Is meigs for real this season?

Hero_65
Waterboy

Is meigs for real this season?

Post by Hero_65 »

Can meigs win the TVC, and possibly make a tournament run?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Is meigs for real this season?

Post by Orange and Brown »

They could win the league but VC is showing to be one of the best teams in Southern Ohio. I haven't gotten to watch me it's play yet so I really can't say what they will or will not do at this point.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

That will be a packed house. Both teams should be undefeated for the first meeting

FannyPack
Freshman Team

Post by FannyPack »

They have played a pretty poopy schedule so far, but have beat the two capable teams that they have seen, so I'll say that they are for real. They should be 17-3, 16-4 at worst, come time for the tournament draw. You can't be an average team and not trip up, so I'll say they are above average and will be a tough out for anyone in the Logan sectional.

2015-2016 Basketball Pick 'Em Champion while picking correctly 81% of the time.
Hero_65
Waterboy

Post by Hero_65 »

I heard the score to the Meigs/Jackson game. People told me Jackson could have very well won that game. And seeing how Vinton County had their Jv in most of second half against Jackson it makes me wonder how good meigs really is.

FannyPack
Freshman Team

Post by FannyPack »

Hero_65 wrote:I heard the score to the Meigs/Jackson game. People told me Jackson could have very well won that game. And seeing how Vinton County had their Jv in most of second half against Jackson it makes me wonder how good meigs really is.
Every team can have a bad game if their fans aren't allowed to bring soda into the gymnasium.

2015-2016 Basketball Pick 'Em Champion while picking correctly 81% of the time.
warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Meigs is a very scrappy team with good guard play. As a warren fan, I can tell you they are for real. I do think a team with good height and rebounding will give Meigs a lot of trouble. They will win more than 15 games this year easily.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

After years and years of watching them get beat by everyone and nobody in the program seeming to care, it's nice to see the kids play hard and win. I don't think they're as good as VC but there 8-0 and I'd never have guessed that.

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

Of course I have to put my 2 cents in...lol...Yes Meigs is real, will we go the whole year undefeated? I hope so, but it is very hard for an upcoming team like Meigs to do this right away. We might fall into a bad game like we did with Jackson and not come out with the same result as we did. Our most wins in I believe the last 20 years has been 2 season where we won 10 games at most...I started saying 3 years ago that this group of Meigs boys coming up was going to be special. That we would be towards the top. Had many people laugh at me for thinking that.

In past years before this current group of boys in biddy league the boys were separated from each other and we only played against another Meigs team. Southern, Eastern and Wahama...We didn't have the Hocking League where we could play more competitive teams, beating these other teams and we didn't gain anything by beating them. NOW, the boys playing now are the boys that played together, started playing in the Hocking League where we would face better teams and be challenged...Only boys that didn't see the Hocking League was our Seniors, All the rest down got to experience it and stay together all these years.and it has paid off.

Vinton County and Alexander are GREAT teams and coming up through Jr. High, Freshmen, and JV and even a few Varsity games we have split with them, Our Sophomores has only lost to VC once in all the years coming up and same for Alexander. I know that's not the same as Varsity level, but still is worth noting.

Meigs goes deep this year, deeper then we have for many years. Missing Sheets for 2 games and still not missing a beat, and in both those games even one of our big shooters had 2 bad games only having 6 points in each game. So as of this year we haven't even hit on all cylinders yet, but we are getting by. I honestly think these boys are capable of putting up 100 points in a game this year. We have kids that can shoot the ball.

Last year we averaged 48 points a game, so far this year we are averaging 69 points a game, We have speed and a great transition game and a defense much improved. So we are in for a good couple of years here at Meigs.

People Have The Right To Their Opinion, And You Have The Right To Ignore It.
ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

Hero_65 wrote:I heard the score to the Meigs/Jackson game. People told me Jackson could have very well won that game. And seeing how Vinton County had their Jv in most of second half against Jackson it makes me wonder how good meigs really is.
Not going to go in a big debate. Wellston beat Jackson by 1 point, We beat Wellston by 37, Athens beat Jackson by 30 points, we beat Athens by 8 points.

Whether it was no Soda in the gym allowed by Joe Bob Hemsley or Not, Meigs had a BAD Game.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Meigs is 8-0 ... wins over Warren & Athens ... Coaches from opposing teams have told me that the Marauders are a scrappy, quality team ... the only quality teams left on the MHS schedule are their contests with Vinton Co./Alexander/Athens in A'town and NY (NY is not of the same level basketball as VC/Alex/Athens) ... we'll know more about Meigs the week of 1/12 - 15 when they face Vinton Co & Alexander back to back ... might as well throw in Athens for a 3 outta 4 game test in that week and a half of play in January ...

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

pfloyd wrote:... Meigs is 8-0 ... wins over Warren & Athens ... Coaches from opposing teams have told me that the Marauders are a scrappy, quality team ... the only quality teams left on the MHS schedule are their contests with Vinton Co./Alexander/Athens in A'town and NY (NY is not of the same level basketball as VC/Alex/Athens) ... we'll know more about Meigs the week of 1/12 - 15 when they face Vinton Co & Alexander back to back ... might as well throw in Athens for a 3 outta 4 game test in that week and a half of play in January ...

Definitely going to be some good ball games in that Span...I am hoping that Fed. Hock, Eastern and NY will test us in the games leading up to those games. So we don't relax too much. Really hate going 10 days without a game as well, Hoping it don't cool us off too much and get us in trouble..But a positive from it is Luke Musser will get to rest both his ankles that has bothered him.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

They didn't impress me like VC, Athens did but teams can have a bad night

I would say right now
1.VC
2. Alex
3. Athens/Meigs

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Hero_65 wrote:Can meigs win the TVC, and possibly make a tournament run?
Vinton County wins the TVC going away.

And no to any tournament run.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

ma77ox wrote:
Whether it was no Soda in the gym allowed by Joe Bob Hemsley or Not, Meigs had a BAD Game.
The key to beating Meigs is already out, here is how to make it a trap game for the Maruders.

The Jackson assistant principal scouted Meigs and their fans and knew how to throw them off balance. I heard many TVC members will now being implementing this strategy and many have contacted Joe Bob for additional advice.

In addition to messing with the concessions, teams will need to hire refs that allow a lot of moving screens because the Marauders hate this tactic as well. See the 12/15 thread for all the whining about this.

With the fans not cheering because they are mad about concessions, and the team having to deal with bad refs and the moving screens this will almost guarantee a 28.999% from the field and poor shot selection. See also the 12/15 thread about this.

Now that a game plan is out on how to stop Meigs I see them finishing tied for third in the TVC.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

This is classic and well deserved

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

Dandy Don wrote:
ma77ox wrote:
The key to beating Meigs is already out, here is how to make it a trap game for the Maruders.

The Jackson assistant principal scouted Meigs and their fans and knew how to throw them off balance. I heard many TVC members will now being implementing this strategy and many have contacted Joe Bob for additional advice.

In addition to messing with the concessions, teams will need to hire refs that allow a lot of moving screens because the Marauders hate this tactic as well. See the 12/15 thread for all the whining about this.

With the fans not cheering because they are mad about concessions, and the team having to deal with bad refs and the moving screens this will almost guarantee a 28.999% from the field and poor shot selection. See also the 12/15 thread about this.

Now that a game plan is out on how to stop Meigs I see them finishing tied for third in the TVC.
Grow up and move on from this discussion, No point in you hijacking every thread about Meigs and saying all this...Talk basketball for once instead of attempting to be a clown in which you play the part well.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

FannyPack wrote:
Every team can have a bad game if their fans aren't allowed to bring soda into the gymnasium.
Oh...this wins the internet.

PM me the next time you are headed to a Jackson basketball event and I'll prepay your $2 to park.

Hero_65
Waterboy

Post by Hero_65 »

I'm an Athens guy, and I watched the VC game at Athens and meigs at meigs, and let me tell you VC absolutely put it on us on our own court. From the eye, I would have to say the big 3 from VC will be too much for meigs, the big 3 being Bartoe, Albright, and Jones. All very talented guards. BUT VC has had trouble at meigs in the past. It will be fun to watch for sure.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Meigs is a solid SE district team that should surpass 15 wins. I will guess someone that shouldn't will upset them but most every team will have that as well.

Guards are excellent and Sheets has special quickness and scoring skills. I could see a team with good guards and some size underneath giving them some trouble but they are good.

Just the 1 game, so this may not be the norm but I found it intriguing how little the coach said to them during timeouts and such. Very calm with general instruction.

Down the road I'd guess a tight sectional final ....but I've been wrong before. Good Luck to them.

Edited due to not realizing they were D2
Last edited by Ironman92 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”