Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #3 (SEOPS HO...HO HO Edition)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #3 (SEOPS HO...HO HO Edition)

Post by pfloyd »

Athens record fixed ... thanks !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #3 (SEOPS HO...HO HO Edition)

Post by pfloyd »

... controversy for the holidays ! Eastern Pike / Western Pike/ Fairland/ Oak Hill ... my job is done ...

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:10 pm ... controversy for the holidays ! Eastern Pike / Western Pike/ Fairland/ Oak Hill ... my job is done ...
I think the controversy should be, why is Gallia Academy still at #3.

2 of their 3 wins are to #45+ teams (Rock Hill 3-3 & River Valley 1-6).

Their 2 losses.

Ironton (3-3)
Africentric - I'm not sold on Africentric. They beat Huntington High by 4 the night after Huntington High lost to Fairland by 29. And this is the Fairland team that graduated their top 6 players from last year.

I think you are showing GA far too much respect. Sooner or late they have to prove that they deserve that spot.

Merry Christmas! :D

Post by mrwonderful »

I agree with Tri-state Youthsports….I don't think Gallia is #3 team in Southeast..I don't think there top 10..I'm sticking with my top 3
1. Sheridan
2. Logan
3 .Burg
Cinderella team to end season in top 10 is McClain!!!!

Unbiased
Waterboy

Post by Unbiased »

EagleNut14 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:37 am Oak Hill beat Eastern and both have 1 lost and is still below Eastern? Eastern beat Fairland and both teams have the same number of loses but Eastern is behind them? Western with 1 loss beat Portsmouth who has 3 loses and is a good bit behind them???
I would agree with this. However, Eastern lost a player and that Fairland team has shown great growth since the close OT loss to Eastern. I would take Fairland over Eastern a a few others in front of them. Fairland may have lost their top 5 but they are a top 8 team. Especially after beating a solid Huntington High team by 29. Personally, I do agree with the Gallia being overrated. Honestly, I believe that Fairland is not getting the respect they have proven to deserve. I’m not sold that Gallia is the favorite over Fairland or Ironton in that case, for the OVC. The rankings do look great though. Opinions are what makes it fun. Merry Christmas to all!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

#3 Gallia @ #1 Logan ... Dec 28 Logan High School...

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

enjoy pfloyd, should be a great one

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... will travel to Waverly to the Pike County Holiday tournament on Championship Saturday ... my first look at both Eastern and Western Pike ... Waverly I caught when they beat Athens , Piketon was beaten by Chesapeake the same day at the Piketon Tip Off Classic ... should be a fun night of hoops at the House that Hawhee Built in downtown Waverly ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... let's add fuel to the fire ... this is how I looked at Fairland, Eastern Pike, Western Pike, and Oak Hill through this past weekend :

#17 Oak Hill ... W in FIRST game of the season over Eastern @ Eastern (44-41) ... L to the Burg 58-76 ... W vs a Blevins-less South Webster ...
#13 Eastern Pike ... L 41-44 FIRST game of the season to Oak Hill ... W in OT to Fairland 54-52 ... W in 3OTs to NB (#30) ... W over #35 Western 53-45 ...
#35 Western Pike ... L to Eastern 45-53 @ home ... W 64-61 Portsmouth (PHS has lost 3 of their last 4 and could have easily lost their last 4 in row - 2 pt win over South Point) - Western's best win to a struggling Portsmouth team going the wrong way in the rankings)
#12 Fairland ... W over a FULL STRENGTH South Wesbter 51-38 ... L by 2 to Eastern Pike 52-54 ... W 58-51 over Ironton ... W vs Coal Grove - need to count this one if we count Eastern win over Western as a quality W ...

... Oak Hill (.5 Eastern Pike + 0 Wheelersburg + .5 Blevinsless SW) = 1
... Eastern (0 OH + 1 Fairland + .5 Western + .5 NB) = 2.0
... Western (0 Eastern + .5 PHS ) = .5
... Fairland (1 South Webster + 0 Eastern + 1 Ironton + .5 CG )= 2.5

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

mrwonderful wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:29 pm I agree with Tri-state Youthsports….I don't think Gallia is #3 team in Southeast..I don't think there top 10..I'm sticking with my top 3
1. Sheridan
2. Logan
3 .Burg
Cinderella team to end season in top 10 is McClain!!!!
... Sheridan visits Logan later in the season, Logan also goes to Chillicothe, plays Athens & a trending Vinton County team ... Sheridan doesn't play nearly the schedule of Logan but could move into #1 before the LHS match up if Logan doesn't take care of "bidness" even if the teams they play are not SE district teams - you still have to win at some point no matter who you play ... Wheelersburg? they travel to East Liverpool on the 28th , the Potters were 6-2 before Christmas I believe - always quick/athletic teams for EL ... a good matchup ... the rest of the Burg schedule? - Jackson at the Burg ... Russell KY and Greenup KY neither are as good as a Waverly/Jackson on the schedule ... looking at the WHS schedule there are only 20 games listed - not sure of the other 2 games to give them a 22 game schedule ... looked like with the EL game on the road this Friday the Burg only plays 5 more games on the road the rest of the season ? ... going to fun to watch how the Elite plays out ! great stuff from the Cheap Seats ...

Gooaks
Waterboy

Post by Gooaks »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:14 pm ... let's add fuel to the fire ... this is how I looked at Fairland, Eastern Pike, Western Pike, and Oak Hill through this past weekend :

#17 Oak Hill ... W in FIRST game of the season over Eastern @ Eastern (44-41) ... L to the Burg 58-76 ... W vs a Blevins-less South Webster ...
#13 Eastern Pike ... L 41-44 FIRST game of the season to Oak Hill ... W in OT to Fairland 54-52 ... W in 3OTs to NB (#30) ... W over #35 Western 53-45 ...
#35 Western Pike ... L to Eastern 45-53 @ home ... W 64-61 Portsmouth (PHS has lost 3 of their last 4 and could have easily lost their last 4 in row - 2 pt win over South Point) - Western's best win to a struggling Portsmouth team going the wrong way in the rankings)
#12 Fairland ... W over a FULL STRENGTH South Wesbter 51-38 ... L by 2 to Eastern Pike 52-54 ... W 58-51 over Ironton ... W vs Coal Grove - need to count this one if we count Eastern win over Western as a quality W ...

So your down grading oak hills win At eastern bc it was the first game? Eastern probably wanted that game more than any other game after oak hill beat them 30+ the year b4 and knocked them out of the tournament. It was a mad house that game and oak hill went in there and was up as much as 14? Giving eastern .5 points for beatin NB and western and oak hill .5 for beating eastern is laughable. And yes blevins didnt play against Webster but are you knocking a 2 loss waverly for losing to Webster in a game blevins didn't finish and lost to the same amount oak hill did to burg? Oak hill has 5 wins against the top 45 and the only game under single digits was at eastern. I think all 3 teams are good and should be high i just dont agree with that point system or 2 and 3 loss teams ahead of 1 lost teams ironton has lost 3 games but u keep them high bc they lost to good teams? All these teams have only 1 loss to good teams.

EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:14 pm ... let's add fuel to the fire ... this is how I looked at Fairland, Eastern Pike, Western Pike, and Oak Hill through this past weekend :

Lol really? Idk what's worse this or the CFP committee system. Head to head should trump anything IMO. If Porstsmouth has dropped 3 of its last 4 and could've lost the 4th than why are the still so far ahead of Western Pike? You do great job Pfloyd and I enjoy checking your rankings but I just dont get why the head-head matchups don't matter. Keep it simple

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Going to be interesting to see how far Adena can climb. A lot of length and athleticism with a very balanced attack. Any given night, Fout, Sykes, Bennet, or Garrison can drop 20 on ya with Fogelsong and Shipley being nice complimentary players. Big matchup on 1/4 against ZT. Winner gets the advantage in the SVC.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Thanks for input on Oak Hill/Eastern/Western/Fairland ... I don't use a point system - just tried to give you a "visual" as to my thinking which obviously doesn't coincide with your thinking LOL ... all wins and losses are important but I do look at injuries, when/where games are played, who played /who didn't , where teams are in MY rankings , strength of schedule , AND most importantly how do teams look on the court compared with all of the top teams I have seen etc. ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... mattash ! I love ALL of the changes in formats (additions of the scoreboard, team schedules, league standings etc.) ... keeps me from scouring the world for scores 'til the wee hours of the mornings LOL ... thank you for all you have done to the site over the years ALL for the better ...

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:04 pm ... mattash ! I love ALL of the changes in formats (additions of the scoreboard, team schedules, league standings etc.) ... keeps me from scouring the world for scores 'til the wee hours of the mornings LOL ... thank you for all you have done to the site over the years ALL for the better ...
Its a work in progress. Thanks and thanks again for all the hard work on the elite 8

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... are there any SE Ohio teams playing in out of state holiday tournaments this year ??? in the past we've had Portsmouth, Logan Elm, Fairland too I believe to name a couple or three who have traveled to either Myrtle Beach, Orlando or North Carolina somewhere to play during the Christmas/New Years break ... back in the jjhuddle days I used to track Ohio vs the USA holiday game records - maybe this doesn't happen as much due to the costs or maybe it is just a cost burden on the smaller Southern/Southeast Ohio schools/teams ... I haven't seen/heard anything on seops one way or the other - was just curious ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Looks like Coach Speed has the Fairland Dragons traveling north to the big city to play Dublin Jerome and Dublin Coffman on back to back nights this Friday/Saturday ! ... good experience for the "varsity experience" youngin's from FHS ! I know that Coach Speed has had his Dragons playing UP during the Christmas break as they have taken on the likes of Hilliard Davidson in the past as well as taking the Dragons South/out of state South to play as well ...

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:42 pm Looks like Coach Speed has the Fairland Dragons traveling north to the big city to play Dublin Jerome and Dublin Coffman on back to back nights this Friday/Saturday ! ... good experience for the "varsity experience" youngin's from FHS ! I know that Coach Speed has had his Dragons playing UP during the Christmas break as they have taken on the likes of Hilliard Davidson in the past as well as taking the Dragons South/out of state South to play as well ...
They are playing in the Stephen Gussler Invitational @ Thomas Worthington

Post by pfloyd »

The Elite 8 by the numbers (thanks mattash for the numbers thru 12/26/18 ):

.... Team .... Record ..... PF (avg) ........ PA (avg)
1. Logan ...... (4-2) ......60 ppg ........... 50 ppg
2. Sheridan ... (8-0) ......71 ppg ........... 51 ppg
3. Gallia ...... (3-2) ...... 64 ppg ........... 46 ppg
4. Zane Trace (7-1) ...... 64 ppg ............ 52 ppg
5. Wheelersburg (5-0) ... 76 ppg ........... 50 ppg
6. Chillicothe ..(6-3) ..... 51 ppg ........... 44 ppg
7. Jackson .....(6-2) ...... 60 ppg ........... 49 ppg
8. Washington CH(5-2) ... 55 ppg ........... 49 ppg
8. Athens (6-2) ............ 52 ppg ........... 44 ppg

Return to “Boys Basketball”