vc @ Jackson 1/31/2017

baseball16
All State

Re: vc @ Jackson 1/31/2017

Post by baseball16 »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Mark my words, Jackson is going to be very good! I don't know much about that league they are entering, but I can see them competing right-a-way for a league title. They have a lot of young talent, shooters, bigs, and decent role players that will gut you out effort. An outstanding young coach who works his butt off, coaches, fund raises, scouts, and he is a hometown boy to boot, Jackson has a great opportunity to make plenty of noise in the future.

My concern is that Jackson can't always stay out of its own way. For example, as I was leaving the game last night I heard several Jackson fans express their dislike and disappointment in Coach Morrow, saying things like; "...the stage was too big for him..." and "...he doesn't know what he is doing..." and "...they should have won..." or my personal favorite, "...Vinton County won because Combs handled the refs better..."

Anyway, my point is if the naysayers, nincompoops, and narcissistic agenda makers, shut up and sit down, and not call the district office every time they are "offended" you may have a coach that last longer than two years. Heck, in ten to fifteen years, I can see him being the caliber of coach that Coach Combs is right now, that being 280 wins, bunch of league titles, sectional and district championships.

But leave it to you guys, at some point you will allow some hairdresser to run him out of town.
WELL SAID!!!

THAT COULD GO TO A LOT OF TEAM'S FANS!!! :lol:
Well not really Fans! I call them "POT STIRRERS!"

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Jackson almost pulled this one out! I bet it was a heck of a game to watch!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

Great game to watch!! VC struggled shooting from the field the free throw line. It kept the game close. But I loved to see them not quit, keep shooting, playing good D and pull this one out.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

You can listen to the play-by-play replay by clicking on the following link:

http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpre ... orts013117

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

I knew this would be closer than most, my guess will be a very tight game with Logan.
Not always about how you play a team the first time around.
Learn from it.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Mark my words, Jackson is going to be very good! I don't know much about that league they are entering, but I can see them competing right-a-way for a league title. They have a lot of young talent, shooters, bigs, and decent role players that will gut you out effort. An outstanding young coach who works his butt off, coaches, fund raises, scouts, and he is a hometown boy to boot, Jackson has a great opportunity to make plenty of noise in the future.

My concern is that Jackson can't always stay out of its own way. For example, as I was leaving the game last night I heard several Jackson fans express their dislike and disappointment in Coach Morrow, saying things like; "...the stage was too big for him..." and "...he doesn't know what he is doing..." and "...they should have won..." or my personal favorite, "...Vinton County won because Combs handled the refs better..."

Anyway, my point is if the naysayers, nincompoops, and narcissistic agenda makers, shut up and sit down, and not call the district office every time they are "offended" you may have a coach that last longer than two years. Heck, in ten to fifteen years, I can see him being the caliber of coach that Coach Combs is right now, that being 280 wins, bunch of league titles, sectional and district championships.

But leave it to you guys, at some point you will allow some hairdresser to run him out of town.
Very classy post by someone on the Viking staff .
SMH

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I admire your support of Coach Morrow but not sure about the rest of your post. Who were these people that were grumbling after the game? I sat in a section very near several contributing players' families....never heard a single word except for how proud they were of the Ironmen team and how hard they played. I'll assume you are being honest and not embellishing your story....still don't see the purpose of putting it on here. It was a great great game, any chance a few Vikings parents were upset with Combs...any chance?

The rest was quite unnecessary. Please list all of the coaches the Jackson parents/community have ran out of town. One person's family had the same coach removed twice. I must note they are a Wellston family.

Your post just seemed like a big ol jab at Jackson. I watched a great game, maybe my seat wasn't as good as yours but nothing about that game gave any reason for one community to jab at the other.

Good Luck to the Vikings this postseason...I'll be at the Convo cheering them on like I do most every season.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Ironman92 wrote:

I admire your support of Coach Morrow but not sure about the rest of your post. Who were these people that were grumbling after the game? I sat in a section very near several contributing players' families....never heard a single word except for how proud they were of the Ironmen team and how hard they played. I'll assume you are being honest and not embellishing your story....still don't see the purpose of putting it on here. It was a great great game, any chance a few Vikings parents were upset with Combs...any chance?

The rest was quite unnecessary. Please list all of the coaches the Jackson parents/community have ran out of town. One person's family had the same coach removed twice. I must note they are a Wellston family.

Your post just seemed like a big ol jab at Jackson. I watched a great game, maybe my seat wasn't as good as yours but nothing about that game gave any reason for one community to jab at the other.

Good Luck to the Vikings this postseason...I'll be at the Convo cheering them on like I do most every season.
First, Mr. Poo Bear, since you are relatively new to the Jackson community, your version of Camelot, Jackson has not had a very good record with basketball coaches. Since the early 1990's only two Jackson coaches have tenured only four years apiece, Bornhorst and Ford. Therefore, lets say since the last 26 years, only two coaches have 8 total years between them, everyone else, less. That equates to a numerous number of coaches, and dare I say, I can't remember them all.

Secondly, I92, yeah...maybe it was a slight jab at Jackson. Heck, you know I have been known to do that. Anyway, here is my point. Max Morrow is a very fine young basketball coach who has worked his butt off and brought energy, excitement, and enthusiasm back to a dying program. He has kids that want to play for him, he has kids that have bought into his ideal of a Jackson program, and they are very working hard. And then, already this year, acting on an anonymous tip, Coach was too hard on kid and was suspended for two games. So lets drop the righteous indignation act and lets say it is what it is...self serving individuals with an agenda, just like with McKinnis and the hairdresser all over again, want something else. Maybe they see what I see, a program full of talent and they think they could do better, or somebody else could do better. Let me tell you, coaches like Combs, Maddox, Stiverson, Pearson, just don't walk in off the street, they build, they learn, they tear down, and they build again, O V E R.....T I M E. Programs are never built in the first three years, but they can be significantly set back in those three, especially if outside forces continue to dictate their idea of the program to the guy who is in the arena. The guy who puts his name and face on the line each and everyday, the guy with the guts and courage to put himself out there, everyday, not some lackey behind a keyboard or a phone receiver.

Lastly, no. Our parents/fans were disappointed in our kids. They know that their effort in the first four minutes and the second half was questionable at best. Because they seen these kids play at a different level than they showed the other night. But also, they know from after seventeen years of watching Coach Combs coach, they know that is not normally the team he puts on the floor, night after night. And after seventeen years and his resume, he has earned that level of respect. Hopefully, maybe, Coach Morrow will get there too.

I will certainly be rooting for him.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If Jackson has their 7th thur varsity playing the varsity coaches system he looks to be doing a great job. Jackson program for the future is looking real good. They will do just fine in their new league. Too bad the SEOAL is finished because they would have seen some good ball from the Ironmen.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

hawkeyepierce wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:

First, Mr. Poo Bear, since you are relatively new to the Jackson community, your version of Camelot, Jackson has not had a very good record with basketball coaches. Since the early 1990's only two Jackson coaches have tenured only four years apiece, Bornhorst and Ford. Therefore, lets say since the last 26 years, only two coaches have 8 total years between them, everyone else, less. That equates to a numerous number of coaches, and dare I say, I can't remember them all.

Secondly, I92, yeah...maybe it was a slight jab at Jackson. Heck, you know I have been known to do that. Anyway, here is my point. Max Morrow is a very fine young basketball coach who has worked his butt off and brought energy, excitement, and enthusiasm back to a dying program. He has kids that want to play for him, he has kids that have bought into his ideal of a Jackson program, and they are very working hard. And then, already this year, acting on an anonymous tip, Coach was too hard on kid and was suspended for two games. So lets drop the righteous indignation act and lets say it is what it is...self serving individuals with an agenda, just like with McKinnis and the hairdresser all over again, want something else. Maybe they see what I see, a program full of talent and they think they could do better, or somebody else could do better. Let me tell you, coaches like Combs, Maddox, Stiverson, Pearson, just don't walk in off the street, they build, they learn, they tear down, and they build again, O V E R.....T I M E. Programs are never built in the first three years, but they can be significantly set back in those three, especially if outside forces continue to dictate their idea of the program to the guy who is in the arena. The guy who puts his name and face on the line each and everyday, the guy with the guts and courage to put himself out there, everyday, not some lackey behind a keyboard or a phone receiver.

Lastly, no. Our parents/fans were disappointed in our kids. They know that their effort in the first four minutes and the second half was questionable at best. Because they seen these kids play at a different level than they showed the other night. But also, they know from after seventeen years of watching Coach Combs coach, they know that is not normally the team he puts on the floor, night after night. And after seventeen years and his resume, he has earned that level of respect. Hopefully, maybe, Coach Morrow will get there too.

I will certainly be rooting for him.
Glad you don't have any entitled folks with any agendas....unfortunately there are some floating around. I hope Max is around for the long haul...and he knows it.

It only takes one parent to burn things up completely...hopefully those around Jackson can't find their matches and hopefully none of folks settle down in Viking land.

Still don't know what coaches beside McKinniss were ran off....maybe Blackstone in the early 90's.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Re: vc @ Jackson 1/31/20

Post by Poo Bear »

hawkeyepierce wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:

I will certainly be rooting for him.[/quote

I know the story of the Jackson basketball program history, and trust me I could blow the whistle on a lot the backdoor, shady , behind the scene dealings in your Camelot . However I am not that guy . Just surprised that someone on the VC staff would get on a talk forum and throw mud at another program. But to each his own.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

T.J. May, resigned, but wasn't going to be renewed. But I think if you asked him, he is doing ok.
Bruce Hurst, was fired, but in all fairness, he was a bad hire.
Larry Jordan, the Jackson public couldn't stand his eccentric-ness, despite having 600 wins, fired.

Those are the ones that come to mind.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I am not throwing mud at any program. I am throwing mud at the "Jackson faithful." I don't trust them. However, I have nothing but admiration and respect for Coach Morrow and the program, if you misunderstood my intentions, that is on you.

Secondly, I would love to hear your stories. I would be interested in how much you may think you know.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

hawkeyepierce wrote:I am not throwing mud at any program. I am throwing mud at the "Jackson faithful." I don't trust them. However, I have nothing but admiration and respect for Coach Morrow and the program, if you misunderstood my intentions, that is on you.

Secondly, I would love to hear your stories. I would be interested in how much you may think you know.
It would blow your mind but it's pointless.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

hawkeyepierce wrote:T.J. May, resigned, but wasn't going to be renewed. But I think if you asked him, he is doing ok.
Bruce Hurst, was fired, but in all fairness, he was a bad hire.
Larry Jordan, the Jackson public couldn't stand his eccentric-ness, despite having 600 wins, fired.

Those are the ones that come to mind.
Sometimes coaches get fired or move on. May was fine and is doing well. I'm not greatly certain on the juicy stories that you know.

Bruce Hurst :D

Jordan was a blast for me to watch as a fan...how did Jackson ever get ahold of him? Wasn't he a decent coach at Southeastern with a few final 4's and had the gymnasium named after him? Must have hairdressers in Richmond Dale. Prayers

I'll give you May because you know more than I do with your inner circle membership. McKinniss is the only one I feel that was definitely ran out due to parents. He was ridiculously removed from the girls program and then years later the boys program. The vengeance of all that was ridiculous.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Poo, it is easy to blow my mind, I'm stupid.

I92, fair enough.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

I would never sling mud or try to embarrass a program on a talk forum so what's in the past will stay there.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Com'on Poo, are you not understanding me? I AM NOT OR NOR WOULD I "...sling mud or try to embarrass a program..." Like I stated, I have nothing but the most admiration and respect for Coach Morrow and the Jackson basketball program.

I am slinging mud at the Jackson faithful, I don't trust them. They have proven themselves to be disloyal and untrustworthy in the past. Again, not all, but some, right I92?

Unless you consider the "so-called" fan base a part of the program; however, I would not.

It is like asking this....

If you throw a banana peel out the window of a moving car, did you just litter?

Seinfeld television success, was it because of the fan-base or because the creative product THEY (the program) produced every week?

Or is a fan-base a part of a sports program?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Com'on Poo, are you not understanding me? I AM NOT OR NOR WOULD I "...sling mud or try to embarrass a program..." Like I stated, I have nothing but the most admiration and respect for Coach Morrow and the Jackson basketball program.

I am slinging mud at the Jackson faithful, I don't trust them. They have proven themselves to be disloyal and untrustworthy in the past. Again, not all, but some, right I92?

Unless you consider the "so-called" fan base a part of the program; however, I would not.

It is like asking this....

If you throw a banana peel out the window of a moving car, did you just litter?

Seinfeld television success, was it because of the fan-base or because the creative product THEY (the program) produced every week?

Or is a fan-base a part of a sports program?
I wouldn't call them "faithful"...maybe just entitled parents that persisted until they got their way.

Maybe just semantics. I would consider those that regularly attend and listen on the radio year in and year out as the Jackson faithful. Not parents that are invested for the 4 years their kid plays and never went to games before or after that timeframe.

Also, I can't get an answer but figured you'd know. Could you supply me the FG% for Cooper Donaldson and Tristen Bartoe for Tuesday's game. It didn't seem like either of them took very many shots.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I wouldn't have Donaldson, but I could get Bartoe's.

Return to “Boys Basketball”