12-18 Wheelersburg vs Waverly

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Re: 12-18 Wheelersburg vs Waverly

Post by Ukfanatic »

I hear what you are saying. I do believe the justice kid had some d 1 offers. His brother played at Akron. Peebles folks would know for sure. I said the Truitt kid has to grow. If he does he may have a shot. Much like the miller kid at eastern who just signed with D2 Trevecca. He is potentially a d2 lower level D1

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:48 am
4thgoal wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:38 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:21 pm So you all think he has no chance to work his tail off the next 2.5 years, play hard in AAU and play D-1 somewhere.

Never say never!!!
Too much time to determine what his peak will be, but his game reminds me a lot of Drew Spradlin who ended up having a good career at Elon.....
While I absolutely do understand the comparison in playing styles, Drew Spradlin was also a legit 6'6". Truitt is around 6'2" or 6'3" tops, regardless of what the program lists or regardless of what some posters say he looks like.

I hope the burg folk wouldn't think I'm coming across as negative, because I genuinely want the kid to succeed. Heck, I wish all talented players in our area would get D1 opportunities. But unfortunately you have to be elite at something AND have size that appeals to coaches at that level. Not to mention quickness, the game is so much faster at the next level. For example, look how quick Harvest Prep looked against Burg last year. As of last summer, not a single one of Harvest Prep's players had D1 offers........... Not one. Two different players did have D2 offers, though.

Here's some statistics:

- There are 351 Division 1 college basketball schools.
- There are 13 scholarships available for each D1 school.
- That makes exactly 4,563 Division 1 scholarships available in the United States.
- A study I found states that roughly 551,000 boys played high school basketball last year in the United States.
- That means D1 scholarships will only go to less than 1% of all boys nationwide playing.
Exactly... thank you

I do wish him and all the other southern Ohio kids all the luck though.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Almost game time! Been a long day! Should be an awesome atmosphere and hopefully will be a competitive game. Remington guarding Holden has been worth the price of admission the last few meetings!

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

What does it matter where he plays , the idea is to get a education and move on.

sticks
Waterboy

Post by sticks »

smurray wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:00 pm
sticks wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:24 pm Refresh my memory. How long has Robertson been the coach?
I believe his first year as the head coach would have been 07/08 season.
That's what I thought. He's another coach that I can't figure out why Waverly has kept him so long. He's had some talent go through, but can't get it done. Same as with Ater, so much talent over the past 3 years and gets out coached every season.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Wishing the Tigers good luck tonight!

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

sticks wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:26 pm
sticks wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:24 pm Refresh my memory. How long has Robertson been the coach?
That's what I thought. He's another coach that I can't figure out why Waverly has kept him so long. He's had some talent go through, but can't get it done. Same as with Ater, so much talent over the past 3 years and gets out coached every season.
What is your definition of getting it done??

sticks
Waterboy

Post by sticks »

MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:24 pm
sticks wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:26 pm

What is your definition of getting it done??
Championships - SOC, district, or regional
How many does he have after a 10 year tenure?

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Drew scarberry was and is a heck of a player. Will be the all time leading 3 point shooter at Notre Dame college when he's done.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

I’ve never seen a group of officials try to be the star of the show quite like this group. Tigers played hard on the road, but have no answer for Holden...he’s a beast!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Waverly doesn’t seem to have a go to player. Lots of role players but nobody seems to be “the guy”

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:43 am Had a chance to see Burg Saturday night and have also watched Waverly...... this game could get ugly. Waverly doesn't have anywhere near enough consistent scoring to win this game, while Burg has plenty of options to put the ball in the hoop.

Burg 70
Waverly 52
Nailed the margin and nearly nailed the score on the nose.

Wasn’t at the game but would like a recap from someone who was. Who led the way for both teams?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Burgball#1
Freshman Team

Post by Burgball#1 »

I agree, the only thing I don't care for is our boys need to quit talking, (not sure what they were saying to get the T's) and let the athletic ability do the talking. When we were playing our game it wasn't even close. Go Burg 😊

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

Good win by our boys but man we have to lead all of southeast Ohio in technicals so far and who ever is in second probably isn’t close.

Tigers no answer for Holden tonight he killed them on glass and around the paint

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Holden has 34 and Truitt around 18?

Dunn97
Riding the Bench

Post by Dunn97 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:20 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:43 am Had a chance to see Burg Saturday night and have also watched Waverly...... this game could get ugly. Waverly doesn't have anywhere near enough consistent scoring to win this game, while Burg has plenty of options to put the ball in the hoop.

Burg 70
Waverly 52
Nailed the margin and nearly nailed the score on the nose.

Wasn’t at the game but would like a recap from someone who was. Who led the way for both teams?
Holden 34 for Wheelersburg Dunn and Remington tied with 13 each for Waverly

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

Does the coach sit the players after getting T'd up?

Sounds like the Burg basketball players are a little out of control

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

I wouldn’t say “out of control”...as said above I’d like to see them talk a little less but from what I’ve seen it’s mostly back and forth. At the Northwest game I don’t recall any trash talk from either team.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Great win by the Pirates! Waverly battled back and got it to within Three and then Holden took over. There is no way he shouldn’t average around 30-35 a game. There is no team here locally that can stop him especially once he gets the ball in the paint. Justin Salyers hit some big shots when Waverly cut it close.

Was by far the ugliest Burg basketball game I’ve ever watched. Burg players talk after every foul. They question every call. That needs to stop! It’s embarrassing to sit there and watch that. Both technicals were well deserved. If they call a foul on you, accept it and walk away. Waverly had some players talking as well and one of them deservedly got t’d up for it. Not sure what the coach said to get his.

Heard two guys from Waverly say as I was leaving, “wait until they come to our place.” It will be ugly I can bet you that.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Ugly basketball game. Was very very mpressed withHolden tonight, other than his attitude. Instead of floating around the perimeter he went inside and posted up all night. If wheelersburg plays him that way all year they will be tough to beat. I agree he should get 30 every night. That was not a seventeen point game. Waverly had it cut to 3 when the refs completely lost control. In no way shape or form am I saying the refs cost Waverly the game. They were horrible both ways. The father son combo should not be assigned varsity boys games. The game is way to fast for the,. They should stick with varsity girls,

Return to “Boys Basketball”