Clay 54 South Webester 48 (2017 Convo)

Prime Time
All State

Re: Convo: 3/11 (12PM) #1 Clay vs. #6 South Webster

Post by Prime Time »

I really can see the Jeeps holding Clay under 40, I have seen a lot games this year and for a Div 4 school South Webster is right there with the best, they kinda got that tough swagger and confidence. Waterford and South Webster collision ahead.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Also I wanted to add that Coach Fenton is a great young Coach, showed a lot of class and game plan.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I noticed the score of the first game was low scoring. 44-37? I remember listening on the radio and Shonkwiler had a 3 on the way which would have tied it late but it didn't fall and The Jeeps had to foul.

Prime Time: I see you have crossed over from the Dark Side and have become a believer.

The Waterford--Eastern Winner plays the #4 Africentric -- #3 Wellington winner in the Regional Semis.

The Clay-- SW winner plays the #1 Harvest Prep --- #2 Grove City Christian winner in the Regional Semis.

Our SE District champs will be underdogs in both those matchups.

Also the fact that the 2 seed went into the same district as the 1 seed is curious and tells you that they believe the 1 seed is beatable. The 3 and 4 seeds were both happy to go into the other district and all 4 have survived to the finals.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

LucasDavenport wrote:I noticed the score of the first game was low scoring. 44-37? I remember listening on the radio and Shonkwiler had a 3 on the way which would have tied it late but it didn't fall and The Jeeps had to foul.

Prime Time: I see you have crossed over from the Dark Side and have become a believer.

The Waterford--Eastern Winner plays the #4 Africentric -- #3 Wellington winner in the Regional Semis.

The Clay-- SW winner plays the #1 Harvest Prep --- #2 Grove City Christian winner in the Regional Semis.

Also the fact that the 2 seed went into the same district as the 1 seed is curious and tells you that they believe the 1 seed is beatable. The 3 and 4 seeds were both happy to go into the other district and all 4 have survived to the finals.
Wellington should come out on one side of bracket as Africentric lost one of their star players to injury and appear to be beatable this year. #2 Grove City Christian split with Harvest Prep this year, so that game could go either way. Agreed though that seOhio teams will be underdogs regardless who comes out.*

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

Of course Prime Time is going to go with Webster over Clay. I mean Webster did just beat your Howie Tomcats. Have seen both teams play numerous times this season and a low scoring game would favor Webster but it is a tough task to keep Clay low scoring. Many times this season they have had 4 in double figures. Should be a good game and I think Clay wins the district title.

KY.BUCKEYE
Freshman Team

Post by KY.BUCKEYE »

Good luck to both teams. SE0 D4 has some very good teams.

G0 BuCKs
EagleEye3
Riding the Bench

Post by EagleEye3 »

art_vandelay wrote:
LucasDavenport wrote:I noticed the score of the first game was low scoring. 44-37? I remember listening on the radio and Shonkwiler had a 3 on the way which would have tied it late but it didn't fall and The Jeeps had to foul.

Wellington should come out on one side of bracket as Africentric lost one of their star players to injury and appear to be beatable this year. #2 Grove City Christian split with Harvest Prep this year, so that game could go either way. Agreed though that seOhio teams will be underdogs regardless who comes out.*
I'm no expert on this and it probably happens in other divisions also but why on earth do the 2 district champs from the SE district not play in the regional semi ? Yes I know they've played in past years but shouldn't you always play teams within your district until you're the last standing then move on from there?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

EagleEye3 wrote:
art_vandelay wrote:

I'm no expert on this and it probably happens in other divisions also but why on earth do the 2 district champs from the SE district not play in the regional semi ? Yes I know they've played in past years but shouldn't you always play teams within your district until you're the last standing then move on from there?
One weird thing I've never understood is that the 'matchups' within the Regional are supposed to be flipped every year if I remember correctly.. So every 3rd year, the two SE Ohio winners would be playing each other in the Regional semi's...... but it seems like several years in a row now they haven't played each other. My guess is someone in Columbus complained that the "two best teams" come from Columbus each year and thus they put the SE Ohio teams on the chopping block.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
EagleEye3
Riding the Bench

Post by EagleEye3 »

My memory may be a little bias but the last time I remember it happened was in 2012. Eastern Pike played Manchester in the Regional Semi and then Africentric in the Reg Final. I'm not sure if it's happened since then.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

EagleEye3 wrote:My memory may be a little bias but the last time I remember it happened was in 2012. Eastern Pike played Manchester in the Regional Semi and then Africentric in the Reg Final. I'm not sure if it's happened since then.

In 2013 South Webster played Notre Dame in the Regional Semi-final.. I do believe that's the last time it has happened. 4 straight years of SE teams playing Columbus teams seems kind of...... odd.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

The Southeast District had 2 District Champions in 11,12, and 13. They played each other in the Regional Semifinals each of those years. (Manchester beat SW in 11).

In 2010 we only had 1 District champion.

2009 we had 2 and again they played each other.

2008 we had 2 and they were split and Oak Hill beat Harvest Prep before losing to Worthington Christian in the finals.

They are supposed to draw once the Regional Assignments are set. It is disappointing that for the 4th year in a row the brackets cast the 2 SE district teams away from each other. You have to go back to 2009 to find the last time a SE District team defeated a Central District team. ( Oak Hill v Newark Catholic 09 Reg Final).

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

Lets go Jeeps! I haven't been this excited for a game since I was heading up to the Barn!

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I think this should be a great game! Clay at 22-2 and truly playing great. I think they started 0-2 in SOC1 play and everyone outside their locker room probably gave up on the league title. To come back and win it and to be blitzing through the opposition says a great deal about them.

The 2:00 and 4:00 games should be great too.

Also the winner of the 12:00 game can drive up 33 to Bloom Carroll HS to watch their Regional Semi opponent as the Harvest Prep v GC Christian game is at 3:30. That used to be a tough drive but thanks to your tax dollars is a fairly easy one now.

Spectator555
Waterboy

Post by Spectator555 »

Expect to see King and Gilliland make a statement this game, both have talent but I believe Clay has more offensive weapons. But this game could come down to who wants it more, and who comes out ready to play. The older blevins is a senior and is playing like one, he's really stepped it up for their team lately fighting for his season to extend, and could be a big factor. The matchups are pretty interesting in this game. I'll predict Clay comes out hot and gets an early lead that Webster can't recover from.

I'll take Clay by 18

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

Can't wait for the game! Hopefully the Jeeps can pull the upset!

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Wanted to give a shout out to Ryan Grashel who played on the 04 team for Webster. Ryan coached Groveport Madison to a #7 seed in the very tough Division 1 Central District and took #3 seed Hilliard Bradley to the wire in the District Semi before succumbing 58-56.

Coach Grashel very quietly has built a program at Groveport Madison.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

LucasDavenport wrote:Wanted to give a shout out to Ryan Grashel who played on the 04 team for Webster. Ryan coached Groveport Madison to a #7 seed in the very tough Division 1 Central District and took #3 seed Hilliard Bradley to the wire in the District Semi before succumbing 58-56.

Coach Grashel very quietly has built a program at Groveport Madison.
Heck yeah...thats some serious basketball he coaching up there. Pretty solid season by Coach Grashel and his team.

Also might as well give a shout out to South Webster alum Austin Loop who hit 6 3-pointers today for Marshall who upset Louisiana Tech in Conference USA semi-finals. Austin broke the all-time Marshall record for 3's earlier this year. Marshall plays Middle Tennessee State tomorrow night for a trip to NCAA tourney.*

IWatchFromTheStands
Waterboy

Post by IWatchFromTheStands »

As long as Clay plays like they did the second half of the Miller game then this one will be going to Clay. With that being said I think this will be a tough game for both squads. Webster has done just as I predicted and made it this far. I have Clay winning 58-46. Will be around a 7 point game until Clay hits free throws at the end.

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Both of these teams have represented their schools well this year. Each with senior leaders. Believe this will be very competitive game by both. Look to see my panthers advancing. Good luck excited for the game tomorrow.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

any radio coverage for this game?

Return to “Boys Basketball”