Beaver Eastern 67 over Portsmouth Clay 49

Hoggy
SEOP

Beaver Eastern 67 over Portsmouth Clay 49

Post by Hoggy »

Congrats to Coach Barrick and his Eagles for finishing the season strong and defeating the visiting Clay Panthers at the Eagles' nest. An 18 point victory after a small skid is the perfect medicine for any team heading into the tournament .

Apparently the Eagle's defense is performing very well and has held their opponents to 44 and 47 the last two games. However, the offense decided to show up tonight as compared to the 41 they put up against Notre Dame. Not taking anything away from the Notre Dame defense with that comment either.

Rosemountguy, what is your assessment and opinion about tonight's game? How in the world did Coach Barrick manage to put together a game plan that allowed his group to take your Panthers out behind the wood shed and deliver an Owl Creek style smack down on them that was worthy of Stan Spence to sing his famous version of Kaw-liga? Was Clay off tonight or did Eastern demonstrate their ability to put four quarters together?

I really don't know why, but for some reason I felt it appropriate to share this after I read some of your comments from another thread in regards to Eastern and Coach Barrick. I suggest a piece of humble pie as a side dish.

(Eating crow is an American colloquial idiom, meaning humiliation by admitting wrongness or having been proven wrong after taking a strong position. Crow is presumably foul-tasting in the same way that being proven wrong might be emotionally hard to swallow.) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_crow).

Hoggy
SEOP

Re: Beaver Eastern 67 over Portsmouth Clay 49

Post by Hoggy »

Is King from Clay.....Arnold's son by chance? If so, comes from a good family and basketball is part of their DNA.

Spectator555
Waterboy

Post by Spectator555 »

Hoggy wrote:Is King from Clay.....Arnold's son by chance? If so, comes from a good family and basketball is part of their DNA.
I think that is his son, they sure do look alike lol, good ball player definitely runs in the family. And for the game, some of the kids for Clay didn't step up tonight,also mentioning that Clays coach didn't seem to change their game plan either. Coach Barrick gets a 5+ point lead then he's going to slow the pace down and try to withhold that lead. Clay battled back in the 3rd and 4th and got it within 3 points, Martin hit a few threes, and Clay started to fold. Felt like King played well as well as Clays starting center (not sure of name) other than that Gilliland and Himze didn't seem like a factor in tonight's game which really hurt them offensively.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Hoggy wrote:Congrats to Coach Barrick and his Eagles for finishing the season strong and defeating the visiting Clay Panthers at the Eagles' nest. An 18 point victory after a small skid is the perfect medicine for any team heading into the tournament .

Apparently the Eagle's defense is performing very well and has held their opponents to 44 and 47 the last two games. However, the offense decided to show up tonight as compared to the 41 they put up against Notre Dame. Not taking anything away from the Notre Dame defense with that comment either.

Rosemountguy, what is your assessment and opinion about tonight's game? How in the world did Coach Barrick manage to put together a game plan that allowed his group to take your Panthers out behind the wood shed and deliver an Owl Creek style smack down on them that was worthy of Stan Spence to sing his famous version of Kaw-liga? Was Clay off tonight or did Eastern demonstrate their ability to put four quarters together?

I really don't know why, but for some reason I felt it appropriate to share this after I read some of your comments from another thread in regards to Eastern and Coach Barrick. I suggest a piece of humble pie as a side dish.

(Eating crow is an American colloquial idiom, meaning humiliation by admitting wrongness or having been proven wrong after taking a strong position. Crow is presumably foul-tasting in the same way that being proven wrong might be emotionally hard to swallow.) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_crow).
love it!

GO EAGLES
rosemount guy
Freshman Team

Post by rosemount guy »

The Eastern kids played with a lot of emotion last night and out played the Clay team. Congratulations , and good luck to both teams moving forward into the tournament. Never predicted Clay win , in fact said the #2 seed would be the favorite, not surprised but disappointed by the outcome.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

A few things to mention about last nights game . First I thought it was real classy of coach barrick , when he put all his seniors on the floor with about a minute to go , and then pulled them out , around 10 seconds , so that they could get 1 more ovation from the home crowd, congratulations to all the seniors and thank you for your hard work u have put in .
And second , after the game , they announced for the home crowd to stay seated after the game , and after the handshakes between teams , the team got in front of the home crowd, and sang the school fight song, it was a really cool moment for Eagle fans , I thank coach barrick for that as I believe it was prolly his idea, it was pretty cool, I would like to see that become a tradition now at eastern.
And a great job by the pa announcer coach Scott Tomlinson , he's awesome at announcing games, and another great job by the best band in the SOC.
Congrats to the Eagles on the win , and now get ready for the most important part of the season, the tournament run , it's win or go home .GO EAGLES!!!!!

IWacthFromTheStands
Waterboy

Post by IWacthFromTheStands »

It was a good defensive game plan by eastern to never allow Hinze or Gilliland get going offensively, forced them to shoot really bad shots and made them turn it over a lot. King on the other hand played really well. He is the only reason they put up the amount of points that they did put up. Better has really gotta stop running his current game plan and actually switching the gameplay as the game goes on. Gotta let King play his game and stop holding him back. The final score was by 18, but Clay had Eastern fans sweating in the stands in the third and fourth quarter. It was a lot closer of a game than what the final score says. Looking forward to watching these tournament games and for next season also.

Return to “Boys Basketball”