Wheelersburg vs harvest prep

Urban
Riding the Bench

Re: Wheelersburg vs harvest prep

Post by Urban »

scott1297 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:17 pm Who cares if teams have transfers! The kids are allowed to go play for whatever school they wish or whatever coach they like. There is nothing wrong with it. Ohsaa is trying to figure out a way to make it more competitive though and to make it harder on the schools that do have a lot of transfers but until they get it right with this competitive balancing this is what we have to deal with so it is what it is and no amount of complaining is going to change it.
Well the first thing in an AA meeting is admitting that you have a problem.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Sportsnut wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:54 am Is there a connection between Waginger transfer and Lowery and Truitt "transfers"?
Not like it is the same coach or anything.
All schools recruit players and some do better than others. Until they do away with the open enrollment BS that allows coaches to recruit, the problem will always be there and someone will always be complaining.
Good luck to the 2 remaining SOC teams and to the Peebles Indians.
ALL SCHOOLS DO NOT recruit players . It seems like a mess with the same schools around Ohio that do . Legitimate transfers are few and far between . Same schools get around the rules . People have lobbied the state to allow open enrollment so that schools can load up to win titles . It's a lot more evident in the larger Cities than small town . I do not have any other knowledge than what I read on here about the Pirates so I take it as hear sake .When you look at rosters from one year to the next and it's the same Big cities schools that have the advantage . These schools are going to win with the way the rules are now. Maybe let the transfers happen but if you have a certain number or if your open enrollment numbers are high you would be placed in a Super Division . I bet that could be the largest Division in the state. Just MY OPINION .

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Truth&fiction wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:32 pm
Sportsnut wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:54 am Is there a connection between Waginger transfer and Lowery and Truitt "transfers"?
Not like it is the same coach or anything.
All schools recruit players and some do better than others. Until they do away with the open enrollment BS that allows coaches to recruit, the problem will always be there and someone will always be complaining.
Good luck to the 2 remaining SOC teams and to the Peebles Indians.
ALL SCHOOLS DO NOT recruit players . It seems like a mess with the same schools around Ohio that do . Legitimate transfers are few and far between . Same schools get around the rules . People have lobbied the state to allow open enrollment so that schools can load up to win titles . It's a lot more evident in the larger Cities than small town . I do not have any other knowledge than what I read on here about the Pirates so I take it as hear sake .When you look at rosters from one year to the next and it's the same Big cities schools that have the advantage . These schools are going to win with the way the rules are now. Maybe let the transfers happen but if you have a certain number or if your open enrollment numbers are high you would be placed in a Super Division . I bet that could be the largest Division in the state. Just MY OPINION .
This doesn't pertain to the game, come on guys you can do it.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Sorry about that . Good luck to the Pirates .

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

And back to the game. Like I said before. Burg by 3. If you are not there tomorrow night, you are going to miss a heck of a game. It’s going to be a Burg/Oak Hill regional final.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:56 pm And back to the game. Like I said before. Burg by 3. If you are not there tomorrow night, you are going to miss a heck of a game. It’s going to be a Burg/Oak Hill regional final.
Well work schedule keeps me from the game tomorrow night but thinking about making the trip Saturday night if either Burg or OH advances. Good luck to burg tall order but that's why you play the game.

Sportsnut
Waterboy

Post by Sportsnut »

Burg will play hard until they get wore out by HP depth. Piketon had them lagging back at times with their running. HP will run 10+ at you the entire game. IMO it will be close for a quarter and then the wheels fall off. HP by 28. Hope I am wrong but have seen a few games in my years and a short bench will be a problem. Good luck to Wheelersburg and Oak Hill Wednesday. Will be there supporting SEO basketball.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

If my memory is right seems like I went to a maybe regional game with the Portsmouth team and one of the Columbus schools about 4-5 years ago. Portsmouth hung around but here again if my memory serves me that Columbus ran and pressed the whole game run 10-13 players at Portsmouth. a relentless attack and Portsmouth depth wise had no answer. Anyone else remember that game. Kind of a similar setup going in this one sounds like

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth lost to Columbus Eastmoor Academy 49-45 in the 2015 D3 regional final. The Trojans actually had a 31-29 lead going into the 4th quarter, but turnovers really hurt PHS down the stretch. I was very proud to see my Trojans give Eastmoor all they could handle. The Warriors had 3 outstanding guards, and did have some good depth. They did press quite a bit.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Urban wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:29 pm
scott1297 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:17 pm Who cares if teams have transfers! The kids are allowed to go play for whatever school they wish or whatever coach they like. There is nothing wrong with it. Ohsaa is trying to figure out a way to make it more competitive though and to make it harder on the schools that do have a lot of transfers but until they get it right with this competitive balancing this is what we have to deal with so it is what it is and no amount of complaining is going to change it.

Congrats to you. Which step are you on so we can all be supportive. Late night trip home after game. Good luck Pirates.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Didn’t Portsmouth have one of best players I’ve seen in a long time which helped neutralize some of the intense pressure. That was quite a game and does Wheelersburg have that one or two players to step up and break the intense pressure and stamina to do it the whole game. Big question. Speed and endurance

Sportsnut
Waterboy

Post by Sportsnut »

Would like to say they have the stamina and endurance to run for 32 minutes but IMO it would be a lie. The number of ball handlers that they to handle that much pressure is 2 or less JMO also and hope I am wrong once again but won’t bet that I am.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Sometimes when central district teams come into the Convo they struggle shooting from distance, you just can’t simulate the environment in the Convo. No wall behind the basket, the rims on standards and not from the ceiling, the vastness of the arena. This can be a factor, but Burg has to keep HP from gettin to the rim and offensive rebounds, easier said than done. With a shorter bench, Burg will get tired from the constant pressure HD will put on them.

The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

Fact is when you can go get the best players, you do it. Private schools are set up to excel. Public schools can do it to some extent. Bottom line is the HP kids can play. To have a bunch of good players that play as a team is hard to do. Burg will have their hands full but this bunch of boys from Burg dont quit and never say die. Win or lose, the Burg will only get better and learn from the experience.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Another aspect here is foul trouble, HP can give up tons of fouls and won’t faze the game, but on other hand can Wheelersburg stay out foul trouble. With relentless drives to rim and furious rebounding they can’t foul. Opinions on this train of thought. HP will play at rim level and not fouling will be at a premium to stay in game.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Basketball 30 at the Convo with Sweet Lou and PFloyd in the House, can’t get any better.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

When Burg beat Hartley in 1995 in the state semi-finals, I don't think they were very deep then either and held there own against the press in that game. Burg was given no chance in that game as well. Hartley's coach made the reference that they would be playing some "farm" boys from Southern Ohio. Man, did he learn pretty quick those farm boys could play some ball. I guess then this could be the Hickory Huskers against the South Bend Central Bears. Where's Jimmy Chitwood when you need him??

If Burg can beat the press by passing over it and not trying to dribble through it they can play with them. If they can't it could be a long night.

Someone mentioned HP likes to shoot the three ball. This will be there first game at the convo this year so might take them a little bit to get used to the lighting, rim and the seats behind the baskets. If they can't adjust and Burg can turn up the defense they can make this game interesting.

clbbig12
Freshman Team

Post by clbbig12 »

Congrats to the Pirates on their football championship. And best of luck in baseball and track. As for the basketball game sorry to say it but you're totally outmatched.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

rxburgfan wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:33 pm
Urban wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Congrats to you. Which step are you on so we can all be supportive. Late night trip home after game. Good luck Pirates.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Burg grad 85
burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:11 pm When Burg beat Hartley in 1995 in the state semi-finals, I don't think they were very deep then either and held there own against the press in that game. Burg was given no chance in that game as well. Hartley's coach made the reference that they would be playing some "farm" boys from Southern Ohio. Man, did he learn pretty quick those farm boys could play some ball. I guess then this could be the Hickory Huskers against the South Bend Central Bears. Where's Jimmy Chitwood when you need him??

If Burg can beat the press by passing over it and not trying to dribble through it they can play with them. If they can't it could be a long night.

Someone mentioned HP likes to shoot the three ball. This will be there first game at the convo this year so might take them a little bit to get used to the lighting, rim and the seats behind the baskets. If they can't adjust and Burg can turn up the defense they can make this game interesting.
1 major difference then and now then they had barrick now we have Ater doh that’s not good for us

But the way coach Holden was pumped last game if he can get crowd into it like that again wow watch out harvest GO BURG

Return to “Boys Basketball”