Eastern Brown 56
Portsmouth 64

Trimble 83
Minford 62

Alexander 36
Chesapeake 48

Lucasville Valley 53
Fairland 47

... I thank peake71 & the cast of thousands (or so it seems) for once again putting on THE BEST midseason hoops "classic" Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line -simply outstanding - EVERY single person who attended starts out being greeted by the wonderful staff of volunteers AND it just gets better throughout the day! - always asking "how the day is going ?" , "do you have everything you need ?" ... as you leave peake71 & staff thank you for coming & let you know they look forward to seeing you again next year ... I truly feel at home when I go to the river for this get together of quality teams, players, coaches, fans of the game ... it's a special place - by design ! nothing is left to chance as peake71 said he and the volunteer leaders will be back to planning NEXT years' 2017 event in a couple of weeks ... Thank you again to you peake71 , Coach Davis & family , all of the fine volunteer staff - you folks are the best ...

... I was able to see some of the teams that I had not had the opportunity to see yet this season - Chesapeake , Fairland, Portsmouth, Eastern Brown, Lucasville Valley, Coal Grove, Trimble ... can't beat being able to see them all in one day , ALL without leaving the comfort of a midcourt cheap seat - perfect ... Mrs. pfloyd & I walked out to the lobby, I came out of the RR looking for my wife - the staff said "she left"... my answer was "let's see - I'm at gym where there will be 5 games played, an outstanding hospitality room full of food ... it doesn't get any better than this - I'm good !!! ... let her know I went back to the cheap seats!" ...

... the basketball on the court was very good - as expected ... good TEAMS, outstanding coaches, excellent individual players both youngsters & the "old" players alike ... some of the most successful "programs" in Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Eastern Brown (Coach Beucler), Portsmouth (Coach Collins), Trimble (Coach Caldwell), Minford (Coach Shoemaker), Chesapeake (Coach Davis), Lucasville Valley (Coach Rolfe), Fairland (Coach Speed) ...

... Individual standouts on Saturday :

Athens ... Griffin Lutz (18 pts)/Zacciah Saltzman (17)/Noah Skinner (9)/Brody Ball (8 pts off the bench)

Eastern Brown ... I have to go with TEAM EB on this one ... as the Warriors were one of the more solid overall TEAMS from Saturdays action ... Mickey Hundley (15), Marcus Day (13) , Nick Kelch (9), Austin Doss (8), Charles Bellamy (7), Heath Unger (2), Blane Rigdon (2)

Portsmouth ... Ky're Allison (30) ... 3 treys/15 for 20 from the FT line

Trimble ... one of IF not THE outstanding TEAM performances on the day ... Coach Caldwell has his Tomcats controlling game tempo, pushing the ball for 32 minutes ... 83 points for the game was a day high by any team ... 4 players in double figures team high for the day ... 2 of the overall BEST performances by players on any team - Sophomore Randy Hixon (26 pts / 5 three pointers) ... Justice Jenkins (24 pts) ... Cody Jones (13)/Bryce Guthrie (14) ...

Minford ... Brandon Rowe (21 pts & 2 triples) ... Trey Kelley (22 pts & 4 triples)

Alexander ... Mason Chapman (17 pts & 4 triples)

Chesapeake ... TEAM ball & scoring : Gage Rhoades (10), Brad Meadows (9), Jake Stevens (9), Kolton Webb (6), Wesley Stephens (6), Austin Hutchison (2)

Lucasville Valley ... Bryan Rolfe (28 pts / 3 triples/ 12 of 17 from the FT line) ... the Valley defense held Fairland scoreless for the first 5:08 of the 3rd quarter to take the lead for good in a Valley 53-47 win over the Dragons ...

Fairland ... THE BEST YOUNG TALENT ON ONE TEAM IN SOUTHERN/SOUTHEAST OHIO - end of story ... oh my ... Coach Speed STARTS 5 sophomores and the first 2 players off the bench are sophomores ... here are THE YOUNGSTERS who will become household names in the OVC/and in visits to the Convo the next 3 years : Gunner Short (14 pts & 2 triples) , Kollin Van Horn (6-6 post player ... 12 pts), Isaiah Howell (6 pts), Darius Stapleton (6-6 post player ... 6 pts), Luke Thomas (3 pt with a triple), Ty Staten (2 pt), Keedrick Cunningham (2 pt) ...

... Saturday at the Beasts of the Southeast IS what I love most about high school hoops ! great basketball on the court ALL day long and into the night ... my hat goes off to each of these teams who I believe ALL played a Friday night game (and they were big league matchups) , then turned it all around to play again within 14-24 hours vs another non league opponent - I thank each of these young men ...

... I've said soooooo many times that the hoops on the floor brings together many like minded folks - those who love the game and appreciate what the players, coaches, TEAMS do to put on the best show around ... at Coach Davis' get together it's no different - I had the opportunity to meet some coaches I had not met before - Coach Vanderhoff (Coal Grove), Coach Howie Caldwell (Trimble) while making connection with coaches whom I have known and respect already - Coach Skinner & his staff (Athens), Coach Davis & his fine staff (Chesapeake) ,& Coach Speed (Fairland) ... I have met , know many coaches in Southern/Southeastern Ohio I have found them ALL to be the best of the best as coaches/teachers of the game while showing total commitment/compassion for their players ... Coach Caldwell (Trimble) came UP to the cheap seats to meet me yesterday - I was blown away as I was personally honored to meet one of the great coaches I had watched/respected for many years - just to know and hear that HE wanted to meet me ... these people who earn the title of COACH - are truly amazing people ...

... SEOPs posters were in the house - the Portsmouth contingent of trojandave, biggdowgg & Co. ... peake71 ... my wife and I sat with Coach Davis's mother who teaches at Alexander for part of the Alexander/Peake matchup ... Mr. Davis (Coach Davis' Dad) came up to say hello along with Mason Chapman's dad ... I talked with the 8th grade coach at Coal Grove, past players parents were there - Nathan Campbell's dad (Fairland PG now playing football at Davidson) kept pfloyd talking during the evening games LOL ... Brandon Rowe's (Minford) mom & dad said hello/talked hoops ( actually Brandon Rowe's mom has made it clear to me that I am NOT to be in the gym/any gym Convo included when Minford plays since I have been present at the only 2 losses the Falcons have on their handy dandy pocket schedules LOL ) ... I was most honored when one of the young men who I watched play earlier in the day for Eastern Brown, senior Heath Unger, came up to the Cheap Seats and introduced himself to pfloyd ... I truly enjoyed talking for about 15 minutes with Heath about basketball ! great young man who answered some questions that old pfloyd had about the SHAC and EB's opponents - a very knowledgeable young man he is ... Heath knows as much about teams in AND OUT of the SHAC as I do ! ... " Heath Unger - I have known that there ARE players who do follow SEOPs from all around Southern/SouthEast Ohio - to have one of those players such as yourself take the time to introduce yourself to ME, to come to meet ME - it is I who is honored ... YOU & all of the young men such as yourself work so hard every single day whether in victory or defeat for your team & school ... YOU & ALL of the players that I have the privilege to watch deserve to be given POSITIVE recognition for your efforts ... I hope YOU and others like you see that I - pfloyd - appreciate you the players, your coaches & every team who have the opportunity to get to the Convo & beyond ... Thanks Heath ... I totally enjoyed our chat and YOU are always welcome in the Cheap Seats with pfloyd ...

... Great day yesterday in Chesapeake !!! thanks peake71 for the hospitality ...

peake71
All Conference

Re: 2016 Beasts of the Southeast ... a final

Post by peake71 »

Pfloyd thanks for the kind words. As you know it takes a team effort. It starts with Coach Davis, Chairman Tom Ross and all the other volunteers who put in all the time and effort to make this a success. We have numerous sponsors who donate money,gifts, and food.
The money raised is for our scholarships that are given to every senior player who go on to school after High School.
Each boy receives ($1000) and we also give 2 $500 scholarships to one boy and girl for academics.
We have given before this year over $25,000 in scholarships.
Pfloyd we love having you and your wife and look forward to next year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I'm marking it down for next year - blocking out the 2nd and/or 3rd weekend in January ... going to be positive and say my CT scans are going to be good and I get the green light for another year out on my scans for NEXT year !!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

im thinking waverly has a kid named mason chapman also? I know his dad went to Portsmouth , but cant remember if thats his sons first name

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

just looked at my preview and Mason is the first name of the Chapman kid at Waverly.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Getting ready to watch the Valley vs Waverly game !

Return to “Boys Basketball”