D4 Regional Semi-Final: Valley vs Western

Harambe
Riding the Bench

Re: Regional Semi-Final: Valley vs Western

Post by Harambe »

There is no way Valley is the dog here. Western almost came unglued at the end of the Trimble game when the pressure started to way on them. They were just lucky they were able to have a big enough lead. Valley is not Trimble and they are healthy. Stuart will have a field day. Only thing that loses this for Valley is foul trouble.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

What players that contribute now were not part of the rotation during the blowout from last postseason?

Seofanatic
Riding the Bench

Post by Seofanatic »

Harambe wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:45 pm There is no way Valley is the dog here. Western almost came unglued at the end of the Trimble game when the pressure started to way on them. They were just lucky they were able to have a big enough lead. Valley is not Trimble and they are healthy. Stuart will have a field day. Only thing that loses this for Valley is foul trouble.
Unglued? The closest Trimble got was 8. Western won by 16. Just remember, Guffey was supposed to have a field day too. You're right when mentioning foul trouble. I expect the frustration of the pressure brought by Western to come in to play.

Harambe
Riding the Bench

Post by Harambe »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:50 pm What players that contribute now were not part of the rotation during the blowout from last postseason?
Valley’s most athletic kid Perkins last year is now at ironton. He moved. Western didn’t have Chase Carter or Haggy. But imo it’s not gonna matter valley will force them to do things they haven’t had to deal with all year. Unless I’m missing someone they played against similar to valley

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Post by allOhiotraveler »

I think this was a very even matchup. So I am surprised that people think it will be a run away one side or another. But everyone thought Valley would blow the doors off Fairfield and didn't give the Lions the time of day for that game and they almost won. Dismissing a Western team that is playing its best is, in my opinion, very foolish.

Harambe
Riding the Bench

Post by Harambe »

Western has beat no one. Trimble plays no one so their record will be good. Not to mention they were playing a man down with Weber. Fed hock is the best team they have probably played and they gave up 60 to them. This Valley team is different. I don’t think it’s a blow out but Western will never feel like they are in it imo. We will see.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

No one that’s actually from Lucasville or a fan of Valley is dismissing Western.

EVERY win is EARNED at this level.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

coop wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:44 pm No one that’s actually from Lucasville or a fan of Valley is dismissing Western.

EVERY win is EARNED at this level.
… I don’t think at this point there are underdogs when it comes to SE District teams vs SE District teams in the regionals … execution wins … either team can win this one - the Convo IS a different animal - multiple 3 point lines seem to push shooters further out on the court, the background takes getting used to … one thing that travels well is DEFENSE … both of these teams can play it for 32 minutes … I’m excited to see these teams spread the floor lol … best of luck to both teams …

Big Blue Nation
Waterboy

Post by Big Blue Nation »

Valley has to play better half court defense and use their feet instead of trying to reach and then commit lazy fouls. Both games in the district Valley got down big early. Against South Webster they had a big run in the second quarter and led by a 6-8 point margin at halftime. Against Fairfield they got down early too and were very, very fortunate to escape with a one point win. Valley shot themselves in the foot time after time with silly turnovers and didn’t rebound very well all night. If they don’t value the basketball every possession against Western they won’t win. With all that said, I think Valley plays one of their best games of the year and comes out on top.

Valley - 68
Western - 55

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Should be a great game between two outstanding teams. Let's hope for an injury free game for both teams.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Go Valley

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Western is playing great basketball and definitely peaking at the right time. I think we all agree if Valley plays like they did against Fairfield then Western will win.

But I still think Valley has too many horses here. Most of these kids have never played at the Convo before so shooting could be a problem both ways. Whatever team handles pressure and can get to the rim/free throw line wins, and I think that team is Valley.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

Based off only watching Valley twice both being against Waverly and Valley giving the Tigers all they wanted through the majority of both games I see them being a much tougher matchup for Western. Although it should be noted that Valley did have close games to Piketon which Western blewout early and Fairfield another team Western demolished in there foundation game. I don't see an argument for saying Valley is unbeatable. Trimble and Fed Hock were both solid teams/wins for Western. Trimble even with the lack of strength of schedule still only lost 1 game which anyone knows is hard to do, Trimble is also a very well coached team. Western is loaded with seniors and is a MUCH different team compared to last season. Western plays hard and all five starters can put the ball in the basket. With all that being said, I have to once again go with the rolling WESTERN INDIANS for a 68-67 victory over the valley indians in a battle at the CONVO.

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

The other thing that comes into play in big games like this is coaching. Valley has a rookie Coach who has done an outstanding job this year. Western has, in my opinion, one of the best coaches in the SE District who has more experience than his rival at Valley. If this is a close game in the 4th Q, the advantage goes to Coach Williams and the Western Indians. Looking forward to watching this game.

purplegold
Riding the Bench

Post by purplegold »

I've said it many times before, anytime someone advances to state in any sport, there is obviously skill involved by the players, but there is also a little bit of "good luck" too. I think we saw Valley was very fortunate (lucky) to pull out the win against Fairfield. Credit to the Fairfield defense that obviously pestered Valley. But the Indians played one of their worst games to date and still came out with a 1 point win. The game was incredibly sloppy and painful to watch (except those 2 spectacular dunks).

I hope that we got our bad game out of our system, because I think we all know that when Valley is playing the way they are capable, they can take this thing as far as they want! Looking for Valley to bounce back (even though they won) and play much better basketball. Valley by 12, 67 - 55.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Western has lost to one team by more than 5 points since day 1 of the season.

Fox Chapel out of Pittsburgh beat them by around 12-15 this summer. They have around 1400 students.

Fox Chapel just won the WPIAL (Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic League) in Pennsylvania going 24-1 on the year with a legit D1 guard.

Summer doesn't matter though right even though beating McClain/Leesburg etc. proved Western could play. Neither does the 25 previous games winning by 21ppg although losing the 4th quarter plus/minus on the season.

This game will come down to who can take care of the basketball and handle the pressure of the moment.

Whose pressure will cause the other team to panic? That's who will win this one.

Good luck to the Indians.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

AnkleBraces wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:50 am Western has lost to one team by more than 5 points since day 1 of the season.

Fox Chapel out of Pittsburgh beat them by around 12-15 this summer. They have around 1400 students.

Fox Chapel just won the WPIAL (Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic League) in Pennsylvania going 24-1 on the year with a legit D1 guard.

Summer doesn't matter though right even though beating McClain/Leesburg etc. proved Western could play. Neither does the 25 previous games winning by 21ppg although losing the 4th quarter plus/minus on the season.

This game will come down to who can take care of the basketball and handle the pressure of the moment.

Whose pressure will cause the other team to panic? That's who will win this one.

Western beat Fairfield in a scrimmage or what? I didn’t think they played in season? If Western handled Fairfield the easy math says Western shouldn’t have much trouble with Valley.

Can Western win the regional finals? Not sure who they’d play?

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Ed Ott wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:12 am
AnkleBraces wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:50 am Western has lost to one team by more than 5 points since day 1 of the season.

Western beat Fairfield in a scrimmage or what? I didn’t think they played in season? If Western handled Fairfield the easy math says Western shouldn’t have much trouble with Valley.

Can Western win the regional finals? Not sure who they’d play?
Western played Leesburg 3 times. Twice in the summer and they played a foundation game. Western winning solidly in all 3 matchups. Western was up by around 20 before subbing in the foundation game. However, I don't think Valley played their best at all against Leesburg in the district final, so I don't think that would be a valid way to compare them. Valley handled Leesburg easily at the beginning of the year as well in a regular season game.

Both Valley and Western can beat Newark Catholic/Berlin Hiland in my opinion.

In the state semi finals they would likely meet Richmond Heights who recently beat D1 powerhouse Lakewood St. Edwards who just won the distict as well. Good luck to either team if they advance to Dayton.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Give me the Indians by 3 in this one

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

I think another interesting point will be how will Western respond if/when Valley goes on one of those runs (21-2 run vs SW and 12-0 run against Fairfield)

Return to “Boys Basketball”