Wheelersburg vs harvest prep

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Re: Wheelersburg vs harvest prep

Post by LucasDavenport »

All the best To Coach Ater and The Pirates

Hopefully Southeast Ohio will get behind you guys.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Sportsnut
Waterboy

Post by Sportsnut »

Is there a connection between Waginger transfer and Lowery and Truitt "transfers"?
Not like it is the same coach or anything.
All schools recruit players and some do better than others. Until they do away with the open enrollment BS that allows coaches to recruit, the problem will always be there and someone will always be complaining.
Good luck to the 2 remaining SOC teams and to the Peebles Indians.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Sportsnut wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:54 am Is there a connection between Waginger transfer and Lowery and Truitt "transfers"?
All schools recruit players and some do better than others. Until they do away with the open enrollment BS that allows coaches to recruit, the problem will always be there and someone will always be complaining.

I highly doubt Lowery came for basketball. Truitt for that matter as well. It wasn't like ater had been cutting down a lot of championship nets. The year before, he didn't get his team out of the sectional.

Waginger left because Ironton's coach left after his junior year.

One question for you though. Can you give me a couple of examples of how a coach recruits? Do they call these people? Use camps? I would just like to know since you seem to.

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

wobycat wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:08 am
Sportsnut wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:54 am Is there a connection between Waginger transfer and Lowery and Truitt "transfers"?

I highly doubt Lowery came for basketball. Truitt for that matter as well. It wasn't like ater had been cutting down a lot of championship nets. The year before, he didn't get his team out of the sectional.

One question for you though. Can you give me a couple of examples of how a coach recruits? Do they call these people? Use camps? I would just like to know since you seem to.
This is correct Waginger left after his coach left. How I understand it is the coach was basically forced out and Waginger was very close with him. I'm sure he wanted to go to a team that could compete for a state title since he was so close the year before! He's the last relevant transfer I can think of at Webster in a veryyyyyyyyyyyyy long time. And that was 12 years ago!

Every one in Webster knows Truitt was recruited it wasn't hard to find out. Ater was feeding BS to the parents and the almighty board president Miller is the one behind the scenes doing the most recruiting!

I will say I don't think Lowery was recruited by anyone. I remember when he was at ptown and everyone said he was leaving portsmouth but didn't know where at the time. He probably wanted to play for a competitive football team and Burg is definitely that. Another thing I'll say is I've heard nothing but GOOD things about the football coach Woodward, so I don't think he would ever try to recruit a kid I really don't.

Sportsnut
Waterboy

Post by Sportsnut »

AAU and open gyms are 2 ways. It happens everywhere. Eastern Pike got moved to DIII because they recruited for football. Brought in to many boys. The kids playing at the schools are trying to get their AAU teammates to transfer. Open enrollment is like free agency in baseball. It takes away loyalty to a school or organization.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

The ironic part about Truitt leaving is that it was supposedly to "get noticed by colleges by playing next to Holden." That's the rumors that I heard anyway. It's ironic because he lives in South Webster's district who has Shiloah Blevins, who has received at least one D2 offer this year and interest from several others. Brigham Waginger is from South Webster and coaches Division 1. South Webster is also D4 which has the best route to the State Tournament of ANY division in SE Ohio, something that South Webster is very capable of next year with or without him (they return every player on the roster). State Tournament is absolutely FILLED with college coaches there to recruit talent.

Nonetheless, that's in the past and is a discussion in and of itself. His family thought it was the right decision for them so best of luck to them as they move forward - hopefully they are able to get out of it what they wanted.

As for the game, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Like I've said on this thread already, I'm most looking forward to seeing how Holden competes against this type of competition. Keep in mind Holden is the ONLY PLAYER on the floor tomorrow that has Division 1 offers. He SHOULD be the best player on the floor according to that logic. But, he's going to see speed and athleticism that he doesn't typically see in SE Ohio so it will be interesting to see just how high he can elevate his game.
Last edited by bbjunky81 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Yeah. No pressure at all.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:14 am Yeah. No pressure at all.
I can sense the sarcasm, care to elaborate?

Big time players step up in big time moments. That's when they shine. He shouldn't feel pressure because his team is the underdog here, I'm just curious to see how he can elevate his game against better competition than he sees in SE Ohio.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Who cares about transfers what does it matter ? Or are some people jealous that their schools aren't getting good transfers! If I were still in high school I would want to play for a school like Wheelersburg because of the way the whole community gets behind and supports their students and student athletes. And how the parents are totally engaged in their sons or daughters to help them and support them in whatever they do. I live real close to the Burg little league fields and whenever the weather permits that place is full of mom's and dad's coaching their kids spending all kinds of time with them showing them all the support and guidance they need. Burg is just a great place to live and I am very proud to have graduated from Burg. So anyone who wants to transfer in to Burg do it cause if you don't your missing out !!

Burg grad 85
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

No You’re doing fine.

We have 5 consecutive days of basketball in the Convo ahead of us!!

Jeep/pirate
Waterboy

Post by Jeep/pirate »

HP -17. Whether you like it or not, Lowery and Holden will be the only players on the court able to handle the pressure and I would question Lowery’s capability to do so. Burg can compete an have a chance to win if they turn this into a grind fest and get extremely physical.

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

JEEPNATION wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:19 am Every one in Webster knows Truitt was recruited it wasn't hard to find out. Ater was feeding BS to the parents and the almighty board president Miller is the one behind the scenes doing the most recruiting!

I will say I don't think Lowery was recruited by anyone. I remember when he was at ptown and everyone said he was leaving portsmouth but didn't know where at the time. He probably wanted to play for a competitive football team and Burg is definitely that. Another thing I'll say is I've heard nothing but GOOD things about the football coach Woodward, so I don't think he would ever try to recruit a kid I really don't.
Wasn't Miller heavily involved with Truitts AAU team?

Wheelersburg recruits heavily. They have actively recruited the 2 players from Portsmouth and the player from Ironton. There was also some shady things that went on at the State game.

rsf
Waterboy

Post by rsf »

IT SEEMS AS IF THE BURG JUST CAN'T HANDLE THAT THEY ARE PROBABLY GOING TO BE ELIMINATED WEDNESDAY NIGHT!!! THEY CAN CRY AND WHINE UNTIL THE COW JUMPS OVER THE MOON ABOUT TRANSFERS/RECRUITS, etc. , BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THEY KNOW THEY PROBABLY CAN'T BEAT HARVEST PREP- SO THEY NEED TO MAKE UP A TON OF EXCUSES! SORRY, PIRATES--- DOUBT YOU'LL SEE A STATE TITLE IN BASKETBALL!! PERIOD!!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Any way possible this topic actually turns into a Burg vs HP talk??? Most of this conversation should be saved for face to face talk and maybe offer up some facts instead of saying I know or they are. Let's get back to the game is some are even capable of that. I get it no one knows anything about HP so input given into this game is minimal. I don't care about Pruitt or where he came from I'm curious how does Holden match up with guys his size and bigger?? How does the freshman handle the pressure HP is going to appy?? Get away from the pot stirring, everything that's being talked about should be on another topic thread. You have a complaint about what this school or that school does, so what unless it effects you then why does it matter??

In the Piketon game didn't seem like Burg really used to many players off the bench 1-2 for sure and maybe a 3rd got in, is HP little deeper in terms of quality of depth?? There's having players when related to depth and there's having good depth where you take out 1 player and don't drop off by adding another. My fear is HP falls into the latter category and really and I didn't walk way impressed with Burg against Piketon. Thought the district title was more of a title by default rather than title because of the teams involved. Good Luck to Burg and I wish them the best in this game but man even with what little people have said about HP, coming in ranked #1 I'm afraid Burg's season ends Wednesday night.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

JEEPNATION wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:19 am
wobycat wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:08 am

This is correct Waginger left after his coach left. How I understand it is the coach was basically forced out and Waginger was very close with him. I'm sure he wanted to go to a team that could compete for a state title since he was so close the year before! He's the last relevant transfer I can think of at Webster in a veryyyyyyyyyyyyy long time. And that was 12 years ago!

Every one in Webster knows Truitt was recruited it wasn't hard to find out. Ater was feeding BS to the parents and the almighty board president Miller is the one behind the scenes doing the most recruiting!

Even if Miller did so, that isn't the coach. When I think of recruitment, I think of contact from the coach. If a kid wants to come to burg because a member of the community asks him, then that is a choice not recruitment. Huge difference.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Urban wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:44 am
JEEPNATION wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:19 am Every one in Webster knows Truitt was recruited it wasn't hard to find out. Ater was feeding BS to the parents and the almighty board president Miller is the one behind the scenes doing the most recruiting!

Wasn't Miller heavily involved with Truitts AAU team?

Wheelersburg recruits heavily. They have actively recruited the 2 players from Portsmouth and the player from Ironton. There was also some shady things that went on at the State game.
Either call some one out on this, have proof, or stop talking. You're making yourself sound foolish.

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

wobycat wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm Either call some one out on this, have proof, or stop talking. You're making yourself sound foolish.
Again just facts.

Obviously you are either naive or you need better contacts.

As far as Miller, he is on your school board. So yes he is a part of the school and if he was involved with recruiting that is a big violation.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Thought this thread was to talk about the ballgame ? Who cares if teams have transfers! The kids are allowed to go play for whatever school they wish or whatever coach they like. There is nothing wrong with it. Ohsaa is trying to figure out a way to make it more competitive though and to make it harder on the schools that do have a lot of transfers but until they get it right with this competitive balancing this is what we have to deal with so it is what it is and no amount of complaining is going to change it. Burg is definitely the underdog in this game but so what?making it to the sweet 16 is awesome! And who knows what might happen Wednesday night win or lose it's gonna be a fun game to watch. And I hope the winner goes on to win state so good luck to both teams and GO BURG!

Burg grad 85
Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

I still think HP wins this game by double figures.

Making offers you can't refuse
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Urban wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:12 pm
wobycat wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm Either call some one out on this, have proof, or stop talking. You're making yourself sound foolish.
Again just facts.

Obviously you are either naive or you need better contacts.

As far as Miller, he is on your school board. So yes he is a part of the school and if he was involved with recruiting that is a big violation.
Honestly I think you're missing his point, facts----the truth about events as opposed to interpretation. Your number of post and the time you're getting on here indicate to me you just have an ax to grind is all. Move on to the game or start a thread or a blog whatever you want to do. I don't care one way or the other but to get on here and see you throwing claims and rumors like some 14 yr old school girl is getting ridiculous and quite frankly doing nothing but ruining the belief anyone would have with your word going forward.

Let's move on to the game if that's even possible if it's not a MOD should just delete this thread entirely.

Return to “Boys Basketball”