#4 Waverly(66) @ (46)#5 Gallia Academy

Sports-nut
JV Team

Re: D2 2/24 #4 Waverly vs. #5 Gallia Academy (Southeastern)

Post by Sports-nut »

Most of those height numbers are directly from the Hudl team listing.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

No way the Tigers go 12 deep. We will see the usual 9 man rotation, possibly a 10th if necessary but that means something is wrong.
They will have had a whole week off to rest a little, fresh legs. The Tigers ONLY problem the last 4 games was making shots. They couldn't buy a bucket against Wheelersburg (hit just one or two more and they win) and was even worse in the first half at Northwest. The first half against Minford wasn't much better. Tigers need to work on knocking down shots and FT's throughout every practice this week and then work on them some more.
IF WAVERLY HITS A HIGHER % OF THEIR SHOTS THAN THEY HAVE THE PAST COUPLE WEEKS THEY WIN!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Should be a good game ,if loveday can start scoring points and become a threat on offense gallia can play with anyone and will be dangerous, peck is a great player anx killed my Trojan's in both mstchups this year ,he will be the man to slow down for waverly to win but loveday is great on defense and a shot blocker big time.

Good luck ,pulling for the ovc here .

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Gallia Academy is a balanced team even though in some games it has not came out that way. 5 different players have lead Blue devils in scoring this year. This team seems to play it's best though when Peck is effective. I think this will be a very good game. Expectations have been raised in the French city and i will be surprised if this team does not find a way to make it to the convo.

hardfowl
All State

Post by hardfowl »

The game can be heard on Big Country 99.5 FM and online at www.wbyg.com.

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

smurray wrote:No way the Tigers go 12 deep. We will see the usual 9 man rotation, possibly a 10th if necessary but that means something is wrong.
They will have had a whole week off to rest a little, fresh legs. The Tigers ONLY problem the last 4 games was making shots. They couldn't buy a bucket against Wheelersburg (hit just one or two more and they win) and was even worse in the first half at Northwest. The first half against Minford wasn't much better. Tigers need to work on knocking down shots and FT's throughout every practice this week and then work on them some more.
IF WAVERLY HITS A HIGHER % OF THEIR SHOTS THAN THEY HAVE THE PAST COUPLE WEEKS THEY WIN!
My point exactly! I think the Tigers will be in trouble. IMO Travis will have to go deep into his bench to find outside the arc shooters. Shots scored inside the lane will be few and far between with there stationary big on the inside. Also GA turns the ball over a lot. Every transition shot is gonna be important for Waverly. With that said I've noticed the last couple weeks the transition game of Waverly isn't what it was earlier. Guy's are just not hustling down the court, making lazy passes, and missing layups late in the games.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Sports-nut wrote:
smurray wrote:No way the Tigers go 12 deep. We will see the usual 9 man rotation, possibly a 10th if necessary but that means something is wrong.
My point exactly! I think the Tigers will be in trouble. IMO Travis will have to go deep into his bench to find outside the arc shooters. Shots scored inside the lane will be few and far between with there stationary big on the inside. Also GA turns the ball over a lot. Every transition shot is gonna be important for Waverly. With that said I've noticed the last couple weeks the transition game of Waverly isn't what it was earlier. Guy's are just not hustling down the court, making lazy passes, and missing layups late in the games.
I agree, that is what MUST get corrected this week. Its a brand new season and the Tigers have to get back to where they were earlier with the transition and knocking down shots. Either knock down a higher % of the 3's or make more layups. They are missing both right now.
It's a MUST for Waverly to push it up and down the floor and make easy shots. With GA turning it over often Waverly has to take advantage of that.
If Waverly can do that they won't be in trouble and no need to go 10-12 deep unless it's the last couple minutes and the game is in hand.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Good luck blue devils

ROLL PEAKE
svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Sports-nut wrote:
Blue Devils do turn the ball over a lot.. but usually don't give up a lot of points over it.. Blue Devils probably turned ball over 25 times versus Portsmouth.. but maybe 3 or 4 of those turnovers in back court.. most of this turnovers.. are below opponents foul line and Blue plays pretty good transition defense..

One other thing when people talk about Blue Devils blocked shots everyone pays attention to the 7 or 8 loveday gets a game.. but this team probably averages at least another 5 or 6 blocks a game from the rest of the team.. if you count all the Blue devil blocks as turnovers for other side Blue Devils would break about even in turnovers every night or win the battle..

Even though they don't do it all the time Blue Devils can pressteap pretty good themselves.. trap works pretty good with the 6-5 peck on top of it and loveday on back end if you beat it.. it is also very effective with loveday on top..

Tigerfan92
Waterboy

Post by Tigerfan92 »

I would love to see the Waverly team that played the 1st 10 games of the season show up for tourney. That high energy, aggresssive defense and running the floor. This team is not loaded with shooters but they can transition and force teams to get back on defense which will wear on teams. I have not seen GA play this year but sounds like the Tigers can get out and go.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

Good luck to both teams. Should be a good matchup.
Last edited by minford17 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Love this matchup, size vs. speed. I may have to take this one in.

I'll go with:

Waverly 58
Gallia 54

Watching SE Ohio basketball
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Any team that blocks between 12-14 shots a game at the HS level shouldn't have a loss. That's an absurd stat.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

danicalifornia wrote:Any team that blocks between 12-14 shots a game at the HS level shouldn't have a loss. That's an absurd stat.
But how many wins should a team have that averages probably 22 or 23 turnovers a game have. I don't know that it is that many but over half there games i know are over 20 with a few games around 30. don't know that they had any games with less then 13 or 14.

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

What time is this game?? Might drive over to see a potential opponent of the Vikings.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Skiisme wrote:What time is this game?? Might drive over to see a potential opponent of the Vikings.
6:00 PM

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

6:00 tip. I want to see this game as well but as a fan of the Chillicothe Cavaliers who play Jackson afterwards at 8:30 the split session makes it a tougher decision. Plus the schedule seems strange this year with Friday's winners going to different districts.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

Thank you!!

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Game day Blue devils best of luck tonight.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Changed my mind on this game Gallia wins 62-59

Return to “Boys Basketball”