Unioto - Brandon Kennedy, Gabe Fisher
Westfall - Chase Adams, Chase Anderson
Zane Trace - Darby Pillow, Alex Wolff

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: All Scioto Valley Conference Picks

Post by danicalifornia »

Congrats to all that made it.

It's too bad that the league won't allow for Honorary members, it takes away from other kids getting honored.

I'm sure there will be some issues that will be raised with how these teams ended up. That's why I thought I'd post them, to get the conversation going.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Some food for thought:

I look at Paint Valley, who finishes seventh in the league, and they get a first, second and two honorable mentions. Westfall, who finishes tied for second, gets a first, third and two honorable mentions. Makes it look like PV had the better season.

I have no problem with Swingle and McFadden being where they are. Both are very solid players and are a pleasure to watch. But I think you could've at least made Cottrill an honorary first-teamer, along with perhaps McFadden for honorary second-team, since both missed close to half the season, and bump a kid like Mink up to second-team. Doing something like that makes the list break down more evenly and matches up to where folks finished more.

I would've made Cottrill and McFadden both honorary. I move Mink to second team and add Kennedy and Adams to third team. Unioto is so balanced, I can make an argument for their five starters to all make the top three teams.

The coaches have a tough job to do and I know there are bylaws they have to follow. But bylaws can always be re-examined.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

I could also argue for a co-player between Thomas and Mowery. Both players are fantastic talents.

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

There is never an easy answer to the unique situation we had this year with injuries. Thought Mowery and Thomas would have been CO POY. Also like the idea of the Honor Members idea. You can look at and move a lot of these pieces around a bit but to me the biggest snub was Adams at Westfall. He had a great year for them on a team that finished in a second place tie. I wont get into who I would bump but just to say he deserved it. Congratulations to all the athletes. It was another fun year to watch.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Why only four players on the second team?

Rosscoresident
Freshman Team

Post by Rosscoresident »

petesweaty wrote:Why only four players on the second team?
I believe there was a tie for the 5th spot on first team, meaning 6 got first team. Thus 4 on second team. That's what it looks like anyway

LIGHTSOUT
Riding the Bench

Post by LIGHTSOUT »

Just a question???? Doesn't the POY come from the team that wins the league?

Rosscoresident
Freshman Team

Post by Rosscoresident »

LIGHTSOUT wrote:Just a question???? Doesn't the POY come from the team that wins the league?
If you look back at the history of the SVC, you will find MANY examples of that not happening. I went back and counted 18 times since 1963. That does not include times that a non-championship team had a co-POY

LIGHTSOUT
Riding the Bench

Post by LIGHTSOUT »

So....the POY was based on statistical data?

Catspaw
Riding the Bench

Post by Catspaw »

The conference coaches vote on these honors. They decided Thomas had the best year.

Snotnose
Riding the Bench

Post by Snotnose »

bman - I think what it tells you with the coaches voting PV players on first and second team, is that PV's team completely underachieved this year. Also, you can argue a team that finishes last doesn't deserve a selection, opening up a spot for another Unioto or Westfall player.

BlueDuck
Riding the Bench

Post by BlueDuck »

bman wrote:I could also argue for a co-player between Thomas and Mowery. Both players are fantastic talents.
You could make that argument (and I would as well), as both players had nearly identical numbers and both teams finished with nearly identical records.

Agree that the by-laws could change as well, although I would simply advocate removing any clause (or assumed courtesy) that every team gets at least one spot.

Kennedy (UHS) was easily a top 15 player in the league, and I would have loved to see either Adams or Anderson make it from WF as well.

Rosscoresident
Freshman Team

Post by Rosscoresident »

I would assume that the one thing that separated the two was that Mowery missed 5 SVC games at the beginning of the year. You are right that their numbers were almost identical on a per game basis.

Return to “Boys Basketball”