Vinton County 54 Warren 52 a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Vinton County 54 Warren 52 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Vinton County 54
Warren 52 final

IF you are a fan of boys high school hoops , tonight’s matchup between Warren & Vinton County in the Logan D2 Sectional had ALL of the potential to be a barnburner/slugfest/white knuckler/slobber knocker – any one of the cliché’s you want to dust off and throw on a computer screen – it was going to be a good one … TVC vs SEOAL … 2 great coaches in Coach Combs (VC) and Coach Maddox (WHS) … both champions of their respective leagues … two of the best high school basketball programs in the SouthEast District … a gym packed with passionate fans on both sides of the court … it was more than appropriate that the outcome was not decided until the final 2.6 seconds – from my perch in the Cheap Seats it added up to a darn near “perfect” game for any fan of the game …

On paper, I had VC the favorite in this one – imo the inside BIGS for VC would be a major factor in this - physically stronger than Warren in the paint … I felt that VC had MORE perimeter scorers than Warren (Bartoe/Jones/Albright/Yates) … and VC had Mr. Tristan Bartoe – a kid that handles the ball as well as anyone, can get into the paint/to the rim better than anyone in SEOhio … in my little mind, Warren would have to score from the perimeter – Dennis, Hall, Gandee had to have a big “perimeter” night – if they did it would negate the interior game of the VC BIGS by committee – Wood/McIntre/Caudill … IF Coach Combs’ troops were hitting on all cylinders Warren would be in trouble … at the game I found out that Caudill is out for the season/McIntre was in street clothes … “write it down – game on ! with 2 of the 3 BIGS out for VC this was going to be a tight one” – darned if I wasn’t right on the money – closer than close … a great game was seen by everyone in attendance … congratulations to both teams/coaches/fans for both sides – high school hoops/one & done season – Perfect …

… Quarter number one had the Vikings throwing the first punches Derrick Jones/ Jordan Albright and Tristan Bartoe staked VC to the early 10-2 lead at the 3:56 mark of the 1st … Bartoe showed his entire repertoire hitting his patented floater in the paint for 2 pts. followed by a triple and bookended with a drive to the rim (7 pts in the quarter) … Warren won the last 3:56 seconds of the 1st outscoring VC 7-2 to finish the quarter Vinton County 12 Warren 9 after one …

… Quarter 2 saw Vikings Albright & Bartoe BOTH pickup their 2nd foul … both spent minutes on the bench … while the Viking duo shared time on the bench Warren fought back into the game led by Bryce Gandee’s 7 point 2nd period (10 in the half) … 4 points by Warren 6-6 junior Chase Weihl and a triple from Kyler Dennis in the Warrior final possession of the half … VC shared the wealth in the period - Jones with 3/ Bartoe added 4 pts. and off the bench Naylon Yates hit 5 points in the 2nd … a key napkin stat in the quarter was VC went 2/2 from the FT line while Warren was 1 for 4 from the line … Vinton County 26 Warren 24 at intermission …

Quarter #3 … saw Vinton Co. jump out to its’ biggest lead at 33-26 with 3:54 to play in the quarter – Naylen Yates continued to be the man as the 6th man hit 7 points in the quarter … Warren however reeled the Vikings back in behind Luke Drayer (6 pts) & Chase Weihl (4 pts) with a chip in trey by Kyler Dennis 3 pts … the key FT napkin stat – Warren 0 for 4 in the 3rd … Warren 37 Vinton County 36 end of 3 …

… the final period was what keeps us Cheap Seat guys coming back in the post season … both teams knowing that there are only 8 minutes left to decide “Who will be the last team standing after 8 more minutes?” … Warren had senior Luke Drayer (8 pts in the quarter) trying to carry the team to one more win & a “next” game … VC’s Derrick Jones drilled 2 big time 3 balls (8 pts in the quarter) … VC’s BIG MAN in the middle came up BIG in the final period … he was the dominating presence in the paint I thought he would be (8 points for the game) but EVERY ONE of the 8 points were BIG BIG buckets – on put backs at crucial times for VC … the final period was played tight at both ends … at the 2 minute mark the scoreboard showed VC 48 Warren 48 … at 1:38 Kyler Dennis hit a triple to give Warren a 3 point 51-48 advantage … :53 to play the game was tied 52-52 … Warren ball … easy to say AFTER the game but the Warriors instead of going for the final shot elected to go for the lead with :34 left … a drive by Luke Drayer who had been money getting to the rim all night had his shot roll off the back of the rim … VC with the board and the ball … Bartoe across the midcourt stripe time out Vinton with 17 ticks on the clock … advantage Vinton – the arguably BEST “one on one” pg in SEOhio on the court … I jotted down on my napkin stat sheet “Bartoe to the rim … make or to the FT line” … I was half right – Bartoe did take the ball to the rim (check) … this is why I’m in the cheap seats and not courtside – Bartoe took it into the paint – drawing 2 defenders/ instead of going up for the shot Bartoe fed the waiting BIG MAN Chase Wood for an easy 2 points … Vinton up 2 points … with 2.6 seconds to play Warren put up a prayer from mid court … Vinton County 54 Warren 52 a final …

… Pfloyd’s Official “unofficial” Napkin Stats – Warren …

Scoring …Luke Drayer 18, Chase Weihl 11, Bryce Gandee 10, Kyler Dennis 9 , Seth Hall 3, Josh Huffman 1 …

3 Pointers … 5/15 … Kyler Dennis 3, Bryce Gandee 2

FT’s 3/11

TO’s … 10

… Warren hit the outside shots they needed to hit 5/15 from downtown … Coach Maddox’s boys did a great job holding their own in the paint giving up only 8 points to Wood – perfect … the Warrior D kept Bartoe controlled/ foul trouble/ out of the paint all night (Hall stole the ball twice from Bartoe) … Chase Wood hit 4 “BIG SHOTS” for the game – put backs at key points in the game to keep VC from falling behind WHS by more than 1 possession PLUS the game winner on the assist from Bartoe to end the game … all night Warren had hands on the ball defensively – any ball going inside was scratched/clawed at by multiple sets of hands forcing multiple TOs by VC … the killer tonight for Warren FT's ... 3/11

… Pfloyd’s Official “unofficial” Napkin Stats – Vinton County …

Scoring … Tristan Bartoe 15, Naylen Yates 14, Derrick Jones 13, Chase Wood 8, Jordan Albright 4

3 Pointers … 7/12 … Derrick Jones 3, Naylen Yates 2, Jordan Albright 1, Tristan Bartoe 1

FTs … 9/12

TOs … 17

… Congratulations to the Vikings … well played game at both ends of the court … another Key Napkin stat besides Warren going 3/11 from the FT line … was Vinton’s bench vs Warren’s bench :

VC’s bench Naylen Yates/Caleb Montgomery 14 points
vs
Warren’s bench of Josh Huffman 1 point

Best of luck to Vinton County as they will take on the winner of Unioto/Chillicothe at Basketball Thirty at the Convo next Friday night (2/26) at 6:15pm …

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: Vinton County 54 Warren 52 a final ...

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Congrats Coach Combs and team, best of luck!

Warren, nice season and thank you to the Seniors for a great 4 years.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

Great article. I think the post player for VC is Chase Wood, not Ward.

Great win Vinton County. Go TVC.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I stopped reading at 3/11

SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

I quit a lot earlier

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Excellent write up Floyd. Great seeing you last night!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote:I stopped reading at 3/11
That could've been the headline! They were 2-3 in the 4th quarter if you're looking for any positive out of that.

Great, great HS basketball game. Big shots throughout the 4th quarter.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

spartans_fan wrote:Great article. I think the post player for VC is Chase Wood, not Ward.

Great win Vinton County. Go TVC.
... thanks for the correction spartans_fan - ahhhh my gosh - to get HIS name wrong - he Chase WOOD was such a BIG factor in this one ! not only having EVERY bucket be a BIG bucket at a BIG moment in the game either to reel Warren back in or to keep VC up OR to get the "W" ... 3 of the 4 fgs were put-backs on BIG offensive boards by Chase WOOD ! throw in a BIG block on a Warren drive on the baseline late in the game ... in my world Chase Wood gets the game ball for last nights VC win and golden ticket to A'town /Basketball Thirty at the Convo next week ...

... my apologies to Chase Wood on the error ... I attribute it to the triple shots of NyQuil I did last night to quell the coughing fits I have going on LOL ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”