Wheelersburg
48%

Total votes: 85

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Re: SOC2 2019-20

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:55 pm
Swanker Pine wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:38 pm All three of those teams have to come down 140 still this season 😈
I agree with you, what happened in OH will most certainly not happen in South Webster. SW could not have dropped the ball in Lake Jackson that night.
Jackson Lake*

But yeah agreed. We got plenty of shots off. Worst shooting performance of the season by far.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

After today it looks more promising for Oak Hill, but won’t mean anything when those 3 huge matchups take place.

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:29 pm After today it looks more promising for Oak Hill, but won’t mean anything when those 3 huge matchups take place.
The other two are taller and a million times more athletic than OH for sure, but the Oaks have players that know how to play their roles so well along with Hammond being an absolute load that it minimizes those shortcomings about as much as you can.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

3sUp wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:38 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:29 pm After today it looks more promising for Oak Hill, but won’t mean anything when those 3 huge matchups take place.
The other two are taller and a million times more athletic than OH for sure, but the Oaks have players that know how to play their roles so well along with Hammond being an absolute load that it minimizes those shortcomings about as much as you can.
Sounds like Fairland a bit though

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:42 pm
3sUp wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:38 pm
Sounds like Fairland a bit though
I may be wrong about this but I think that if Oak Hill had been able to close the deal, after having the Burg on the Ropes for most of the game earlier at OH, not only having a 9 pt lead at the end of the 3rd Qtr, but then only being able to score 2 pts the whole 4th Qtr, that would have given them the opportunity to be a player right to the end in the SOC-2. I know, If, And, and But's, plus I have been wrong plenty of times.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Because Waverly lost to Fairland and Wheelersburg lost to Ironton?
You think Oak Hill would fair better against Fairland and Ironton?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

smurray wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:43 am
I’ll provide a post after church to explain my thoughts.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:04 am
I’ll provide a post after church to explain my thoughts.
The lord bestows wisdom upon those who seek it.
Last edited by The Ghost of Swanker on Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I wasn’t going that way at all but since you asked I’ll answer that question. Yes I think Oak Hill would fair better vs Fairland than Waverly did. I feel Fairland and Oak Hill are very similar in what they do. They may be he two best teams in the SE District and knowing their roles and playing their game. I believe Fairland is better than Oak Hill as they have more talent, but I believe they are one in the same in what they do. I would guess Fairland about 45-38 on a neutral court.

I’m not sure Oak Hill would be any closer to Ironton than Burg was but game was at home for Burg. Ironton at OH...I’m not sure. I can see a lot of different outcomes and margins. What I do know is OH would do their thing and play their game. I’m not sure how consistent Ironton is yet at doing their thing. Gun to head, Ironton at OH yesterday. I would likely go OH by 4, Ironton winning by up to 8 points wouldn’t surprise me much.

What I simply meant in my original comment is that Waverly and Burg had big games yesterday. Big games tend to tell us more about a team. Waverly just opened everyone’s eyes with their win at Burg...momentum was all theirs. Players back and time to work towards peaking in the tournament. Played a good first half against a tough team and then got waxed in the 2nd half. You gotta consider that a step back. They got punched in the face and now must prove themselves again, I have little doubt that they won’t. Oak Hill being the same style/type as Fairland and game at OH.....right now I gotta pick OH because they have consistently played their game and their style virtually every game this year. Waverly just now healthy is working towards that.

Burg gained respect winning at Jackson. They played very well and earned a big road win...look out everyone!....but then Waverly goes there and beats them (hmm?) and then Ironton (not yet consistently doing their thing) comes into Burg and hands them a loss. Sounded like Ironton was up all game. Burg’s obviously very good and talented but they’ve been knocked back a notch.

Nothing has changed overall much. All 3 huge games left is a great opportunity for each team involved to show their stuff. No team winning any of those 3 games should surprise anyone with a clue. OH has played 12? games and have been very good for 11 games and 3 quarters...yes I feel Waverly and Burg have the higher ceilings but OH has played well way more often than the other two, doesn’t mean they won’t lose by double digits to Waverly and Burg but they are the more consistent team and have had their team all year without injuries or a late start.

Now go print this off and hang it in the Waverly and Burg locker rooms, doesn’t matter to me who wins the SOC2.

Just giving honest thoughts, be they dumb or not we’ll see I guess. I’m wrong all the time.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Oak Hill is a very diciplined team that knows the system and stays in that mold. Always has been that way. Even when I was a young man back in the 70s ,when you looked in the state rankings you would see the oaks. Good coaching has always been there. Now is no exception.
When I watch this team I see good guard play,a stud in the paint who can step out and shoot and a legendary coach who can keep it all in harmony. Yesterday at the Beast it was on display: soften em up from outside and then beat them to death in the paint. I liked OH when I watched them this summer and still do.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:38 pm
I wasn’t going that way at all but since you asked I’ll answer that question. Yes I think Oak Hill would fair better vs Fairland than Waverly did. I feel Fairland and Oak Hill are very similar in what they do. They may be he two best teams in the SE District and knowing their roles and playing their game. I believe Fairland is better than Oak Hill as they have more talent, but I believe they are one in the same in what they do. I would guess Fairland about 45-38 on a neutral court.

I’m not sure Oak Hill would be any closer to Ironton than Burg was but game was at home for Burg. Ironton at OH...I’m not sure. I can see a lot of different outcomes and margins. What I do know is OH would do their thing and play their game. I’m not sure how consistent Ironton is yet at doing their thing. Gun to head, Ironton at OH yesterday. I would likely go OH by 4, Ironton winning by up to 8 points wouldn’t surprise me much.

What I simply meant in my original comment is that Waverly and Burg had big games yesterday. Big games tend to tell us more about a team. Waverly just opened everyone’s eyes with their win at Burg...momentum was all theirs. Players back and time to work towards peaking in the tournament. Played a good first half against a tough team and then got waxed in the 2nd half. You gotta consider that a step back. They got punched in the face and now must prove themselves again, I have little doubt that they won’t. Oak Hill being the same style/type as Fairland and game at OH.....right now I gotta pick OH because they have consistently played their game and their style virtually every game this year. Waverly just now healthy is working towards that.

Burg gained respect winning at Jackson. They played very well and earned a big road win...look out everyone!....but then Waverly goes there and beats them (hmm?) and then Ironton (not yet consistently doing their thing) comes into Burg and hands them a loss. Sounded like Ironton was up all game. Burg’s obviously very good and talented but they’ve been knocked back a notch.

Nothing has changed overall much. All 3 huge games left is a great opportunity for each team involved to show their stuff. No team winning any of those 3 games should surprise anyone with a clue. OH has played 12? games and have been very good for 11 games and 3 quarters...yes I feel Waverly and Burg have the higher ceilings but OH has played well way more often than the other two, doesn’t mean they won’t lose by double digits to Waverly and Burg but they are the more consistent team and have had their team all year without injuries or a late start.

Now go print this off and hang it in the Waverly and Burg locker rooms, doesn’t matter to me who wins the SOC2.

Just giving honest thoughts, be they dumb or not we’ll see I guess. I’m wrong all the time.
Very good post.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:38 pm

Thanks for the thoughts..... I look at all three teams and see Waverly and Wheelersburg with more talent but Oak Hill always does what Oak Hill does and that is play good fundamental basketball with every player understanding their roles. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

🤓🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Updated standings heading into the final weeks of the regular season.

SOC 2

Oak Hill 10-1
Wheelersburg 9-1
Waverly 9-1
Minford 6-5
Valley 5-6
West 3-7
South Webster 3-8
Eastern 3-8
Northwest 0-11

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

SOC 1

New Boston 10-0
St. Joseph 7-3
Symmes Valley 7-3
Green 5-6
Western 5-6
Clay 5-6
Notre Dame 2-8
East 0-9

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Looking back at my predictions from November 4th I nailed some teams so far but definitely missed a few also.
bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:29 am I'm guessing somewhere around the following:

SOC 1

14-0 New Boston
11-3 Symmes Valley
10-4 Ironton St. Joe
8-6 Western
6-8 Clay
4-10 Green
2-12 Notre Dame
1-13 East

SOC 2

Oak Hill 14-2
Waverly 14-2
Burg 13-3
South Webster 8-8
Valley 8-8
Minford 7-9
West 5-11
Eastern 2-14
Northwest 1-15
SOC 1 is shaping up pretty closely to what I imagined but Green has been exceeding my original expectations. Great year by them (tremendous coaching job at that)... and nearly knocked off New Boston last week.

Did pretty decent near the top but I definitely underestimated Minford and Eastern, while slightly over valuing Webster and Valley. Both can still turn the corner to end the season and finish near projection.

Here is the prediction thread for those who are interested in their own picks:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=82802

I think earlier in this thread some others predicted how they felt the SOC 2 would end up.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Wheelersburg, Oak Hill, and Waverly all have to face each other one more time. Could we possibly see a 3 way tie?

Oak Hill @ Wheelersburg tomorrow will be huge for SOC standings as well as seeding purposes.

Waverly @ Oak Hill this Friday the 31st

Burg @ Waverly February 7th

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:28 pm Wheelersburg, Oak Hill, and Waverly all have to face each other one more time. Could we possibly see a 3 way tie?

Oak Hill @ Wheelersburg tomorrow will be huge for SOC standings as well as seeding purposes.

Waverly @ Oak Hill this Friday the 31st

Burg @ Waverly February 7th
It all comes down to the last two weeks. These three face each other but they cant slip up against the "lessers" either, that would be fatal.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

We got something cooking for Burg in Webster’s senior night

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Wheelersburg over Oak Hill tonight
Waverly came back to force OT and beat Minford in the extra time.

Waverly travels to Oak Hill Friday...

Return to “Boys Basketball”