Players Transferring

Gopher
Varsity

Re: Players Transferring

Post by Gopher »

PVCGuru wrote:If a kid isn't playing at one school, and will play at another school and it makes them happy, what's the problem?

With open enrollment, kids transfer for all kinds of reasons these days. Playing time is just one of many reasons.
Spoken just like one of the parents the Division I coach was referring to in the video link. Whatever it takes to make them feel good about themselves.

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

Gopher wrote:
PVCGuru wrote:If a kid isn't playing at one school, and will play at another school and it makes them happy, what's the problem?

With open enrollment, kids transfer for all kinds of reasons these days. Playing time is just one of many reasons.
Spoken just like one of the parents the Division I coach was referring to in the video link. Whatever it takes to make them feel good about themselves.
If you had any clue who I was or about my background, you'd laugh at that comment.

Why would someone get butthurt about a kid that they don't want to have play for them transferring?

How do you feel about a kid that transfers to a better team and loses playing time? Does that hurt your feelings too?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

PVCGuru wrote:
Gopher wrote:

If you had any clue who I was or about my background, you'd laugh at that comment.

Why would someone get butthurt about a kid that they don't want to have play for them transferring?

How do you feel about a kid that transfers to a better team and loses playing time? Does that hurt your feelings too?
Just don't see the purpose. If you live in Waverly (for example) and you have went to school in Waverly from K-10th grade and in 11th grade transfers and open enrolls at Valley because they are maybe a little better program....

I just don't get that one bit. To each their own.

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

Ironman92 wrote:
PVCGuru wrote:
Gopher wrote:

Just don't see the purpose. If you live in Waverly (for example) and you have went to school in Waverly from K-10th grade and in 11th grade transfers and open enrolls at Valley because they are maybe a little better program....

That's a reasonable position.

I have coached kids that transferred in and other that transferred out. I learned to never take it personally because you never know what someone else's priorities are.

I would tell you that very few kids leave solely based on playing time. Usually is a lot of other things at play.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

PVCGuru wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:
PVCGuru wrote:

That's a reasonable position.

I have coached kids that transferred in and other that transferred out. I learned to never take it personally because you never know what someone else's priorities are.

I would tell you that very few kids leave solely based on playing time. Usually is a lot of other things at play.
That's certainly fine. I do not agree with the vast majority of them though.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Ironman92 wrote:
PVCGuru wrote:
Gopher wrote:

I have friends who take this stance and it is weird to me. From a kid's standpoint, since your parent chose a place for you, you should always choose to stay in that situation regardless of your own happiness, goals, etc.?

And as a parent, it is more important for your child to continue *your* commitment and live out your choices than it is to be open or find a situation that might enable them to better maximize *his/her* own potential?

I mean, I want to seek opportunities that are the best for myself and my family and my kids. There are a lot of things that you don't get more than one shot at in life. I can't imagine limiting my kid's opportunities simply based on the fact that I chose a place for myself several years ago if that place isn't best preparing them for their own future. I'd like to hear more of where you are coming from on this because it is difficult for me to understand.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

enigmaax wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:
PVCGuru wrote:

I have friends who take this stance and it is weird to me. From a kid's standpoint, since your parent chose a place for you, you should always choose to stay in that situation regardless of your own happiness, goals, etc.?

And as a parent, it is more important for your child to continue *your* commitment and live out your choices than it is to be open or find a situation that might enable them to better maximize *his/her* own potential?

I mean, I want to seek opportunities that are the best for myself and my family and my kids. There are a lot of things that you don't get more than one shot at in life. I can't imagine limiting my kid's opportunities simply based on the fact that I chose a place for myself several years ago if that place isn't best preparing them for their own future. I'd like to hear more of where you are coming from on this because it is difficult for me to understand.
I respectfully disagree. I don't see how it is limiting any opportunities.

I live in Jackson. My son will live with me in Jackson until he goes off to college. He will play basketball at Jackson (if he chooses to continue to play).....if Jackson is a 1-22 team in 4 years he'll probably be one of the top players....if they are 18-5 he'll probably be a good role player. I know it and he knows it too. His teammates will be all the other kids that are playing and his coach will be whoever the coach is.

We go to school for education. Jackson prepares kids very well for the higher level courses in college. He has another sport that he may be college worthy...time will tell. But he's staying here providing Jackson still offers that sport.

Others feel differently....that's fine.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Thanks for the response. Did you graduate from Jackson? Have you lived there your whole life? Would you consider moving for a better job for yourself? I would like to understand your perspective.

You mentioned "as long as Jackson has that sport." Does that mean you'd consider moving/transferring if they dropped that sport?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

enigmaax wrote:Thanks for the response. Did you graduate from Jackson? Have you lived there your whole life? Would you consider moving for a better job for yourself? I would like to understand your perspective.

You mentioned "as long as Jackson has that sport." Does that mean you'd consider moving/transferring if they dropped that sport?
I have lived my entire life (other than freshman year of college) in Jackson. As for moving/transferring I have been driving 65 miles one way to school for the past 19 years....so that pretty strongly answers that.

If Jackson were to drop the other sport...no way we'd move for that. It would be ridiculous.

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

Ironman92 wrote:
enigmaax wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:

I live in Jackson. My son will live with me in Jackson until he goes off to college. He will play basketball at Jackson (if he chooses to continue to play).....if Jackson is a 1-22 team in 4 years he'll probably be one of the top players....if they are 18-5 he'll probably be a good role player. I know it and he knows it too. His teammates will be all the other kids that are playing and his coach will be whoever the coach is.

We go to school for education. Jackson prepares kids very well for the higher level courses in college. He has another sport that he may be college worthy...time will tell. But he's staying here providing Jackson still offers that sport.

What if the coach of that other sports at Jackson decides that your kid isn't going to.play. Regardless of what you think his talent level is. Are you still staying there? What if the coach decides your kid is a moron and decides to tell college coaches not to recruit them. You still staying there?

I guess loyalty to a school is fine but the above does happen.

And before it's brought up, yes every parent thinks that little Jimmy is better than he really is, but every once in a while they are correct that they are getting screwed.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Ironman92 wrote:I don't speak for anyone else but

I just want to put out there that my kid won't transfer to play basketball under any circumstances. If he were elite (pretty sure fire future D1 college player)....then maybe if it were necessary purposes. He won't be going to greener pastures so he can play sparingly at OUC.

Be a part of the answer, not a part of the problem.

+1

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

PVCGuru wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:
enigmaax wrote:

What if the coach of that other sports at Jackson decides that your kid isn't going to.play. Regardless of what you think his talent level is. Are you still staying there? What if the coach decides your kid is a moron and decides to tell college coaches not to recruit them. You still staying there?

I guess loyalty to a school is fine but the above does happen.

And before it's brought up, yes every parent thinks that little Jimmy is better than he really is, but every once in a while they are correct that they are getting screwed.
Then my kid and I will go to the field house 2-3x a week to work on his game and work hard to improve where needed to get onto the court. We do it now and he's had a great season on a 13-0 team. When he has trouble with stuff during a game or a skill of the game...we go and work on it. No entitlement.

If the coach thinks my kid is a moron then I'll show him paper from the state showing his perfect state test scores in math two straight years and social studies.

If a coach told a college not to recruit my son I'd find all the other people to prove him incorrect.

When my kid gets screwed in my mind or his mind...we attack the problem and work harder.

Anyone that knows me or my kid will validate my answers.
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

"I guess loyalty to a school is fine"

smh

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

thebarlowbandit wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:I don't speak for anyone else but

I just want to put out there that my kid won't transfer to play basketball under any circumstances. If he were elite (pretty sure fire future D1 college player)....then maybe if it were necessary purposes. He won't be going to greener pastures so he can play sparingly at OUC.

Be a part of the answer, not a part of the problem.

+1
+100

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

Ironman92 wrote:"I guess loyalty to a school is fine"

smh
Obviously in your world, the kid must support the school no matter what. Correct?

Honest question. Have you ever observed a coach from another school that you would absolutely not let your kid play for?

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

There really is cases to where I feel transferring is okay. I mean fore the most part I don't thing someone is transferring for the reason to better their chances for getting a college deal. Most are transferring to smaller schools just to get playing time.

Sometimes it's not all about how good or good a player is, someones little Johnny might be very good and possibly they play for a Coach that goes by Names and who Mommy and Daddy are. It does happen.

So Little Johnny transferring to be able to see valuable minutes in a game because he loves the game of basketball and knows his time playing the game he loves is limited to the time he is in high school...No he don't want a college deal, he just wants to play the game and he knows if transferred he will get to actually play and not have to sit their and just watch.

Once again their is coaches out there that it doesn't matter how good a player is, they have their own agenda of who is playing.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

High School sports 99.9% of the time is not a very good reason to transfer.

A better reason to transfer would be for your son or daughter to receive a better education and improve his or her opportunities post-High School. The number of people (Dads) that get caught up in this nonsense is increasing at an exponential rate it seems, and usually there is no benefit or marginal benefit. A local individual went back and forth 4-5 times between two schools from MS to graduating HS and I am not sure there was much benefit.

Academics is a better reason.

tvc_fan wrote:There really is cases to where I feel transferring is okay. I mean fore the most part I don't thing someone is transferring for the reason to better their chances for getting a college deal. Most are transferring to smaller schools just to get playing time.

Sometimes it's not all about how good or good a player is, someones little Johnny might be very good and possibly they play for a Coach that goes by Names and who Mommy and Daddy are. It does happen.

So Little Johnny transferring to be able to see valuable minutes in a game because he loves the game of basketball and knows his time playing the game he loves is limited to the time he is in high school...No he don't want a college deal, he just wants to play the game and he knows if transferred he will get to actually play and not have to sit their and just watch.

Once again their is coaches out there that it doesn't matter how good a player is, they have their own agenda of who is playing.

I just don't buy the whole coaches and hidden agenda theory that continues to permeate through a lot of these discussions. Call it "fake news".

Kids should work on school and then extracurricular activities, put the High School sports "glory years" in proper perspective. When kids are 25 sentence structure, spelling, communication and being fundamental in math, world history and having a solid education will be more important than playing time. Working hard, competing, and being a part of a team will probably serve them better than 200 additional minutes they got by transferring from school A to school B.

But, I could be wrong and often I am.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Education is real important when so many kids go to college, flunk out or go to the pros early, get hurt and have nothing to do because they have no education. Over the whole college thing we have so many kids that just cannot do the college thing because of grades GIVEN in high school. So many times our kids today are not given an honest grade.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

Dandy Don wrote:High School sports 99.9% of the time is not a very good reason to transfer.

A better reason to transfer would be for your son or daughter to receive a better education and improve his or her opportunities post-High School. The number of people (Dads) that get caught up in this nonsense is increasing at an exponential rate it seems, and usually there is no benefit or marginal benefit. A local individual went back and forth 4-5 times between two schools from MS to graduating HS and I am not sure there was much benefit.

Academics is a better reason.

tvc_fan wrote:There really is cases to where I feel transferring is okay. I mean fore the most part I don't thing someone is transferring for the reason to better their chances for getting a college deal. Most are transferring to smaller schools just to get playing time.

I just don't buy the whole coaches and hidden agenda theory that continues to permeate through a lot of these discussions. Call it "fake news".

Kids should work on school and then extracurricular activities, put the High School sports "glory years" in proper perspective. When kids are 25 sentence structure, spelling, communication and being fundamental in math, world history and having a solid education will be more important than playing time. Working hard, competing, and being a part of a team will probably serve them better than 200 additional minutes they got by transferring from school A to school B.

But, I could be wrong and often I am.
LOL, You really wanna play spelling game, it's called auto correct and not re-checking.

For your info, I have a High School Education, Degree in Business Administration, Degree in Accounting, I have managed several places, And now going on my 4th year of Owning and running a Very Successful Business.

Oh yeah and while accomplishing all that I raised 3 boys on my own. So before you try to correct some spelling in an attempt to make me look stupid, think again!!!

Most local High School teach at the same level, and transferring can get them not only playing time in something they love and also the same education.

I would like to add, that I am Meigs Alumni, 2 sons are Meigs Alumni and now attending College (One played College Basketball and the other signed to play baseball (but said heck with getting up at 5am and decided to focus on Education) My 3rd son will also be a Meigs Alumni. So none of this applies to me, But I have seen several kids transfer from Meigs that wouldn't have had much playing time at Meigs, and went to different Meigs County Schools and loved playing for them.

WARNING: I didn't go back and do a spell check since this is just a Message Board and not any type of Legal Forms or such, so apologize if any words auto-wronged.

Oh And that Local boy your talking about that went back and forth to 4-5 different schools is now getting an Education paid for and also playing basketball at the Collegiate Level. So although transferring to different schools did not hurt him at all..I do believe he graduated High School with a 3.8, I might be mistaken on that grade as well.
Last edited by tvc_fan on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

PVCGuru wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:"I guess loyalty to a school is fine"

smh
Obviously in your world, the kid must support the school no matter what. Correct?

Honest question. Have you ever observed a coach from another school that you would absolutely not let your kid play for?
Funny because I always sit at home games behind the visitor's bench because I enjoy watching and listening to the other coaches. Love listening to Maddox, Combs, LaFon and many others as they do their thing.

The answer to your question is no. You don't stop playing a sport you love because of a coach. I have multiple past experiences with this.

Yes, the kid supports his school. Shocking.

Return to “Boys Basketball”