D4 Northwest Sectional

Mailman
All Conference

Re: D4 Boys Northwest Sectional Teams and Outlook

Post by Mailman »

bbjunky81 wrote:
Mailman wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:Still a solid 2 weeks left of basketball before seeding will occur, LOTS could change from then until now. East seems to be trending in the wrong direction, but I still expect one of the teams to make a strong charge towards a top seed (Clay, Leesburg, Peebles, SW, Western come to mind).
Notre Dame has Clay, Leesburg and Western all at home in the next couple of weeks. If they can win 2 or all they could make a move up.
Notre Dame is definitely making a good case for themselves, they're playing really good lately. Getting blown out at home by South Webster doesn't look too good for their resume, though. (Ended up 11 points, but SW was up 20 with 3 minutes left and yanked starters.... ND didn't yank theirs, for some reason).
Excellent point. But also have road wins against Western by 7 and East by 18 (who beat Webster). The thing about all the teams in the Sectional is, if one team has an off night, you're playing a team that can beat you!!

AllAboutTheU
Freshman Team

Post by AllAboutTheU »

I agree with Mailman, beating East @ East by 18 who beat SW looks good on their resume. Also, beating @Western who has beat East, Eastern and Peebles looks pretty good also. Tons of basketball left but to me there isn't much of a gap between 1-8.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Wouldn't you look more towards what the two teams did when they faced each other compared to what they did against common opponents?

I guess I don't understand putting Notre Dame about Webster because "they beat East and SW didn't," when South Webster beat Notre Dame pretty handily.

Just like the old saying goes, it's all about matchups matchups matchups. Looks like ND matched up better with East, and South Webster matched up better with ND.

Nonetheless, it really doesn't make a difference what we do or say. We don't have a vote, the coaches do. And we can all agree that this sectional is so loaded 1-8 that it may not matter who's seeded where - each game is going to be ridiculously competitive for a sectional final.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

My dead honest predictions as of today (which could change drastically within the week) is this:

1.) Eastern Pike
2.) Clay
3.) Fairfield Leesburg
4.) Peebles
5.) South Webster
6.) Notre Dame
7.) East
8.) Western

The craziest part about all of this? None of this is even remotely set in stone. I'd say Eastern is the closest thing to a "lock" right now, but if they drop a couple games these next 2 weeks, then what?

2-8 is a literal toss up and I could see several coaches voting entirely different which is going to make this thing one ridiculous toss up.

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

bbjunky81 wrote:Wouldn't you look more towards what the two teams did when they faced each other compared to what they did against common opponents?

I guess I don't understand putting Notre Dame about Webster because "they beat East and SW didn't," when South Webster beat Notre Dame pretty handily.

Just like the old saying goes, it's all about matchups matchups matchups. Looks like ND matched up better with East, and South Webster matched up better with ND.

Nonetheless, it really doesn't make a difference what we do or say. We don't have a vote, the coaches do. And we can all agree that this sectional is so loaded 1-8 that it may not matter who's seeded where - each game is going to be ridiculously competitive for a sectional final.
I would totally put Webster above ND. Beat them handily and plays a very tough schedule as well. East and Western would both be behind ND. I like your ranking "right now"

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

The coaches are going to vote to avoid Waterford in the district and try to put certain teams where they have to deal with Waterford in the district instead of meeting them in the regionals. Regardless of how the teams get seeded, they still have to play their best once the sectional starts because any of the top 8 can win it. It will be fun to watch.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

1. Clay
2. Eastern Pike
3. South Webster
4. Fairfield
5. Notre Dame
6. Peebles
7. East
8. Western

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

1. Eastern
2. Clay
3.S.W
4.Fairfield
5. ND
6. Peebles
7. East
8. Western

This is my predictions as of today. Didn't think we would see East being this low this year. Eagles and Clay beat each other on home courts and by about the same margin so I still see Eagles as that #1.

GO EAGLES
Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Ironman92 wrote:1. Clay
2. Eastern Pike
3. South Webster
4. Fairfield
5. Notre Dame
6. Peebles
7. East
8. Western
Yea!

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

brown22 wrote:1. Eastern
2. Clay
3.S.W
4.Fairfield
5. ND
6. Peebles
7. East
8. Western

This is my predictions as of today. Didn't think we would see East being this low this year. Eagles and Clay beat each other on home courts and by about the same margin so I still see Eagles as that #1.
Boo! lol!

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Gold and Blue
Don't get me started on this , u know how defensive I get..lol

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

EPN wrote:Gold and Blue
Don't get me started on this , u know how defensive I get..lol
Still several key games to be played before the seeding. But you have to allow one Boo! you guys did it at our place friday lol.I am sure this topic will start to fire up in few weeks so get your ammunition ready should be great discussion about several good teams. This year you would think the 8 seed is awarded a one seed the 7 a two and so on. No easy out for any top seed as has been in past.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

this sectional is almost impossible to seed right now, Several teams have a legit argument , to b seeded at certain spot, gonna b fun to watch this play out over these next few weeks. I look forward to have discussion with Goldand Blue and others about this seeding.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I agree that South Webster is in the 3-4 range for now, with a tough schedule and a few really good wins.

However, a lot could change this week with the brutal scheduling coming. Wheelersburg Tuesday, Waverly Friday, Clay Saturday. If they can somehow go 3-0 this week, a 1-2 seed can be argued. If they go 0-3 this week, probably looking at a 6ish seed.

There's no shame in losing to any of those 3 teams, heck there's only 9 losses COMBINED between all 3 teams. But several coaches look heavily into the record and not the strength of schedule.

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Overall records?

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

This is what I have:
Clay 12-2
Eastern Pike 13-3
Fairfield 9-3
Notre Dame 10-4
Peebles 9-4
South Webster 8-5
East 8-5
Western 7-6
New Boston 4-8
Manchester 6-10
Whiteoak 2-11

Any corrections, please post! Thanks
Last edited by a_c_m on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Madness wrote:The coaches are going to vote to avoid Waterford in the district and try to put certain teams where they have to deal with Waterford in the district instead of meeting them in the regionals. Regardless of how the teams get seeded, they still have to play their best once the sectional starts because any of the top 8 can win it. It will be fun to watch.
I'm curious, why should any of the Northwest Sectional teams want to shy away from Waterford. What does Waterford have?

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Clay 12-2

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Gold and Blue wrote:Clay 12-2
Thanks!

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

a_c_m wrote:
Madness wrote:The coaches are going to vote to avoid Waterford in the district and try to put certain teams where they have to deal with Waterford in the district instead of meeting them in the regionals. Regardless of how the teams get seeded, they still have to play their best once the sectional starts because any of the top 8 can win it. It will be fun to watch.
I'm curious, why should any of the Northwest Sectional teams want to shy away from Waterford. What does Waterford have?
No help here. I believe they return a lot of players from last year as does most of the top teams at Northwest.

Return to “Boys Basketball”