D4 Regional Semi-Final: Valley vs Western

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Re: Regional Semi-Final: Valley vs Western

Post by allOhiotraveler »

allOhiotraveler wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:38 pm I'll be taking Western in this game. I think it will be a tight one with runs throughout. I think the Western gets this wrap as a defensive minded team and while I think that is fair and their hands are the most active I have seen all year, I think people truly underestimate their offense. Coach Williams's sets are very very excellent and the way that Valley like to guard a step or two above the three point line really allows Western to get the spacing they want. Also, Western has kids that can straight get them a bucket, which is so pivotal at this point, with Miller leading that charge.

I believe senior leadership will play a large part in this game and I think if things get tight, Western really may have the poise for it.

I wouldn't doubt Valley winning this for a second though and it will be a fun game Tuesday night.
People really zeroed in on Western's schedule and how their players aren't as good. I am a transplant so I don't know the leagues, but I watch the games. Western has passed the eye test all tournament long. Don't look through the lens of the conferences and just watch the team. Western really has been great all playoffs. They stumbled in the press late tonight, but they have kids that just make plays. Great win for the Indians.

Also, I have seen this statement a lot so I will put out my two cents. So many people believe that Valley had the much superior players but Western had the better team. I really think that is a slight to Western. Honestly speaking, if you are drafting players from Valley and Western to play tonight, I believe Stuart would probably go first, but I think players 2-5 are playing for Western. Carter, Miller, Haggy, and Whitt are GREAT players. I like Arnett's game but I just don't believe that Western's players are worse than Valley's players right now.

That may put me in the vast minority but after watching extensively in the tourney, I believe it.

Also, Western should get familiar with Dayton because they will be going there next.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: D4 Regional Semi-Final: Valley vs Western

Post by pfloyd »

Pfloyd official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Valley

Scoring ... Bryce Stuart 17 (2 monster dunks), George Arnett 16, Colt Buckle 10, Levi Stewart 6, Jace Copley 3, Hunter Edwards 2, Carter Nickel 1
3 Pointers ... 1/16 ... George Arnett 1
FTs ... 10/14
TO's ... 14
PnP ... 18 fgs/ 36 points in the paint
PnT ... 5 fgs/ 10 points in transition
Pbk ... 4 fgs/ 8 points off of offensive boards

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Western Pike

Scoring ... Chase Carter 21, Noah Whitt 15, Drew Haggy 13, Kolten Miller 9, Reed Brewster 4, Kam James 1
3 Pointers ... 4/14 ... Chase Carter 2, Noah Whitt 2
FTs ... 15/27
TOs ... 15 (8 in the 4th period)
PnP ... 18 fgs/36 points in the paint
PnT ... 4 fgs/ 8 points in transition
Pbk ... 1 fg/ 2 points off of offensive boards

... fun game !!! I think we can put to bed the idea that the Western Pike schedule was the only reason they had the record they put together in the regular season ... the Western Pike squad is THE best TEAM I have seen this season - dropping the mic ... a TEAM of role players that play very well together ... both teams wanted to push the ball - and did ... both teams scored inside ... both teams scored in transition ... Western got more out of their offense in the half court as they were able to get good perimeter looks and had the personnel to knock them down ... TEAM - great defensive game - limited the transition game by Valley ... able to get back on D ... even with the 8 turnovers in the 4th quarter - it never felt like Valley was able to get back in the game - losing Copley to fouls with 4:21 to play and losing Stuart with 2:13 to play with 5 fouls ... Valley could never get the score under a 2 possession game in the 4th ... Great game! looking forward to see how Western handles the Hiland Hawks - they matchup well imo ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:56 pm
coop wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:55 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:54 pm Go Western!

Valley was far off on their perimeter shots…arena affected them. Western didn’t have the kangaroos but they had kids ready to take charges and get in the way and it was helpful in this win.

Very well coached as everyone knows and ball moved good on the offense. Wasn’t much standing around. I don’t think they have a big chip on their shoulder as much as they just don’t care…a great quality for a team in the postseason. They have a game to play, plans and plays to execute….and they just don’t care about the other stuff.
Far off as in 1-16 from 3.
That’s killer….most weren’t close either
Western Defense could have had something to do with that.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

mattash wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:17 pm SOC1 back to back years best in D4
Great job

Seofanatic
Riding the Bench

Post by Seofanatic »

Great game, Western Indians. What a great team to watch play ball. I've watched a lot of good basketball over the years and I've never enjoyed watching a team play more than this one. I've said it all year, they were going to make noise and could play with almost anyone in the SOC II. Defensively, they're not intimidated by anyone and play a good as any team I've ever watched.
Great season by Valley. I think more than anything, Western holding Copley to 3 points played a huge role in winning this game. They've got a ton coming back and I'm sure will be making some runs the nectar few years.

Harambe
Riding the Bench

Post by Harambe »

What a game! I was wrong about the Indians again. Great Team win Western!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Image pfloyd & Lou at the Convo for Basketball:30 … click on the pic and we are actually standing LOL ... fitting to have my 12,000th SEOPs post a pic with Lou ...
Attachments
E7BBC1F6-C6AF-4FB1-A99C-27A0CE5F019E.jpeg
Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:15 am Image pfloyd & Lou at the Convo for Basketball:30 …
Couple of stars.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:13 pm
transplant wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:10 pm Western wanted it more. Congrats on the win. Keep it going next round.
It’s ok buddy, hang in there.
Haha thanks. I’ll be fine. Valley just didn’t play good. Got in foul trouble. Things you can’t do at this point in the year. Good luck to western. Might as well go win it all.

Space Between
Waterboy

Post by Space Between »

Valley likely to go D3 next year. Really missed their opportunity here. Still made some noise and a District Title is a great accomplishment. But I feel like they had their eyes set on getting to a final 4

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Space Between wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:45 am Valley likely to go D3 next year. Really missed their opportunity here. Still made some noise and a District Title is a great accomplishment. But I feel like they had their eyes set on getting to a final 4
Agree. Highly likely they're in D3 next year and the regional is always harder with Africentric/Harvest/Worthington Christian's of the world coming down.

Valley is still going to be very good and likely the SOC 2 favorite, but losing Stuart will be a blow. Super athletic kid who effected the game in many ways.

Watching SE Ohio basketball

Return to “Boys Basketball”