Waterboy

Re: Peebles vs Clay Sectional Championship

Post by Cats81 »

Clay 46 - peebles 36 in 4th

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Radio said Clay was up 10 with a minute left.

Tried to tell y'all, Clay can play! Both SOC's were very good this year.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Layne_adams05
Waterboy

Post by Layne_adams05 »

Beaver92 wrote:32-24 clay. Half
Do you have a final?

Pipefitter577
Riding the Bench

Post by Pipefitter577 »

Final...55-42 Clay

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Clay won 55-42

Very nice win and margin.

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

Congrats to Portsmouth Clay tonight. Good all around game. Once again my Indians missed a bunch of layups and got out played tonight. The Arey boy couldn't see the floor at all tonight with that mask on. Good luck panthers at the Convo.

Go2thebasket
Waterboy

Post by Go2thebasket »

Clay won by taking away Peebles cuts to the basket and anything in the paint away. Gilliland owned the paint rebounding and shots blocked or altered. Riffe and Hinze were hitting shots for Clay in the first half and King and Gilliland provided the offense in the 2nd half. I was very impressed with Peebles depth and athleticism but they just were not able to translate that into fast break opportunities or shot creation. All five of Clay starters probably had 10 points and I heard on radio on way home that Gilliland was the Gattis player of the game.

rosemount guy
Freshman Team

Post by rosemount guy »

rosemount guy wrote:We need King, Hinze, Gilliland, Riffe and Williams to each go for 10-20. Not saying King at 30 would not be good, but a balanced attack would be better. Will come down to the shots falling. I believe Clay struggled against man to man because of a lack of screens. I would have made sure a couple defenders this year got a good slobber jaw screen. Just the way you ease that tight man to man over full court. Expect a close competitive game, just have to wait and see.
The balance scoring a big plus for the Clay team. Nice to see some ball screens. Clay defense and rebounding outstanding against a good Peebles team.

asb
Freshman Team

Post by asb »

Rodeo1 wrote:Arey, Kremins are defensive minded. Two more players,Conley who missed most of last year and part of this year,Schmitz who missed all of last year and half of this year are just getting their legs back. Both came back to active play just after the first of January.in the last few games they have played for arey who had he's nose broken in two places. All are back and playing good defense and knocking down threes and dribble drive and dish. Peebles is deeper now than they have been all year. I look for a good run from Peebles. We are just now deeper than we have been for years.
Peebles was deep

asb
Freshman Team

Post by asb »

biggdowgg wrote:Haven't seen clay , but to beat peebles they better bring their A game because Peebles is very good
I've watched clay and they aren't that bad at all

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

asb wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:Haven't seen clay , but to beat peebles they better bring their A game because Peebles is very good

I like I said , last night is the first time I seen them , and from talking to a couple parents the did indeed bring their A game ,esp getting double figure scoring from 4 of 5 starters ,that's what it takes to beat good teams ,can't rely on just one player.

Good luck to clay against Trimble and congratulations on the win.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Congratulations to Clay and East for representing the SOC and moving onto the Districts!

Watching SE Ohio basketball
asb
Freshman Team

Post by asb »

biggdowgg wrote:
asb wrote:

I like I said , last night is the first time I seen them , and from talking to a couple parents the did indeed bring their A game ,esp getting double figure scoring from 4 of 5 starters ,that's what it takes to beat good teams ,can't rely on just one player.

I think that's what portsmouth ran into (relying on 1 player) If you're referring to East they had 3 starters in double digits(Bowne 43, Scott 21 &12 Lowe had 11 (around his avg)they had 81 points I believe so a few points came from other players lol, their Freshman weren't on like they usually are but they'll be fine (just wait for it)....just seemed like Brown was in a Zone and wasn't going to be dined (43 points without a 3 point goal while only missing about 5 shots) and they still overcome a great shooting team last night (well at least they were a great shooting team last night)....Being a Trojan fan I'm sure you know the difference between relying on one guy and someone being in a Zone with all the great tradition they have.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I was not even thinking of East, I was only referring to the clay game ,I knew peebles plays a good defense and I knew clay would need scoring from more then one player.

I am very aware of any team having a kid in a zone ,and Akia was no doubt in it last night , but thats no big surprise ,he is good enough to play like that on a daily bases ,

like I said I was not knocking on East I was aware they had points fr other players,and you are right East will be just fine

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

And yes ,I've seen KY"re have to try to handle the load more then once

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

biggdowgg wrote:
asb wrote:

All year the Indians had a bad habit of not finishing at the rim. The games they lost were just like last night. Missing layups. Seemed to be a lid on the basket.Gordley couldn't seem to get it to fall on his jumpers, outside shooting was not there for anyone. Good defense by Clay. Gordley#44,Arey#11with the mask on and Parrett #23 the point guard will be back next year for the Indians. Sad for me is the loss of the seniors who made back to back trips to the regionals only to run into the very good Carrol district schools each year. Good luck to Clay in the district games. I'll be there. Maybe I'll run into ya there biggdowgg.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Rodeo1 wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:
asb wrote: I've watched clay and they aren't that bad at all

All year the Indians had a bad habit of not finishing at the rim. The games they lost were just like last night. Missing layups. Seemed to be a lid on the basket.Gordley couldn't seem to get it to fall on his jumpers, outside shooting was not there for anyone. Good defense by Clay. Gordley#44,Arey#11with the mask on and Parrett #23 the point guard will be back next year for the Indians. Sad for me is the loss of the seniors who made back to back trips to the regionals only to run into the very good Carrol district schools each year. Good luck to Clay in the district games. I'll be there. Maybe I'll run into ya there biggdowgg.

We go to the convo every year no matter who is playing to watch great basketball , it's always a better time when your team is playing but even if they aren't it's still fun to see and support the other local teams and to see teams you have not seen , always some great basketball , be good to talk some basketball with you

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

biggdowgg wrote:
Rodeo1 wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:

We go to the convo every year no matter who is playing to watch great basketball , it's always a better time when your team is playing but even if they aren't it's still fun to see and support the other local teams and to see teams you have not seen , always some great basketball , be good to talk some basketball with you
There probably won't be the sea of red from the Peebles fan base there this year but I will be there for Eastern Brown and Lynchburg Clay to put in my two cents at the best venue in southeastern Ohio sports.

Return to “Boys Basketball”