Minford Basketball

Crab's Brother
SEO

Re: Minford Basketball

Post by Crab's Brother »

Minford has one player that can get his own shot. You call it not team ball, what I have seen is one player getting the job done with next to no help.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

If Minford can get Sheppard back near full strength, they will be a force in the SE District tournament. They are well coached, just have to get healthy.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote:If Minford can get Sheppard back near full strength, they will be a force in the SE District tournament. They are well coached, just have to get healthy.

... Dillon Sheppard WILL be the difference maker for Minford ... the sooner DS can get back into the lineup the better for the Falcons - the kid can get his shot off in the paint vs anyone ... hated to see that he was going to be out for the season BUT he IS now back - get Dillon in shape - the Minford chances for advancing into the tourney greatly improve imo

FalconSports
Waterboy

Post by FalconSports »

If you watched the game they did go inside as well, but only the two, and no fouls.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

FalconSports wrote:If you watched the game they did go inside as well, but only the two, and no fouls.
No they didn't. The game went as followed, Rowe drove to the basket. The times he didn't score he dished out. Minford got decent looks the first half from three but missed. In the second half, it was the same but Rowe did not dish much at all because he heated up. The times he did dish burg was on the shooter because they gave little help defense. I could count on one hand the amount of times they tried to post up. Burg on the other hand went straight to the post. There are always a few head scratching foul calls but most of those down there were easy to call.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Pretty obvious the young man has a lot of catching up to do as far as conditioning in order to help this team. The problem is I don't know if there is enough time left to get him in good enough shape to give them valuable minutes come tourney time.

my2sense
Waterboy

Post by my2sense »

Flock_92 wrote:
Crab's Brother wrote:Having watched Minford 6 times now, there is no one on the bench that "should be starting". Period. Shepard is their 3rd best player, but he is far from basketball shape.
Wow! 3rd best player? You are only right about one thing, he is very far from basketball shape. He is also playing scared and doesn't know the offensive sets.
Flock_92 wrote:
pfloyd wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:If Minford can get Sheppard back near full strength, they will be a force in the SE District tournament. They are well coached, just have to get healthy.

... Dillon Sheppard WILL be the difference maker for Minford ... the sooner DS can get back into the lineup the better for the Falcons - the kid can get his shot off in the paint vs anyone ... hated to see that he was going to be out for the season BUT he IS now back - get Dillon in shape - the Minford chances for advancing into the tourney greatly improve imo

Not going to happen this year. Can't whoop a kid in shape who hasn't conditioned all year in the next week or so. Poor discipline by both the player and the coaches. There is no excuse for not doing cardio while on the sidelines with a shoulder injury. There is no excuse for not walking through offensive sets either. DS was a good player last season, this is not that season.

Wow Flock! Shows your ignorance...when a kid isn't cleared by a doctor, he can't do anything. Dylan is still a great player and has it in him to get better. The kid had 3 shoulder surgeries in 6 months. Anyone having that many surgeries in that time span will take much time to heal. The Falcon team is missing DS for sure. He definitely will be a difference in the game for Minford. I also would agree that a healthy DS is the 3rd best player Minford has. The Falcons still have a chance for a share of the SOC and also have the potential for a great tournament run. Good Luck Falcons!

Flock_92
Freshman Team

Post by Flock_92 »

my2sense wrote:
Flock_92 wrote:
Crab's Brother wrote:Having watched Minford 6 times now, there is no one on the bench that "should be starting". Period. Shepard is their 3rd best player, but he is far from basketball shape.
Wow! 3rd best player? You are only right about one thing, he is very far from basketball shape. He is also playing scared and doesn't know the offensive sets.
Flock_92 wrote:
pfloyd wrote:

Not going to happen this year. Can't whoop a kid in shape who hasn't conditioned all year in the next week or so. Poor discipline by both the player and the coaches. There is no excuse for not doing cardio while on the sidelines with a shoulder injury. There is no excuse for not walking through offensive sets either. DS was a good player last season, this is not that season.

Wow Flock! Shows your ignorance...when a kid isn't cleared by a doctor, he can't do anything. Dylan is still a great player and has it in him to get better. The kid had 3 shoulder surgeries in 6 months. Anyone having that many surgeries in that time span will take much time to heal. The Falcon team is missing DS for sure. He definitely will be a difference in the game for Minford. I also would agree that a healthy DS is the 3rd best player Minford has. The Falcons still have a chance for a share of the SOC and also have the potential for a great tournament run. Good Luck Falcons!
Wow my2sense! Shows you haven't watched any of the last 2 or 3 games or whenever DS got cleared. How many turnovers have been committed by DS? Once he turns the ball over or gets denied inside watch the cheap shots as he bumps and pushes players going the other way. And that is your 3rd best on the team? I'm not saying he won't help the team, I just don't think he has time to catch up before the season is over. He is definitely not the 3rd best on this team. A lot of the team is undisciplined and out of shape. Not sure what conditioning program they are doing, but it needs overhauled.

my2sense
Waterboy

Post by my2sense »

I actually have watched the last several games. I said a HEALTHY DS is the 3rd best player on the team. Yes I have noticed his TOs. When some of the starters aren't getting it done, you resort to others to find a mix. I believe that's what the Falcons have done. I've noticed that on the defensive side the past couple of games, coach has put in Perry to see if he could give the Falcons a spark. I like his aggressiveness, he just doesn't have anything to offer the Falcons offensively. The Falcons have also tried Simon, but he seems to still be favoring his injury as well. The rest of the bench is JV players. DS may not be healthy before the end of this season, but knowing DS's personality, he will work diligently to gain what he can to finish out this year. I don't know what kind of conditioning that is being enforced, but seems conditioning hasn't ever been a problem for the Falcons. I believe they just aren't a "quick" team like in years past.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

If Shepard isn't the Falcons 3rd best player, I would love to know who is.

I'm willing to bet if you told all 29 D3 coaches in the SE District they could take one Minford player not named Rowe or Kelly and add them to their roster for this tournament, a vast majority would take an out of shape Dillon Shepard.

Bigbadwolf
Freshman Team

Post by Bigbadwolf »

Wow! What's going on in Falcon land? Seems like a lot of moms and dad's showing an agenda. I have only had the privilege of watching Minford play my Pirates twice. Seems like a player that seems to not get mentioned is the Gullett kid that torched us for 17 at Minford. Wondered why he didn't as much playing time.in the 2nd game. Showed a great shooting touch late in game when he pulled Minford to within 4 when others weren't hitting. My kid was puzzled by that coaching move.

my2sense
Waterboy

Post by my2sense »

Crab's Brother wrote:If Shepard isn't the Falcons 3rd best player, I would love to know who is.

I'm willing to bet if you told all 29 D3 coaches in the SE District they could take one Minford player not named Rowe or Kelly and add them to their roster for this tournament, a vast majority would take an out of shape Dillon Shepard.
Agree with you Crab's Brother! No doubt...DS plays bigger than he is and can use his body very well. I would definitely take him injured or healthy. He is still very valuable to the team, his injury has just limited the amount he can contribute.
Last edited by my2sense on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

my2sense wrote:I actually have watched the last several games. I said a HEALTHY DS is the 3rd best player on the team. Yes I have noticed his TOs. When some of the starters aren't getting it done, you resort to others to find a mix. I believe that's what the Falcons have done. I've noticed that on the defensive side the past couple of games, coach has put in Perry to see if he could give the Falcons a spark. I like his aggressiveness, he just doesn't have anything to offer the Falcons offensively. The Falcons have also tried Simon, but he seems to still be favoring his injury as well. The rest of the bench is JV players. DS may not be healthy before the end of this season, but knowing DS's personality, he will work diligently to gain what he can to finish out this year. I don't know what kind of conditioning that is being enforced, but seems conditioning hasn't ever been a problem for the Falcons. I believe they just aren't a "quick" team like in years past.
Minford has been drastically out coached the last two games by better coaches. Minford jumped out to big leads on South Webster and Oak Hill. What happened? After timeouts/end of quarters/halftime the coaches made adjustments. South Webster nearly knocked off Minford (which given the talent disparity between the two, should never happen). And two days after, Oak Hill DOES knock off Minford (again, way less "talent" than Minford).

Adjustments have to be made. Period. Just because you win some games doesn't mean you made the right adjustments, Minford has just simply been more talented than other teams and have allowed games to get WAYYY closer than they should be.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
my2sense
Waterboy

Post by my2sense »

Key word is "nearly." Webster almost knocked off the Falcons. The old saying goes "A win is a win." There's always room for adjustments/improvement. Granted the Falcons should have played much better, but that wasn't the case.

The Falcons played hard against Oak Hill. Oak Hill is coached by a legend. The Falcons have beat Oak Hill the last several years, I believe someone said the last 10 match ups. The way the cards roll, a team is going to get you at some point. I believe last year was the first time Minford knocked off Valley in the last several match ups. It's bound to happen to any good team.

Good thing is the Falcons still have a shot this week to tie for the SOC. As Valley plays very well at home, but it would sure be a good booster for tournaments if this happens. Good Luck Falcons!

eyeswideopen
Waterboy

Post by eyeswideopen »

Why in the world is their a discussion about a player that has not contributed to the success of this team all year? Maybe there should be a discussion about when they decided to insert him into the rotation (if there is such a thing at Minford) it disrupted the team chemistry, I mean after all since they started doing this MINFORD HAS LOST 2 games!! There are players that are playing that can get the job done. THEY DON'T USE THEM!!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

my2sense wrote:Key word is "nearly." Webster almost knocked off the Falcons. The old saying goes "A win is a win." There's always room for adjustments/improvement. Granted the Falcons should have played much better, but that wasn't the case.

The Falcons played hard against Oak Hill. Oak Hill is coached by a legend. The Falcons have beat Oak Hill the last several years, I believe someone said the last 10 match ups. The way the cards roll, a team is going to get you at some point. I believe last year was the first time Minford knocked off Valley in the last several match ups. It's bound to happen to any good team.

Good thing is the Falcons still have a shot this week to tie for the SOC. As Valley plays very well at home, but it would sure be a good booster for tournaments if this happens. Good Luck Falcons!
Sure, a win is technically a "win." But when you are 20-30 points better than a team, beat that same team by 40 points earlier in the year, the only aspect you "won" is the W you got after the game. Again, obviously that's important. But if I'm on that winning team, I begin to question several things.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Flock_92
Freshman Team

Post by Flock_92 »

eyeswideopen wrote:Why in the world is their a discussion about a player that has not contributed to the success of this team all year? Maybe there should be a discussion about when they decided to insert him into the rotation (if there is such a thing at Minford) it disrupted the team chemistry, I mean after all since they started doing this MINFORD HAS LOST 2 games!! There are players that are playing that can get the job done. THEY DON'T USE THEM!!
Very good point!!

Flock_92
Freshman Team

Post by Flock_92 »

Crab's Brother wrote:If Shepard isn't the Falcons 3rd best player, I would love to know who is.

The third best player on the team is the Alley boy, also known as the third senior. I feel you are basing your ranking from DS performance last year. Come into this years basketball season with me and recognize the reality. DS is and can be a good player for his size. He does play bigger than he is, but it is not helping the team when players are focusing more on boosting his confidence than playing their game.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

if the kid has had 3 shoulder surgeries in 6 months I wouldn't expect a whole lot pretty tough kid to be playing right now but he won't be the same that quick

GO EAGLES
NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

In the words of Kirk Cousins.. "You like that?!" "You like that!?" Congrats to Coach Shoe and the falcons!

Return to “Boys Basketball”