AP Poll

Falcon01
S

Re: AP Poll

Post by Falcon01 »

danicalifornia wrote:
Falcon01 wrote:Grove city Christian with a really nice doubt OT win at Desales tonight. GCC is for real
They have like 11 seniors, which is insane for a D4 private school. They have a really nice freshmen group, which are getting to play together due to that massive senior class. Should be a nice little run for them.

That win over Desales is outstanding.
Was following Zach fleer in twitter and sounded like an awesome game. I didn't know they had so many seniors. That's actually pretty cool.

Shoot_It_From_Deep
Freshman Team

Post by Shoot_It_From_Deep »

Does anyone have a website to check the AP polls? Thanks.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Shoot_It_From_Deep wrote:Does anyone have a website to check the AP polls? Thanks.
A link is in the comments above.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Bud07 wrote:Just an FYI Fairfield Union scrimmages Cols South and Dayton Dunbar early in the season. Beat south and lost to Dunbar by 2 so these polls are junk until about game 20, but I'd rather just see how the tourney plays out.

Because scrimmages actually mean something?

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Pol pot wrote:
Bud07 wrote:Just an FYI Fairfield Union scrimmages Cols South and Dayton Dunbar early in the season. Beat south and lost to Dunbar by 2 so these polls are junk until about game 20, but I'd rather just see how the tourney plays out.

If they didn't mean ANYTHING, nobody would schedule them....

Bud07
Freshman Team

Post by Bud07 »

Falcon01 wrote:
Pol pot wrote:

They don't mean a lot but it is just odd that they are 4 and 5 in the state and FU Isn't even top 15 with a 10-1 record. Don't you think?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Bud07 wrote:
Falcon01 wrote:
Pol pot wrote:

They don't mean a lot but it is just odd that they are 4 and 5 in the state and FU Isn't even top 15 with a 10-1 record. Don't you think?
While I agree that FU should at least have gotten votes, this completely misses the point of scrimmages. Team A and Team B's performance in a scrimmage is in no way indicative of how the two teams would play in an actual game. Also, scrimmage results are not exactly the most widely publicized nor easily accessible items to find. Some coaches will not want to discuss scrimmage scores for a variety of reasons; some others may mention the score but will give a variety of reasons/excuses as to why the score is the way it is. Are scrimmages worthwhile? Of course they are - but when it comes to ranking teams, they are not even worth five seconds of consideration, and rightfully so.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

formerfcfan wrote:
Bud07 wrote:
Falcon01 wrote:
While I agree that FU should at least have gotten votes, this completely misses the point of scrimmages. Team A and Team B's performance in a scrimmage is in no way indicative of how the two teams would play in an actual game. Also, scrimmage results are not exactly the most widely publicized nor easily accessible items to find. Some coaches will not want to discuss scrimmage scores for a variety of reasons; some others may mention the score but will give a variety of reasons/excuses as to why the score is the way it is. Are scrimmages worthwhile? Of course they are - but when it comes to ranking teams, they are not even worth five seconds of consideration, and rightfully so.

Agree with this. They mean NOTHING to how teams will do during the season. My original comment was mostly being a smart a$$. As for FU, just beat BC and let things happen. These polls are junk and meaningless anyway.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Bud07 wrote:
Falcon01 wrote:
Pol pot wrote:

Yes and no, the W-L's will come first for a lot of votes, but also the local media rep will come into play, FU has a local reporter with a vote, he could singlehandedly get FU onto the list of votes. So when a local team is not receiving votes the first place to look is the local representative

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

formerfcfan wrote:
Bud07 wrote:
Falcon01 wrote:

+1

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Pol pot wrote:
Bud07 wrote:
Falcon01 wrote:
Yes and no, the W-L's will come first for a lot of votes, but also the local media rep will come into play, FU has a local reporter with a vote, he could singlehandedly get FU onto the list of votes. So when a local team is not receiving votes the first place to look is the local representative
I do not believe Tom at the LEG has a vote. I could be wrong though. He's never mentioned it to me though.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Falcon01 wrote:Anyone know who the SE writers are who get votes? Because they HAD to be the ones voting oak Hill #1.. which is ridiculous.
Athens, Gallia, and Jackson. Idk who else has a vote

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Falcon01 wrote:
Pol pot wrote:
Bud07 wrote: They don't mean a lot but it is just odd that they are 4 and 5 in the state and FU Isn't even top 15 with a 10-1 record. Don't you think?
I do not believe Tom at the LEG has a vote. I could be wrong though. He's never mentioned it to me though.
Chillicothe which LE is in their readership area, and I'd think that Circleville would have a vote.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I believe the sports editors get to vote. Wiseman at the messenger, Walters at the Daily Tribune, Boggs use to have a vote - but he is no longer editor at the Jackson Times Journal so I don't know. My guess is, whoever holds that position at the Jackson paper gave Oak Hill the No. 1 vote.

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

Look people, Rankings and all-state teams are basically a popularity contest and reputation of the school, coach, or player...It's a rigged system ! I won the election even though the media {reporters} told you I was behind.....and yes I will build that wall.....life is rigged.......There are so many kids that are as good as or better than the all-state selections every year IN EVERY SPORT.. Same holds true for Teams.....The difference is their coach didn't push for them or their team wasn't any good...There's several reasons....But one reason always holds supreme....Who do u have helping you....MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! " I'm The Donald and I approve this Message"

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

donaldtrump wrote:Look people, Rankings and all-state teams are basically a popularity contest and reputation of the school, coach, or player...It's a rigged system ! I won the election even though the media {reporters} told you I was behind.....and yes I will build that wall.....life is rigged.......There are so many kids that are as good as or better than the all-state selections every year IN EVERY SPORT.. Same holds true for Teams.....The difference is their coach didn't push for them or their team wasn't any good...There's several reasons....But one reason always holds supreme....Who do u have helping you....MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! " I'm The Donald and I approve this Message"
What's in that pipe you're smoking? And those rose colored glass' will have to go. :shock:

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

New Poll is out.

D2 Vinton Co is 6th and Fairfield Union 17th

D3 Oak Hill 4th and Fairland 7th

D4 Waterford 8th

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

Ironman92 wrote:New Poll is out.

D4 Waterford 8th

Ironman92, you better watch out mentioning those rankings. Certain fans get a little defensive. I mentioned the Oaks and ranks a couple of weeks ago and a member got a little excited and preached to me about whining about ranks, scheduling and insulting Pfloyd (which I didn't by the way). Soooo rather than arguing, I just sit back, kept my mouth shut and let the Oaks do the talking with their game. Seems to working out. :lol:
Last edited by Oaktown on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Oaktown wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:New Poll is out.

D4 Waterford 8th

Ironman92, you better watch out mentioning those rankings. Fairland gets a little defensive. I mentioned the Oaks and ranks a couple of weeks ago and Dragonslair got a little excited and preached to me about whining about ranks, scheduling and insulting Pfloyd (which I didn't by the way). Soooo rather than arguing, I just sit back, kept my mouth shut and let the Oaks do the talking with their game. Seems to working out. :lol:

This post is definitely you sitting back and keeping your mouth shut.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

Haha! Couldn't help it. First post in two weeks. I took the high road long enough.

Return to “Boys Basketball”