Sectional Seedings Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Sectional Seedings Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ?

Post by pfloyd »

... a question for those in the know ... with ALL of the seeding being done online - and the window for coaches to vote already been open (I believe - let me know if I'm wrong) - AND I believe again the records had to be turned in by the coaches before Tuesday ... do the games this week mean as much for the seeding ??? or are coaches waiting until the last minute to do their seeding placements ? ... is it easier to do something "strange" with the voting (i.e. leagues sticking together based on league affiliation vs actual records of teams in the sectional) since the actual voting is taking place online? ... are there any sectional meetings at all anymore ? (i.e. the sectional meetings that were usually held in Jackson on seeding weekend) ...

... I'm unfamiliar with the online setup , or the seeding process online ... I'm in favor of the face-to-face meetings personally - making a decision with the players in the room adds so much more drama to the event imo ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Sectional Seedings Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ?

Post by 93Bulldog »

I heard some girls coaches, whose teams were somewhat 'out of it', turned in their online ballots early, Floyd.

So yea, this online thing is pretty stupid. They should at least make them wait until after Saturday night games to vote.

The more info, data they have - the more accurate the info/seeding will be.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

And no ... no meeting what-so-ever.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

It's all online, with no meeting necessary. I don't understand why they can't wait until Saturday evening to vote or even Sunday morning.

What takes so long that they can't be released until Sunday afternoon? There's 9-14 set of votes, send them to me and I can tally them in 5 minutes and have it out by 12:15am Saturday morning if they are due on Friday at Midnight.

We do this process embarrassingly poorly.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... not sure what the rush is with the "online" voting at all ... "efficiency" takes away from the overall excitement that IS high school hoops ... AT LEAST give the coaches the SAME window that they have to vote (i.e. Saturday night from 11pm - 10 am Sunday) ... the early voters don't see results of some of these BIG GAMES this weekend ! ... personally I WANT the coaches to HAVE TO see the other coaches on seeding day , face to face ... it's easy to screw up the seeding process without having to be accountable to how you voted ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Voting should close Sunday at noon and brackets should be released at 4 p.m. That would give plenty of time to put the brackets together.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bman wrote:Voting should close Sunday at noon and brackets should be released at 4 p.m. That would give plenty of time to put the brackets together.

... I totally agree with that call bman ... all of the games HAVE TO BE played during the last week prior to voting - end of story ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

This online thing is so crazy. When I found out this is how we were doing voting for girls soccer this year, I was dumbfounded. The meetings in person get tense, sure, BUT I think it's important to see all the coaches and hear them talk about their teams and what they think. I know you get to write up something about your team, but that's not the same. In fact, in soccer there were things written that simply weren't true... had people using scrimmages. It's just not the same.

Also in person you get to see how everyone votes. Get a feeling for what they are trying to do, where or who they wanna play.

Clearly, I HATE this online draw.

Championship
JV Team

Post by Championship »

Personally I feel the online drawing is bogus. It allows teams to manipulate the draw and not have to look other coaches in the face that they screwed over. You can hide behind a computer screen and basically do whatever you want to do no matter what other coaches say or what their records may be. Sure upon releasing the brackets every coach gets a paper that says just exactly how each coach voted but its still not face to face. For instance I can recall hearing a couple years back when this first started in the girls draw a coach who had like 2 or 3 wins voting himself the 1 seed and it completely screwed up the entire draw, which impacts teams entire season and tournament run. I like the old way much better, sure it may get hostile at times but at least you have some credibility behind your voting and have to man up to how you vote teams.

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Post by caldwellbasketball »

It actually all evens out, it is on a points system. If you have 16 teams in your super sectional, or 9 in your sectional like DII in Logan, you seed the teams #1-15 obviously excluding your own team. A number 1 vote gets you 15 points, a number 2 14 points, so on and so forth. At the end they throw out your one highest and one lowest score and total your points. Teams are seeded based on a straight point total. This allows them to throw out a single potential outlying vote on either side, like the example used in the post above. When you go to the draw on Sunday you are given a print out of how every team voted. What sucks for the southeast district is they don't have the super sectional format like we do in the east or the central. If you have a super sectional format you can pick your path, so if you feel like you got slighted you could jump on someone. I do miss the tension of the room when you voted in person though.

PTownhoops
Riding the Bench

Post by PTownhoops »

Face to Face is where it should be. Going back and telling your team this is where coach A voted you in at is priceless. Has some balls

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye won PVC in 99, 00, 02,03,04, 06,07,08,09,11,12,13,14,and 15

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

A FEW BIG GAMES TONIGHT (SATURDAY).

I.E. TRIMBLE VS SOUTH GALLIA

GUESS WHAT? IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE VOTES WERE DO AT 11:59 FRIDAY NIGHT!

I'm guessing a lot of coaches did not even wait for last nights games either.

How stupid.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

EasternDspy wrote:Fort Frye won PVC in 99, 00, 02,03,04, 06,07,08,09,11,12,13,14,and 15
What in the world does this have to do with anything?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote:A FEW BIG GAMES TONIGHT (SATURDAY).

I.E. TRIMBLE VS SOUTH GALLIA

GUESS WHAT? IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE VOTES WERE DO AT 11:59 FRIDAY NIGHT!

I'm guessing a lot of coaches did not even wait for last nights games either.

How stupid.
I'm not sure when someone like Coach Hoops voted, but he didn't would not have gotten back to the school until around 11 last night. And that was a game that was only 40 minutes away, what about a coach who had an hour and a half bus ride last night? They would've had a hard time getting their picks in.

This process is an absolute joke.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Crab's Brother wrote:
EasternDspy wrote:Fort Frye won PVC in 99, 00, 02,03,04, 06,07,08,09,11,12,13,14,and 15
What in the world does this have to do with anything?

Wrong topic

Return to “Boys Basketball”