TOURNAMENT DRAW SUNDAY!

Pol pot
SE

Re: TOURNAMENT DRAW SUNDAY!

Post by Pol pot »

4out1in wrote:Any chance someone from sedab might get the brackets up on the OHSAA site? Little slow this year. Districts around the state that don't start for 2 weeks are up already.
They do not control that website,

Seodab.org

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

93Bulldog wrote:
Pol pot wrote:
Falcon01 wrote:
Yes I realize this... doesn't change that it was fun to follow and the online seeding is stupid.

On-line seeding is done in all the other districts.

And the hold up of a super sectional like some other Districts is the emerge travel that could happen in this very large District.
How do they do online voting in the districts where you pick where you want to be on the bracket? I'd think that would be impossible?

The online voting is done the exact same way, they just have more teams to vote on.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'm still a bit confused, if you get to pick where you want to be on the bracket, how can you vote from your computer? I guess you can vote online for the seeding or picking order, but after that, you'd have to be all together before filling out the bracket.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

I still don't get why all the other districts do the seeding so that teams can pick where they want to go. Why not keep it like the Southeast or NCAA tournament styles where it's a normal tournament?

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

93Bulldog wrote:I'm still a bit confused, if you get to pick where you want to be on the bracket, how can you vote from your computer? I guess you can vote online for the seeding or picking order, but after that, you'd have to be all together before filling out the bracket.
With the open draw in the Central District, voting is done on-line and the coach is given a print out on that Sunday with his seed and who voted for who. The meeting in the Central District on Sunday is for coaches to place their respective teams on the bracket.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Pol pot wrote:
bman wrote:
Pol pot wrote:

On-line seeding is done in all the other districts.

And the hold up of a super sectional like some other Districts is the emerge travel that could happen in this very large District.
No offense, but that excuse is old and really a cop out.

Keep the neutral sites, like SE, Logan, Athens, Waverly, etc. Place the games at the best site.

For example, SE could host Logan Elm vs. Waverly and Washington Court House vs. Vinton County. Jackson could host Hillsboro vs. Marietta and Westfall vs. River Valley and on down the line.

Also, this is already done in other sports. Two years ago we had South Point travel to Circleville for a girls soccer sectional game. Keeping the neutral sites will keep travel manageable.

There are a few more logistics to have than in the girls soccer tournament where you have 20 teams total, this has been quizzed and looked into and is being worked though, it's just not ready at this time. And the Super sectional has home games to the highest seeds, not a plethora of games at 4 different sites, where do you draw a line in who gets to host Minford v Burg and Burg gets that Home Court advantage, but on the other side it's Alexander v Eastern Brown and it goes to Waverly because it's over 100 miles, you don't think there would be hell raised over that? Minford mad because Burg is getting an advantage and Eastern Brown is mad because they are not getting an advantage of being the higher seed. No worries though, when this happens, there will be plenty on here stating how silly that is. Just like the online voting, a lot clamor end for it, now that it's here just troll the threads and take count of how many do not like it.
The Central District had neutral sites for all of their sectional games until two years ago. That's a 43-to-48 team bracket for Division I, far more than our largest division. The Central District went to home sectional games due to revenue, which is partly due to all of the new high schools and a lack of built in fan base. Amanda-Clearcreek had to travel nearly 90 miles one way a couple of years ago for a basketball tournament game. They survived somehow.

I agree that the best method, at least in the beginning, would be to keep the neutral sites and use as many schools as we can in the halfway line in the district, roughly ranging from Waverly over to Athens. I know the schools have to agree to host games and all of them might not want to do it, but we have a good start with SE, Waverly, Jackson, Logan and Athens.

I really don't get your example of Minford-Burg and Alex-EB. If we stay with neutral sites or go to home sectionals, it should be the same for all of the games. Game time could be 6 p.m. on Monday-Thursday for home sectional and the road team will be on the bus for home by 8:30 at the latest.

I can appreciate this takes time, but it's been obvious for years that change needs to happen and was reinforced with Athens getting the screw job in 2014. We've had two seasons since then. It's time to make the change. There are going to be bumps along the road, as there are with any change.
Last edited by bman on Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

If we wanted to go to home sectional games, this would take a couple of years to readjust league schedules, but sectional semifinals could be played on Friday, 2/12 and Saturday, 2/13 and sectional final games on Friday, 2/19 and Saturday, 2/20. Travel isn't such an issue with school not on the next day. Snow days could be built in on Sunday or given terrible weather, sectional games could be played at 6 p.m. on Monday. Teams are on the bus by 8:30 p.m. for home.

If we have a bad winter and need to play makeups, it can be done during the week break between sectional games.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

The Central also doesn't cover 200 miles in width and 100 miles North to South. Go to the baseball/softball board, all you get in the spring is bitching about the travel distance in tournament. Face it regardless what the powers that be do, they will catch flack and be accused of not caring. But such is life.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Hell Pol pot, some people will bitch if there ice cream is cold.

Return to “Boys Basketball”