thanks again and hope to see you next season at one of our games.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I have passed the new facility off of Rt 23 many times as I head to New Boston to visit my Mom ... I've never had the opportunity to see a game there - I will let you know for sure when I DO come down - obviously Clay will have many many good games vs quality opponents next season - as you mentioned I forgot ND ... lots of chances to see not only the Panthers but East/Eastern/Western/ND/Symmes Valley at your place ... thank you for the kind offer ... definitely will see you next season ... looking forward to it ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”