Chillicothe's MARK BAYLESS

PTownhoops
Riding the Bench

Chillicothe's MARK BAYLESS

Post by PTownhoops »

Anybody know where he is at or even alive? Was one hell of a player, I remember when he and Bo Bo Clemens from Portsmouth had great games.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Chillicothe's MARK BAYLESS

Post by trojandave »

Don't know the whereabouts of Mark Bayless, but I remember him as a great player for the Cavaliers. He was the 1974 Class AAA Player of the Year in Ohio. He played for Coach Tom Cuppett, who was one of the best coaches in Chillicothe history. There have been a number of players named Bayless that have played for CHS.

PTownhoops
Riding the Bench

Post by PTownhoops »

I think he played with Garen Veras that ended up playing with the N.E. Patriots. I remember getting on the bus going back to PTown and Chillicothe fans throwing bricks at the bus. That was a good rivalry.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Garin graduated in 1981.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

Last I heard he was living in Columbus. Was told a few years ago he lost a leg due to diabetes. Don't know if that was the case. A '74 graduate of chs and AAA player of the year on Ohio Was first freshman ever to start for Ohio state. His career was cut short by breaking team rules and dismissed from the team

Johnboy614
Waterboy

Post by Johnboy614 »

I saw him a few years ago at the country club in circleville. He was working as a starter. He did lose his leg. I heard he passed away but not sure.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I heard he was living in Circleville.

Spud
Riding the Bench

Post by Spud »

That's interesting. He WAS a great player, for sure. What about Hitchens? Last I heard, he was on the squad at University of Akron, but, not seeing much action. Where is he now?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Spud wrote:That's interesting. He WAS a great player, for sure. What about Hitchens? Last I heard, he was on the squad at University of Akron, but, not seeing much action. Where is he now?
Humpty? He averaged 8ppg in his 2 seasons at Akron, so he was getting plenty of PT. He started 50 of the 68 games in his 2 seasons with the Zips.

He left the program and graduated from James Madison 2 years later. He started all 63 games in 2 seasons there and averaged near 12 ppg, including 14.9 his senior year.

Last I had heard, he was playing pro ball in Germany.

Fact-based Buckeye!
Waterboy

Post by Fact-based Buckeye! »

Bronc21 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:16 pm Last I heard he was living in Columbus. Was told a few years ago he lost a leg due to diabetes. Don't know if that was the case. A '74 graduate of chs and AAA player of the year on Ohio Was first freshman ever to start for Ohio state. His career was cut short by breaking team rules and dismissed from the team
Mark was in Columbus. Mark was suspended during his So. year by Fred Taylor. The official reason was not disclosed. All n' all, Mark wasted his scholarship, his chance for a college degree and more. Very, very sad.
Last edited by Fact-based Buckeye! on Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fact-based Buckeye!
Waterboy

PTownhoops wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:48 pm I think he played with Garen Veras that ended up playing with the N.E. Patriots. I remember getting on the bus going back to PTown and Chillicothe fans throwing bricks at the bus. That was a good rivalry.
Not even close, Garin was still in Jr, High. Garin joined a few p/u games when we were low on players as he was too young and still smaller than the guards at CHS. Played for Pats. Last year S.F. Went back to school to get his degrees. btw, it's Veris. :)
Last edited by Fact-based Buckeye! on Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fact-based Buckeye!
Waterboy

PTownhoops wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:32 pm Anybody know where he is at or even alive? Was one hell of a player, I remember when he and Bo Bo Clemens from Portsmouth had great games.
Bo was a fine scorer, but far below Mark. 3rd team All-State.

Return to “Boys Basketball”