Best Players in the SVC?

wing-t
Riding the Bench

Post by wing-t »

This award is way too political.. I'm not so sure the best player always gets it. Maybe the area sports writers should vote on it ? Just a thought...........

Pikealum27
Waterboy

Post by Pikealum27 »

i agree tottally with you...thats all i was trying to say...in a nutshell

downtown22
Waterboy

Post by downtown22 »

I agree that the returning POY has to be the favorite to win the award again this year. He will be the best player on the what should be the best team, so he will probably get it. But, if they decided to vote for the overall best player in the SVC, i'd keep my eyes on Roll from Adena. I expect huge #'s all the way around for him. He can shoot, pass, and fly...literally. I talked to his brother the other night and he said Clay was dunking with ease. I look for him to be the best overall player in the league.

I can't agree 100% with you guys that are saying that every year the league champ has the POY. Yes, Miller was hands down the best player in the league his senior year, but Oates who was on the championship team won the award. (Not that he wasnt deserving)...but if your going to say that the best player doesnt win the award i think i will disagree. I know my senior year Drew Bobb of PV won POY, and the Bearcats were towards to bottom of the league. In 06' Oates won the award again, he was probably the best player in the leagues #'s wise, so he won. Instead of Milliken or Sowers who were at the top of the league also, and Adena won the league that year. And again last year, Kellough wins POY and Southeastern wins the SVC. So its not really a trend, that the POY comes from the team that wins the league. It's only happened once in the last 4 years.

Should be a very exciting year in the SVC, i really dont see one team that will hands down dominate night in and night out. I think the SVC champs will have at least 3 losses in the league...

Pikealum27
Waterboy

Post by Pikealum27 »

Drew Bobb didn't win POY.... Kyle Vulgamore did that year.....and he was the best player in the league... I think in a previous post i was trying to say that Drew Bobb had the best stats that year but heck who else was gonna score for that team they where flat out horrible. I will agree that Miliken or Sowers were the best players in the league that year...

kobe01
Waterboy

Post by kobe01 »

Josh Kellough and Clay Roll will be hands down the best players in the svc.
but it's hard to predict which player in the league will have a break out year, and win the award.

the pink panther
Waterboy

Post by the pink panther »

Jeran Cox won the POY award in 2001, but J.B Edwards averaged a double-double and 26 ppg his Senior year. 90% of the time someone from the SVC champions wins POY, just look at the history of the award.

RossCoBBfan
Waterboy

Post by RossCoBBfan »

and didnt JB win the district player of the year in 2001? should prove that the voting is very political in the SVC. I think the early fav this year is Kellough, but there is no way Tim Pettit from SE shouldn't have won last year, he was hands down the dominant player in the league on the winning team , so anything can happen.

Pikealum27
Waterboy

Post by Pikealum27 »

well that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard.....that kid was a product of a great coach....all he did was get garbage points....kellough deserved the award last year.....good player.....petit is but dominate no.....

RossCoBBfan
Waterboy

Post by RossCoBBfan »

all he did was get garbage points? wonder who you were watching, Pettit was an unstoppable rebounder and scorer on the inside, I might suggest you speak with Coach Liseth to get HIS opinion of a tough hard nosed basketball player. Also I believe Southeastern WON the conference , so you might need to re-evaluate your posistion there. That might be the dumbest post I personally have ever read on a message board. But opinions are just that, opinions.

Pikealum27
Waterboy

Post by Pikealum27 »

Okay what i said is that Petit was a product of a great coach...which he was....heck that whole team was....in junior high that team didn't win more than 5 games in two years...then they get to high school and Larry does something with them....he is a great coach....i've played against all these kids and im sorry i don't believe him to be a dominate player....I will say that he is a great rebounder and thats how he got most of his points.....Im sorry but opionins are just that opinions.....they're are like butt holes everyone has one and they all stink.. :-D :-D :-D :-D

panthermama
Waterboy

Post by panthermama »

Pikealum27 wrote:Drew Bobb didn't win POY.... Kyle Vulgamore did that year.....and he was the best player in the league... I think in a previous post i was trying to say that Drew Bobb had the best stats that year but heck who else was gonna score for that team they where flat out horrible. I will agree that Miliken or Sowers were the best players in the league that year...

Kyle Vulgamore was and is a great ball player. You can't take that away from him. He deserved POY.

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

I don't think you should put a lot of stock into the junior high records at Southeastern. All kids play equal amount. Jordan does not care about winning at that level. Same can be the same for the freshman and reserve teams as well, it is a bonus, but fundementals and his philosophies are the main things taught at those levels. I believe they last won the junior high league in the early 80's. Many varsity titles from teams that were mediocre at best in junior high.
The league champ does not automatically get the P.O.Y. , I can remember quite a few the last 10 years. At Southeastern alone , Danicki, Netter, and Pettit were probably the best players in the league and on championship teams and did not win the award. Fair or not it is the way the coaches voted.

Toolshed
Waterboy

Post by Toolshed »

the pink panther wrote:Jeran Cox won the POY award in 2001, but J.B Edwards averaged a double-double and 26 ppg his Senior year. 90% of the time someone from the SVC champions wins POY, just look at the history of the award.

pretty classy statement about one of your friends and teammates from high school pink panther. if i said i was expecting to win it, that would be a lie. i can't, nor can anybody else, control how the coaches vote. if you ever want to know the whole story on what happened, i'm sure you know how to get ahold of me. i just seriously can't believe that this is still being talked about 6 or 7 years later. wow.

hogfarmer
Riding the Bench

Post by hogfarmer »

I agree with Toolshed. There have been many years where some players should have won but did not, but I don't think I would argue that someone has won that award that did not deserve it. I really think every player who has won that award has earned that award with their play. Is it political? I have a hard time believing any of those coaches go into the all league meetings with a political agenda. People want to bring up the JB Edwards voting, I thought Cox deserved that award as much as anyone. After watching this for many, many years, there are only two players I thought should have been POY's but were not........Drew Bobb and Scott Keller. But I wouldn't argue against those players who got it instead of them. I think Vulgamore from Piketon got it instead of Drew Bobb, and I think Kerns from Paint Valley got it ahead of Keller. No one is ever going to agree with the voting on any all league team, in any sport, in any league.

Kellough is, hands down, the most complete and best player in the league this year. But there is no guarantee that he wins that award this year, just because he did last year. If the Huntsmen finish below 2nd place, I would think many people would vote for a player from the league champ.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Best Players in the SVC?

Post by mattash »

Test

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott

Return to “Boys Basketball”