Vinton County 50 Unioto 47 a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Vinton County 50 Unioto 47 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Vinton County 50
Unioto 47 final

... Basketball Thirty at the Convo ... District level hoops ... one and done ... no style points required ... the name of the game turns to "survive and advance" ... Unioto vs Vinton County , D2 , taking the lid off of the 3 Weeks of the Convo ... 2 very good basketball teams with even better coaches orchestrating courtside ... the Sherman's "heart" returned to the court - Cole Cottrill ... while Sean Caudill "gutted out" an improbable "I'll give it a go" performance for the Vikings ...

... an interesting game ... having watched both teams multiple times throughout the regular season and each in sectional play , I had a good idea as to what I would see from my Cheap Seat location - Unioto with it's decided size advantage on the inside (Hosley/Wheeler/Hill) would be where UHS would focus it's offensive attention especially with VC being handicapped with 2/3 of its' bigs sidelined or at least at a disadvantage with only Wood healthy in the paint ... by getting inside with the BIGS Unioto could open up the outside arsenal that it has as well - Logan Swackhammer/Brandon Kennedy/Gabe Fisher/Cole Cottrill ... Vinton County would need to have its' perimeter game - Derrick Jones/Jordan Albright/Tristan Bartoe/Naylen Yates would have to have big games from the perimeter while Bartoe being able to get inside for points would be a bonus vs the size of UHS ...

... The first 2 quarters followed the "cheap seat" game plan as the Shermans were able to get inside for baskets at the rim BUT not without struggling to get the ball down low ... VC defensively turned the Shermans over 10 times in the first 2 periods ... UHS on 3 straight TOs on their first 3 possessions never got a shot off ... Unioto was able to get enough looks to take quarter break leads of UHS 8 VC 6 after 1 ... UHS 28 VC 18 at intermission ... when you look at the halftime napkin stats , if it weren't for the UHS turnovers Vinton Co. would have been looking at a 20 point deficit at half ... an even closer look had the ONLY Viking with a field goal in the first 16 minutes of play was Naylen Yates ( 12 points, 3 treys, 1/2 from FT line and a 2 pointer for good measure) ... the rest of the VC team went 6/8 from the FT line in the first half - that was it ... Unioto DID what it was intending to do - methodically trying to get inside to use it's BIGS (11 pts from Hill (6)/Wheeler (3), Hosley (2) ) ... when the ball could get inside meant it could be kicked back outside Swackhammer/Edler/Kennedy each knocked down a 3 ball ... the pregame Cheap Seat script was playing out Unioto was controlling the game, throw in the 10 first half TOs it appeared that UHS was able to overcome NOT getting 10 more "shots on goal" ...

... If you follow Vinton Co. basketball you were able to recognize THE missing piece from the VC stat sheet that has always been there all season ... missing was Tristan Bartoe ... UHS kept TB out of the paint in the first half ... if he got by his defender there was a BIG to force Bartoe to give up the ball - very few shot attempts for TB in the first 16 minutes ... with any good program , run by any good coach ,"adjustments" are made during the half and just as importantly "during" the game - in order for VC to have any chance to move on the Vikings "go to guy" HAD to DO what he does better than anyone else in SEOhio - get into the paint - good things happen when TB gets into the paint 1) he gets to the rim - scores 2) he gets fouled & to the line 3) teammates get open looks for a dish from TB ...

... the opening of the 3rd quarter saw UHS behind Gabe Fisher's early 6 points take a 32-18 lead ... but the TO bug stayed with the Shermans as they committed 4 more in the 3rd ... the TOs allowed VC to begin taking control as the TO's stopped any UHS flow, kept UHS from extending the lead ... more importantly it allowed VC & Mr. Bartoe begin to "force" themselves on the game - TB 7 points in the 3rd - just as critical he got VC into the one & one by the end of the 3rd - now VC by putting the ball in Bartoe's hands ... every trip he made into the paint would either give VC a chance for 2 points or would put a Viking on the line with the clock stopped ...in the 3rd VC outscored UHS 15-10 ... Vinton Co. was 4/5 from the line ... Unioto's BIGs had but 2 points in the quarter ... Unioto 38 Vinton Co. 33 end of three ...

... Confidence /Momentum is such a BIG thing in sports - both were now firmly ingrained on the VC side of the court ... Tristan Bartoe had found himself/he was doing what he does best for his team - getting into the paint/dishing/ shooting & making FT's ... for VC their leader was in control and driving the TEAM bus ... add to the mix Chase Wood - go back in time to the Logan Sectional Chase Wood had but 4 fgs in that game but ALL were BIG time fgs of the putback variety OR the game winner , big boards, a big block , MVP effort - fast forward to the district semi final vs Unioto Wood was a major reason that the Unioto big 3 were held to Hosley 6/Wheeler 7/Hill 6 for the game - unbelievable effort by Chase Wood & Sean Caudill who gutted out a great defensive game and hit 2 BIG TIME FTs in the 4th period ... Wood offensively had 2 fgs BOTH in the paint, both contested by multiple big bodies ... Vinton County tied the game at 41-41 with 5:42 to play ... UHS would have the lead but one more time 43-41 with 5:12 to play ... Bartoe & Co. would force 3 more UHS turnovers in the 4th ... Vinton went 10/12 from the FT line in the final period ... Vinton County upended the #1 seed to move on to a meeting with Fairfield Union in the District Finale' ... Vinton County 50 Unioto 47 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Unioto

Scoring ... Gabe Fisher 11, Isaac Wheeler 7, Peyton Hill 6, Erique Hosley 6, Clay Edler 5, Logan Swackhammer 5, Brandon Kennedy 3, Cole Cottrill 2, Casey White 2 ...

3 Pointers ... 3/11 ... Logan Swackhammer 1, Clay Edler 1, Brandon Kennedy 1

FT's ... 6/13

TO's ... 17

... great season finished out by the Unioto ball club of Coach Hoops & staff ... UHS deserved the #1 ranking all season ... in a game vs arguably the NEXT most complete TEAM in SEOhio - Vinton County - 17 Turnovers IS the statistic that stands out ... a potential of 17 shots on goal denied vs a well coached/talented team as VC does make a difference ... thank you to Coach Hoops & staff for allowing pfloyd to share your season ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Vinton County

Scoring ... Naylen Yates 16, Tristan Bartoe 13, Derrick Jones 9, Chase Wood 7, Sean Caudill 2, Jordan Albright 2, Tyler Barnett 1

3 pointers ... 4/17 ... Naylen Yates 3, Tristan Bartoe 1

FT's ... 20/27

TOs ... 7

... VC had to have a TEAM effort to beat Unioto - TEAM showed up ... falling behind by 12 in the 3rd quarter , adjusting the game plan, battling back, taking away not only the ball 17 times via TOS but taking away the 3 BIGS for UHS offensively with a TEAM effort on the boards - it's how champions are made ... outstanding game by players & coaches alike ... looking forward to the Vinton County vs Fairfield Union game for the D2 District crown ...

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Re: Vinton County 50 Unioto 47 a final ...

Post by 1987chieftains »

Wow. Congrats to VC!

AT THE RESERVATION
vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Awesome game last night! The VIKES shocked all of SE Ohio. All but Viking Nation! The tenacious defense and never say die attitude was on full display! So proud of our young men! Let's keep it rolling. Go Vikes!!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Thanks for the rundown, pfloyd. It was great talking hoops and life with you this season, I'll be seeing you down the road!

The Shermans will be alright. The past 5 seasons have been a treat and the next few should be as well. Sure, it's a disappointing end to the season, but there's a ton more positives to the season than negatives.

It might sound lame, but the highlight of the entire season for me was seeing CC back out on the court last night. That was all I wanted for the tournament run was to see him get the chance to play again, even if it wasn't the player we were used to. He did a good job defensively, just you could tell he was a little hesitant on the offensive end (but that escape at mid court was nasty). Say what you will about him playing too many minutes, but the Shermans scored exactly 1 point more in the sectional final than they did last night...the offense had struggled the last 3 weeks of the season and last night was a continuation.

Why did the offense struggle last night? Constant pressure from VC, 3/4 fronting the post, and beautiful helpside defense were all factors. Give the Vikings credit, they were a major cause in the Shermans downfall. They caught a wave of momentum and rode it into the District Finals, where I think they'll have a heck of a chance to advance.

I'm extremely proud to be a Unioto Sherman fan still today, 69-7 over the past 3 seasons. We will miss CC, Sawyer, Bubba, and Erique a ton, they have helped build the program into what it is today and had a lot of fun doing it. Their effort, heart, attitudes, and smiles brought in a ton of fans that will stick around for quite a while to watch the next wave, Bird, Dog, Swack, Kennedy, Hill, and Fisher, along with a good JV group, they should be pushing towards a return to the Convo next year as well. I wish we could just fast forward to November now, but the other SE teams have to go have their fun too. I'm going to log off for a bit, but I'll be rooting for the Vikings the rest of the way.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I brought this from the other thread about the game ...
winningaintcheap wrote:I'm embarrassed to be a Unioto fan right now. We were all just witness to ...

... seriously ??????? 49-3 in the last 2 years and YOU are embarrassed to be a Unioto fan ???? I'm proud to have been an Unofficial Sherman fan for the last 2 years ...not only for the "product" that was on the court every night BUT as a fan of "quality programs" in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... Coach Hoops AND his ENTIRE staff are outstanding ! NO ONE has this kind of success (49-3) in a quality league as the SVC vs quality opponents without having coaches/program/ a system that works ... I have been allowed by Coach Hoops to share some of the off court "extracurriculars" that he/his family does with HIS program - the entire program is a "family" - the kids on the TEAM grow as young men because of the wholistic organization of the program ... embarrassed ?!!! ... because the TEAM didn't play as well as they have shown they can in the past ? because the opponent (VC) did exactly what THEY needed to exploit - even before the CC injury - what imo WAS a weakness or an area that was not a strong suit for UHS ... as an opponent when putting together a defensive strategy one tries to limit the strengths/exploit a weak area - I had in the past texted Coach Hoops and said "I would like to see UHS go up against a team which applies on ball pressure - I thought that THAT was an area to attack" prior to last nights game I told daniC that UHS was a team that you could force the ball into other players hands and make others -those not used to making decisions with the ball - make decisions/make the passes ... I thought VC did this as well as anyone this season - with the decided advantage in the paint UHS forced passes into the post trying to take advantage of their BIGS , many of which resulted in turnovers ... bottomline is that MUCH of last nights UHS performance on the courts was due to Vinton County ... the Vikings - when they had ALL 3 BIGS - Wood/McIntire /Caudell paired with Jones/Albright/Yates and Tristan Bartoe directing the "orchestra" the Vikings were the 2nd MOST COMPLETE TEAM right behind Unioto in SEOhio ... this is the "one & done" season ... a team as good as Unioto WILL lose and did IF they have 17 TOs vs a team as good as Vinton County ... Unioto players/coaches/fans have NOTHING to be embarrassed about !

... as I said , I spoke with daniC prior to the game - he told me that Cole Cottrill had been cleared to play ... I got chills thinking that this young man whose senior season was cut short by an injury was getting the chance "to play one more time , one more game" WITH his TEAM ... the players who played "not to lose" in the post season - an added stress - THEY were playing each game to win not just to advance in the tournament - this TEAM played to win so they could get that one more game ... one more week so their "heart & soul" Cole Cottrill could get out on the court with THEM ! with TEAM ... I was smiling from the time daniC told me to the end of the game ... embarrassed as a Unioto fan !!!???? - this scenario of a group of kids, putting it on their shoulders to come together as a group to not only extend the season so CC could get back ... they learned that having played together as a TEAM , winning as a TEAM, meant MORE than just "playing a game" - they were "playing a game(s)" to give a teammate what HE wanted more than anything - to be out on a court again WITH THEM, win or lose it would be WITH THEM ... learning that there is more to life than "a game" ... working so hard for someone else's dream that of being WITH THEM ... embarrassed ???!!! every Unioto fan , EVERY fan of high school basketball should WISH that their own kids could play for a program for a group of coaches who instill such traits in their kids ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”