Minford Basketball

FalconSports
Waterboy

Minford Basketball

Post by FalconSports »

Saturday's game was terrible. Why we only play a 2 man game is beyond me - it is not hard to defend against. Minford almost lost Wavery and West by playing this style and how do they lose to Wheelersburg? They clearly should be SOC unchallenged champs but this will not happen if they continue to play a 2 man game.

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Minford Basketball

Post by bbjunky81 »

Minford always has the talent but somehow seems to underachieve, whether it be in the SOC, or, most recently, in the tournament.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg has only lost three games with a couple that came towards the beginning of the year, with football players just coming out. It's safe to say burg can play. Minford lacks a true guard and they miss an athletic big man. They also lack a bench. Rowe can score any shot but the others can't create, yet rather rely on the three point. I believe burg showed how to beat minford. Let Rowe get his with out help defense keeping their shooters from getting clean looks.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Minford shot the lights out in the first burg game and still only managed a 3 point win. Burgs not a good match up for minford, burgs length gives them fits.

eyeswideopen
Waterboy

Post by eyeswideopen »

FalconSports wrote:Saturday's game was terrible. Why we only play a 2 man game is beyond me - it is not hard to defend against. Minford almost lost Wavery and West by playing this style and how do they lose to Wheelersburg? They clearly should be SOC unchallenged champs but this will not happen if they continue to play a 2 man game.

That is the truth!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

They live by the three and die by the three.

Its great when the players cant miss. When they shots dont fall, the offense really rears its ugly head.

Minford has been very good on bball talent the past few years. Seems like the offense struggles when they play teams that are nearly as good as them or equal.

Preacher Purl
Riding the Bench

Post by Preacher Purl »

"Its great when the players cant miss. When they shots dont fall, the offense really rears its ugly head."

That's an interesting comment. I'm not sure how many offenses are any good when shots don't fall.

Minford has had great success that past 4-5 years. Has there been a better span in the school's history?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

FalconSports wrote:Saturday's game was terrible. Why we only play a 2 man game is beyond me - it is not hard to defend against. Minford almost lost Wavery and West by playing this style and how do they lose to Wheelersburg? They clearly should be SOC unchallenged champs but this will not happen if they continue to play a 2 man game.

Not anywhere close to being accurate. Minford shot the ball well and beat Valley at home. They have to come to Lucasville a week from Friday to decide the league. No "clearly" there at all.

eyeswideopen
Waterboy

Post by eyeswideopen »

Crab's Brother wrote:

Not anywhere close to being accurate. Minford shot the ball well and beat Valley at home. They have to come to Lucasville a week from Friday to decide the league. No "clearly" there at all.

I did see the Minford/Valley game at Minford and Minford was lucky to come away with that win. They don't try to get everyone involved in there offense and they are predictable and easy to defend because all they shoot are jumpshots. They aren't even fun to watch. I'm sure Valley will shoot a higher percentage on their home court. It could be ugly.

I also was able to find a spot in the packed Burg gym last Saturday to see the Burg/Minford game. Minford was predictable, made no adjustments, have no discipline and were willing to let the team go down with the 2 man game that they are determined to play every night.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

Are there things that could/should be done better? Yes.

But good grief folks, it's a wonder Minford can keep a decent coach with how some fans act... :roll:

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I believe josh does a good job, but minford misses gullion. The big guys just aren't very athletic underneath. And when I say athletic I mean jumpers who can sky for a rebound. Gullion was great at that. Minford is a good team but will have to rely on the outside shot to win.

FalconFever02
Freshman Team

Post by FalconFever02 »

Fellas, it's not rocket science. Shooting is not an equal opportunity employer. This year's Minford team is going to run the offense through Rowe and Kelly and no one with a spec of basketball intelligence can even begin to question as to why this is. Rowe and Kelly can create their own shots, Minford has other good "set players" around those 2 who play their role such as hitting a set 3, and bigs who rebound and score in the paint, but primarily Minford is guard oriented this year, and that is the best fit for them to be most efficient on offense. Those who say they have "underachieved" in the tournament, they have been d2 the past couple years, they are back in d3 now where they belong so lets see how that works out, because if Minford had been d3 last year, they would of been a factor to compete for the regional as was Portsmouth.

Flock_92
Freshman Team

Post by Flock_92 »

If the Falcons are gonna make a run at the tourney they need to involve more players from the bench and start rebounding. It is frustrating having one of the bigger teams in the SOC 2 and get out rebounded by smaller teams. More shooters need to get involved, play tougher defense, and break the press!! Let's go Falcons straighten up, get tough and finish the season strong and keep rolling to the convo!!!

ColonelSanders
Riding the Bench

Post by ColonelSanders »

Minford will not make it as far as they want to go if they don't start playing defense. No effort on defense is killing them. There's no way that SW should be as close as they were to Minford. (No offense SW). Minford is bigger, stronger, and more athletic. But, since they don't play hard on the defensive end, SW got the shots that they wanted. I know that SW made some shots. But, there's a difference in a team just hitting tough shots, and a team that's making the shots that they are wanting to take. That shouldn't happen. No defense, no boxing out on defensive end. Spells disaster, and another disappointing run for Minford. They are capable of making it to a Regional Final. Maybe State in D3. Playing in Districts isn't good enough anymore. Something has to change on the defensive end. IDK if it's coaching, or if it's just the players not buying in. The way it looked to me, was the players weren't buying in.

Flock_92
Freshman Team

Post by Flock_92 »

ColonelSanders wrote:Minford will not make it as far as they want to go if they don't start playing defense. No effort on defense is killing them. There's no way that SW should be as close as they were to Minford. (No offense SW). Minford is bigger, stronger, and more athletic. But, since they don't play hard on the defensive end, SW got the shots that they wanted. I know that SW made some shots. But, there's a difference in a team just hitting tough shots, and a team that's making the shots that they are wanting to take. That shouldn't happen. No defense, no boxing out on defensive end. Spells disaster, and another disappointing run for Minford. They are capable of making it to a Regional Final. Maybe State in D3. Playing in Districts isn't good enough anymore. Something has to change on the defensive end. IDK if it's coaching, or if it's just the players not buying in. The way it looked to me, was the players weren't buying in.
I agree! If there isn't some sort of change on the defensive pressure and boxing out on the boards it will be a disappointment for this team. They have a lot of talent and should be more dominant than they have been. It's like they are saying "we are going to score on the offensive end and dare you to outscore us." That theory works well when your shooters are hot and getting the shots they want, but when Kelley is guarded like he was at Waverly and against Burg it can kill you. The boys also need to follow their shots, too many times they will shoot a 3 and head towards the other end where if they had followed their shot they could have gotten the rebound and had another scoring opportunity. Need to toughen up and play more disciplined. I am not sure if conditioning is part of the problem.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Oak Hill defeated Minford tonight. What was the scoop Falcon Fans? I know Norm is a good coach, but I thought Minford would win this one.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Is Dillon Sheppard back for Minford ? or is he out for the season ?

Falconfan14
Riding the Bench

Post by Falconfan14 »

Shephard is back but not 100% yet. Minutes have been limited.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Shepard played very little at the burg when I was there Saturday

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... gotcha - thanks biggdowgg ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”