Notre Dame @ Eastern Pike 2/12

TheSportsGuy
Freshman Team

Re: Notre Dame @ Eastern Pike 2/12

Post by TheSportsGuy »

So a lifetime of molding young people into men of character (and winning a ton of games along the way) means nothing? Some people work their entire lives to build up good will, gain others' confidence, etc. Coach Barrick's past proves at least one thing, the man can coach! If our past credentials/record didn't matter than why do we keep track? The Eastern Local school board could have just hired basketball expert rosemount guy since experience doesn't matter :lol: .

I'm not saying that a guy get a lifetime pass, but cite what you think he has done wrong. Even then, not sure your opinion would matter versus his track record. What could Coach Barrick be doing differently in your expert opinion? I personally think the Eagles would have struggled this season, probably around .500 if not for having a proven coach at the helm. It's his first year at the place! They returned 1 starter from last season! This is one of the deepest and best seasons in the league's history in comparison to other teams from throughout the district!

I haven't seen you post on here about Clay's shortcomings this season. They win the league last year with a sophomore-laden team and were the clear front runners again this season. No posts bashing Coach Betten? Surely it must be his fault...Won't tonight's game decide who is in 3rd/4th in the league? Must be completely unacceptable that they slid from 1st to 4th?

rosemount guy
Freshman Team

Post by rosemount guy »

Do not make me come out of timeout! Not gonna fall for the bait. Just wait it out. Now you are the muck stirrer!

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

The bantering among fans is what makes this board entertaining and you have contributed and created great conversations. However, when you try to bash an accomplished and successful coach.....well, you lower your value and credibility as a poster. Why not simply comment on the game(s) and keep the personal agenda out of it?

The league was very competitive this year and more than likely, it will be just as competitive if not more next year. It has been a long time since this league was more than a two or three team race and I for one, have enjoyed following the conference this year. I will now begin rooting for all SOC I & II teams as they enter the second part of their seasons. Having a tournament seasoned coach such as Coach Barrick is a great attribute for any school and I am more than happy that he is at Beaver. Good luck to all SOC schools!

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

My 2 cents! The biggest downfall for Eastern is the depth of the league. Their were 6 VERY good teams this year. And there will be just as many next year. I know ND and East doesn't lose anyone. I'm thinking Clay loses 1 maybe none. Eastern loses 3 but they are deep and will bring back a lot of experience. If you thought this year was exciting, wait til next year!! In the mean time, good luck to all the SOC 1 schools!! I'll be rooting for all of you, unless you play ND!! Lol

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

good game coach barrick had tonight with his eagles that man to man defense sure worked tonight beating clay 67-49 good job coach and the boys played with fire I like it.

GO EAGLES
EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

Hope Rosemount guy had a safe drive home tonight!

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

A great win by the Eagles tonight , they played a great all around game , I'd like to congratulate Quentin alley on a really good game tonight , I thought he played really well for the Eagles tonight , coach barrick sure had the team fired up , he was really intense and I think the boys fed off that , tonight's win is a good momentum builder heading into the tourney, coach barrick and the eagles will b ready for Webster ....go Eagles !!!!

rosemount guy
Freshman Team

Post by rosemount guy »

EagleNut14 wrote:Hope Rosemount guy had a safe drive home tonight!
You eagle people need to kill more deer.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

rosemount guy wrote:
I hope u didn't hit a deer on the drive home.

GO EAGLES
rosemount guy
Freshman Team

Post by rosemount guy »

brown22 wrote:
rosemount guy wrote:
I hope u didn't hit a deer on the drive home.
No couple close calls, took the scenic route home, I do appreciate the concern. Good luck to your team next week in the tournament.

JustPlayBasketball12
Riding the Bench

Post by JustPlayBasketball12 »

The difference in this years Eastern team and in years past is that they do not have that kid that can flat out take over a game. Thornsberry, Lands, Thacker. I think Leist is that kid but maybe coaching has something to do with it. Barrick wants his offense ran to the T and I think Fitch let his scorers score. Is it me or did Eastern shoot more 3's under the Fitch era than they are right now under the Barrick era?

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

JustPlayBasketball12 wrote:The difference in this years Eastern team and in years past is that they do not have that kid that can flat out take over a game. Thornsberry, Lands, Thacker. I think Leist is that kid but maybe coaching has something to do with it. Barrick wants his offense ran to the T and I think Fitch let his scorers score. Is it me or did Eastern shoot more 3's under the Fitch era than they are right now under the Barrick era?
your right we shot more 3s with Fitch we also was a better shooting team. leist can take a game over and has in some games this year. leist game is taking it to the hole or pulling up with that nice little jumper don't shoot outside a lot. Martin has took games over for us too this year when we needed somebody to step up they are both just juniors they have time to learn and grow as players.

GO EAGLES
JustPlayBasketball12
Riding the Bench

I do agree they do have time to learn and grow. Leist and Hesson are the only two players that had really any varsity experience from last year. I see Year 2 under Barrick will be a good year. Gambill will be a load next year for Eastern as well. I love watching these two teams play, every game for the last couple years have come down to the wire and I'm sure next year won't be any different. Eastern seems to play well @ ND and ND seems to play well @ Eastern. Defense seems to be the common ground these two teams.

HoopsGenius
Waterboy

Post by HoopsGenius »

Interesting reading! I agree with several of the postings on this thread. But, I have only seen the Eagles play two or three games.

First, Coach Barrick is a proven winner. His teams will always play solid defense and be very patient on offense. This has always allowed his teams to compete with more talented teams. His record speaks for itself. However, I also agree that his style can maybe restrict or limit the more skilled players. This style allows his teams to do well in the tourney. I was always shocked reading negative posts from wheelersburg people after all that Barrick did for Burg hoops. It shows a lack of basketball knowledge.

Second, Beaver92 shouldn't be jumped on for his opinion. Coach Fitch was/is an excellent coach and a proven winner also. He will be on most athletic directors short list for any head coaching positions. I always enjoyed watching his teams play because they played hard and played an exciting style of basketball. I also noticed Fitch would adjust his offense(post oriented, drive and kick, etc) and defense (man or zone) as his players changed. I watch a lot of basketball, and many coaches do same thing every year. You could tell Fitch's teams had a game plan. The job Fitch did last year in the tourney against Peebles in the District finals was the best that I seen at the District's last year regardless of Division. Didn't the Eagles made the regionals or regional finals several years ago also? Likewise, as I said above, I was always amazed when I see negative posts about Fitch with all the success he had as their coach. Again ,it shows a lack of basketball knowledge.

Talk to officials and coaches about them.

If you don't like Barrick or Fitch, sorry posters. It must be personal and have nothing to do with their ability to coach. Eastern should be grateful for what they had in Fitch and what they have in Barrick!

JustPlayBasketball12
Riding the Bench

Couldn't Agree More!

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

I'm not sure where I seen anyone putting a past or present eastern coach down. beaver92 ask a question but never said anything bad about coach barrick. I'm guessing the majority of eastern fans are happy with coach barrick he does demand u play defense and his offense is more a team style and not one individual player but he does a great job.

GO EAGLES
EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

I didn't knock Coach Fitch. I just replied to beaver92s comment about if Fitch was still coach them boys would be playing better ball.

HoopsGenius
Waterboy

Post by HoopsGenius »

EagleNut14 wrote:I didn't knock Coach Fitch. I just replied to beaver92s comment about if Fitch was still coach them boys would be playing better ball.
Maybe not? I just said I remembered some stupid posts from last year by one of the beaver posters. One particular Eastern fool was running down Coach Fitch last year and bashing his son who was a good player? I can remember Burg people running down Coach Barrick at the close of his time there questioning everything he did. Referring to it as "barrick ball" Very sad on both accounts and as I said above due to ignorance.

Under who would be playing better ball, will never know the answer to that. From what I hear, I would say Eastern fans are divided about the coaching situation and change. What's done is done so hopefully they just let Barrick do his job.

Makes no difference to me personally I'm not an eagle anyway! My point was I just thought it odd eastern people jumping on Beaver92 about Fitch. Eastern was lucky to have him. He is a class act. And now, Eastern is lucky to have Barrick.

Good luck to you and your team in the tourney!

EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

Beaver92 wrote:Looks like that change that everybody wanted isn't workin to good right now. Imo coach Fitch would have the boys playing better then they are right now!
If anyone was bashing a coach or making a jab it was Beaver 92. I'm done arguing about this.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

To argue that a certain coach would have this Eastern team playing better is just a foolish statement. Could it be that this Eastern team is just lacking the players it has had in the past for Fitch? It's easy to ride talent, but if it's a bit down, then blaming a coach is just an excuse for the kids.

Notre Dame made the necessary changes in this second matchup that put them in the right spot to win. Foul trouble is something that you don't plan on, and would have seen ND pull away without the huge foul differential (19-4). Clay in my opinion is loaded with talent, but coaching has pulled them down. Barrick had his team ready and imo out coached Clay.

Calm down Eastern parents, it's not the end of the world. Good luck in the tournament

Return to “Boys Basketball”