Unioto 48 Chillicothe 42 D2 Sectional Final @ Southeastern

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Unioto 48 Chillicothe 42 D2 Sectional Final @ Southeastern

Post by pfloyd »

Unioto 48
Chillicothe 42 final

... "THE REMATCH" ... Chillicothe 64 Unioto 61 was LAST week's regular season final as the Cavs ended the Shermans' 55 game regular season win streak at Hatton Gymnasium ... as Coach Hoops for UHS said before the game tonight THIS is like the Duke vs N. Carolina rivalry BUT the 2 teams here are closer in proximity than the North Carolina interstate foes ... Tonights game had the drama of any "next level" tourney game - the winner moves on while the loser goes home ... one and done ... survive and advance ... however you say it or look at it THIS was a BIG game of D2 , interstate/county/almost intercity teams - the stakes being a D2 sectional championship and a gold ticket to the Convo in Athens next week to take on Vinton County in the first D2 District Semi- final game ... sometimes these "part 2" games don't live up to their billing - not so tonight as neither team ran away and hid ... Chillicothe jumped out to an early 4-0 lead on two Kristian Boltenhouse inside shots at the rim ... game on ! - the crowd was INTO the game ... UHS answered with an 11-0 run to take the lead for good , never to be behind the entire game ... Boltenhouse had 6 points in the quarter for the Cavs while the Shermans found Erique Hosley for 8 points in the paint ... add another 5 points by teammate Gabe Fisher ... the quarter ended Unioto 17 Chillicothe 10 after one ... Quarter 2 was a "wash" as both teams matched offensive output - both putting up 11 points in the 2nd frame ... Unioto got 2 buckets down low from Isaac "Bubba" Wheeler while the Cavs spread the wealth - Boltenhouse/Jordan Johnson/Matthew Benson with 2 each ... Unioto 28 Chillicothe 21 going into intermission ...

... In quarter 3 - Chillicothe shaved off 2 points from the Sherman lead ... Jordan Johnson drained a pair treys from behind the arc & Nathan Rosenbauer picked up his only points of the night on an old fashioned bucket & 1 ... UHS showed their hand by going into the paint to Wheeler for 3 third quarter buckets /Hosley added a bucket from the opposite side of the lane ... Unioto 36 Chillicothe 31 end of 3 ...

... the final 8 minutes saw the Shermans get separation - pushing the lead to 45-35 with 3:18 remaining with Wheeler/Hosley accounting for 3 in the paint baskets ... UHS would score only 3 more points the rest of the way on 3/4 FT shooting by Kennedy/Edler down the stretch ... Chilli would get the score to 38-45 at the 1:25 mark ... where it remained until Seth Barnes knocked down a triple from the corner to draw CHS to 41-45 ... the final points for either side were from the FT stripe as Unioto ran out the clock ... Unioto 48 Chillicothe 42 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Chillicothe

Scoring ... Kristian Boltenhouse 12, Jordan Johnson 10, Branden Maughmer 7, Seth Barnes 5, Nathan Rosenbauer 3, Simon Roderick 3, Matthew Benson 2

3-Pointers ... 4/16 ... Jordan Johnson 2, Simon Broderick 1, Seth Barnes 1

FT's ... 10/19

TO's ... 17

... a few more Napkin Stats that won't be in the paper ... Kristian Boltenhouse had 11 first half points only 1 in the last 2 quarters ... in crunch time of the final quarter K. Boltenhouse never touched the ball in the final 8 minutes other than at the foul line ... Unioto forced 2 Cavs turnovers to open the final 8 minutes - the Shermans made the Cavs pay both times with buckets on the offensive end stretching their 5 point lead at the end of the 3rd to 9 points after the opening 2 possessions of the 4th ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Unioto ...

Scoring ... Isaac Wheeler 14, Erique Hosley 12, Gabe Fisher 7, Brandon Kennedy 7, Logan Swackhammer 5, Clay Edler 3

3 Pointers ... 2/10 ... Brandon Kennedy 1, Gabe Fisher 1

FT's ... 6/15

TO's ... 16

... Napkins stats plus : the Unioto BIGS accounted for 26 of the Shermans' 48 points ... UHS controlled Barnes in the rematch - Seth Barnes put up 25 points vs the Shermans in the first meeting last week ... tonight 5 points for Barnes ... Erique Hosley had a double double on the night - 12 points /15 rebounds ... let's add a monster block that looked like a hockey team icing the puck late in the game as the UHS Big Man swatted a shot attempt 3/4 court ... Cole Cottrill was in uniform tonight ! warmed up with his TEAM - took part in the pregame dunkfest by the Shermans ... I talked to CC briefly after the game - he is chomping at the bit to get back on the court ... best of luck to the Shermans of Coach Hoops as they take on Vinton County at the Convo Friday evening at 6:15 pm in the D2 District opener ! ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Unioto 48 Chillicothe 42 D2 Sectional Final @ Southeastern

Post by danicalifornia »

Thanks for the rundown, pfloyd. There was no way to find you last night once the crowd started to file in lol

Revenge was sweet for the Unioto community last night after the streak was broken last week.

Coach Huffer does a great job over at Chillicothe. I wouldn't be surprised to see these two teams battle over the next few years.

Hosley was a beast last night on the glass and that block was a monster. I'm sure Brandon Kennedy is excited to get away from those unforgiving Southeastern rims. His dribble drive in the 4th quarter was just a sign of what he's going to be able over the next couple of years. Logan Swackhammer did a nice job of controlling the game and getting to the line.

I'm excited for next weekend. Two Unioto greats going against each other on the sidelines for the first time (outside of scrimmages). Coach Combs' boys will definitely be ready for the Shermans. Should be another electric atmosphere!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote:Thanks for the rundown, pfloyd. There was no way to find you last night once the crowd started to file in lol

Revenge was sweet for the Unioto community last night after the streak was broken last week.

Coach Huffer does a great job over at Chillicothe. I wouldn't be surprised to see these two teams battle over the next few years.

Hosley was a beast last night on the glass and that block was a monster. I'm sure Brandon Kennedy is excited to get away from those unforgiving Southeastern rims. His dribble drive in the 4th quarter was just a sign of what he's going to be able over the next couple of years. Logan Swackhammer did a nice job of controlling the game and getting to the line.

I'm excited for next weekend. Two Unioto greats going against each other on the sidelines for the first time (outside of scrimmages). Coach Combs' boys will definitely be ready for the Shermans. Should be another electric atmosphere!

... I got up ONCE to get popcorn & a couple of waters after I had taken my seat - which was straight across from you on the top row, aisle seat behind the Unioto bench - the loudest game I have been to in a long time - sold out, SRO what a great atmosphere !!! ... early in the season I texted Coach Hoops , congratulated him on his win over FU I believe it was, I had watched his Shermans dismantle Logan in game one of the season by 39, against FU Swackhammer went off for 5 threes or something close to that ... anyway I played the devils advocate and said "I want to see Unioto play vs a team that will pressure the ball for 32 minutes - early in the season UHS was in my mind THE complete TEAM in SEOhio , no one else was close ... there was Unioto then everyone else a distant second & beyond ... I have felt that a team which had a deep enough bench to keep fresh legs, hands on the UHS ball handlers for 32 minutes had the best shot at beating the Shermans ... with CC #20 sidelined I feel this IS the way to attack UHS defensively ... keep UHS from setting up offensively and finding the BIGS in the paint ... or just as importantly take the ball out of the guards hands and make the BIGS make decisions with the ball they aren't used to making ... finally pressure on the ball WILL turn the Shermans over giving you a chance to win the transition game ... Next Friday night Unioto will take on a Vinton County team which CAN be physical with the ball handlers , can/will force turnovers on the perimeter out of their man D , can win in the transition game ... I'm ready for it to tip off NOW !!! LOL ... Friday night will be a great opening night for district/regional play ... the 3 Weeks of the Convo - Basketball Thirty with Lou Horvath - the voice of hs hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line - NEW cheap seats ! ... free dogs in the hospitality room ( 93dog have your better half get the Tootsie Rolls BACK in the Hospitality Room !!!) ... meeting up with good friends from ALL OVER SEOhio - talking hoops, giving 93dog a hard time ... Fred "Gibby" Gibson with his hoops knowledge/war stories from his many many many great years courtside coaching A'town ... what's NOT to love about the 3 Weeks of the Convo !!! ...

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

I did see 3 gentlemen sporting John Glenn apparel standing under the locker room side basket. No note taking, but seeing what they'll be up against. I think they have to be fearsome of the intensity and size the SE District brings to the convo.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Vinton County had the whole coaching staff on hand in the Cheap Seats on the Unioto side ... Adena was on hand as I talked to the Coach while standing in the Pass Gate line to get in ... I'm sure there were other in attendance - it was like a "Where's Waldo" page trying to find people in the stands - packed !!! SRO - Perfect for High School Hoops !!!

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Greqat atmosphere PFloyd. Would have been nice to finely meet you. You need to post a picture on here so we know who we are looking for. Should be a great game Friday at the Convo. Waverly fan here but love good basketball anywhere it is played. Off topic question. As we were leaving there was something in the hallways that was making everyone cough. Something in the air. Anyone have any idea what that might have been.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

John Glenn has one of the best wins for any D2 team in the state this season. They won at Akron St.Vincent St.Mary, which at the time was ranked #1 in the state in D2. If they make the Convo for the regional, they will be a very tough out for anybody. They also have the experience of playing at the Convo last season. I would love to see the SE district represented at the state, but I don't think any team from outside our district will be intimidated by whomever.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

They weren't in fear of ASVSM height, but they'll be in fear of the size in the SE? I'm guessing not... they have two guards that are like 6'3" or 6'4". They're not tiny. They press like crazy, shoot the heck out of the ball, and play good defense.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

JG only has one guys over 6'2 and he's a perimeter player. But, yeah they won't be bothered by size. They did play half court games at the Convo last year for some reason.

And who cares about JG right now. Certainly not Unioto, they have a very tall task in front of them on Friday.

Return to “Boys Basketball”