12-18 Wheelersburg vs Waverly

burgfella69
JV Team

Re: 12-18 Wheelersburg vs Waverly

Post by burgfella69 »

biggdowgg wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:01 am I was at this game and .not going to comment on the technical s or trash talk because most burg people seem to see what the problem is.

As far as Waverly coach saying something to the refs about burg student section ,he was complaining about them grabbing ,kicking etc the basketball after burgs made shots ,I was sitting right behind wavery bench , I did not see it but that is what he was complaining about.

By the way burg does have one of the best student sections I'm.
Student Section has hype all year! Hope they keep the ball rolling

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

TIGER#27 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:04 am Here is the foul on Peyton. As you can see Peyton was on the ground and the Burg player jumped on top of Peyton causing his head to get smashed on the floor and a foul called on Peyton. the only reaction I could see from him, and I was right behind the Waverly Bench was Peyton taking his hand going to his face thinking there was blood. Please do not think I'm saying the Burg player jumped on top of Peyton on purpose, I'm not he was going for the ball, but maybe Peyton mumbled something because of the hit he took and the ref overreacted, but this caused the mess with the Waverly "T's". No other play even got a warning or a anything from Waverly.

From the angle I had, that sequence was initiated by the Waverly player diving after the ball into the Burg player’s legs. No ill intent on either side. Just two players going hard after the ball. But from the angle the ref who called it had, it must have presented itself as foul due to him leaving his feet into the Burg player.

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:18 am
TIGER#27 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:04 am Here is the foul on Peyton. As you can see Peyton was on the ground and the Burg player jumped on top of Peyton causing his head to get smashed on the floor and a foul called on Peyton. the only reaction I could see from him, and I was right behind the Waverly Bench was Peyton taking his hand going to his face thinking there was blood. Please do not think I'm saying the Burg player jumped on top of Peyton on purpose, I'm not he was going for the ball, but maybe Peyton mumbled something because of the hit he took and the ref overreacted, but this caused the mess with the Waverly "T's". No other play even got a warning or a anything from Waverly.

From the angle I had, that sequence was initiated by the Waverly player diving after the ball into the Burg player’s legs. No ill intent on either side. Just two players going hard after the ball. But from the angle the ref who called it had, it must have presented itself as foul due to him leaving his feet into the Burg player.
fair assumption.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I just hope Holden enjoys it now, because very shortly he'll be in for a rude awakening that he'll have to change his attitude. He won't get that opportunity to be the tallest player on the court and giving him an advantage every game. He'll go against players in practice that'll put it down on him only difference is they'll pick him up not just stare at him. It's called respect for the game and the players you go against, you don't have to like them but you should show everyone the respect they deserve, that's just part of being a MAN. He'll figure out quickly he won't get away with 1 single stare in college as he'll either get T'd up or he'll get retaliated against, and that will happen to him at some point this season a kid who isn't worried about it is going to give him a reality check. That's how it should be now honestly, if I'm a ref I go into a Burg game knowing how games are going I'm warning both teams before it even starts. This is how I'm calling it, cross that line I will T you up then I will send you packing if you can't abide by the rules of this sports.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

greygoose wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:22 am I just hope Holden enjoys it now, because very shortly he'll be in for a rude awakening that he'll have to change his attitude. He won't get that opportunity to be the tallest player on the court and giving him an advantage every game. He'll go against players in practice that'll put it down on him only difference is they'll pick him up not just stare at him. It's called respect for the game and the players you go against, you don't have to like them but you should show everyone the respect they deserve, that's just part of being a MAN. He'll figure out quickly he won't get away with 1 single stare in college as he'll either get T'd up or he'll get retaliated against, and that will happen to him at some point this season a kid who isn't worried about it is going to give him a reality check. That's how it should be now honestly, if I'm a ref I go into a Burg game knowing how games are going I'm warning both teams before it even starts. This is how I'm calling it, cross that line I will T you up then I will send you packing if you can't abide by the rules of this sports.
I do agree with everything you said. It's a mentality that needs to be adjusted now otherwise it'll be a rude awakening in college. Or, even worse, a local player decides to take matters into his own hands and that is an event I do not want to see occur.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
langra
Riding the Bench

Post by langra »

I graduated in the 80's and there was as much if not more trash talking then than there is now. The difference now kids how held to a higher standard than when we grew up. Not sure why adults now want to hold kids to a higher standard than what we were held to as kids. I guess it's just the bleeding heart society we live in now. Relax ADULTS, it's just a game!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Sweet photo but did anyone get a warning that got a T?

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

langra wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:27 am I graduated in the 80's and there was as much if not more trash talking then than there is now. The difference now kids how held to a higher standard than when we grew up. Not sure why adults now want to hold kids to a higher standard than what we were held to as kids. I guess it's just the bleeding heart society we live in now. Relax ADULTS, it's just a game!
Again from what I have seen it wasn't the talking during the game, that goes on. It was the taunting after almost every basket and play Burg made. The getting in the face or hovering over a player while he was on the ground, the holding the ball after a made basket, until about the 4-5th time when the refs finally put a stop to it, but that wasn't until Travis said something a 2nd time. Then Burg finally got hit with a "T". It was a great game overall, just need officiated better. And no I'm not saying I could have done better, but I could have prevented stuff that wasn't being prevented.

You control that.
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

langra wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:27 am I graduated in the 80's and there was as much if not more trash talking then than there is now. The difference now kids how held to a higher standard than when we grew up. Not sure why adults now want to hold kids to a higher standard than what we were held to as kids. I guess it's just the bleeding heart society we live in now. Relax ADULTS, it's just a game!
Because if we as adults or coaches want our youth to be better then they need to be held to that standard. If everyone is aloud to just roam free and do whatever then how can we as a society improve ourselves?? Adults up in the stands cussing around are more than likely ppl who grew up in that environment as a kid. We are a product of the society in which we live in, more so now than ever before. Coaches, refs, parents, anyone who effects these kids lives should be striving to make them better human beings, not sitting here saying, "oh it's ok I did that back in the 80s, " smh.

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

wobycat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:31 am
Sweet photo but did anyone get a warning that got a T?
Wobycat, Peyton did not get a warning, Straight to the "T", he got up maybe mumbled something (more from being hurt) and grabbed his face like he was feeling for blood.

You control that.
langra
Riding the Bench

Post by langra »

TIGER#27 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:36 am
Again from what I have seen it wasn't the talking during the game, that goes on. It was the taunting after almost every basket and play Burg made. The getting in the face or hovering over a player while he was on the ground, the holding the ball after a made basket, until about the 4-5th time when the refs finally put a stop to it, but that wasn't until Travis said something a 2nd time. Then Burg finally got hit with a "T". It was a great game overall, just need officiated better. And no I'm not saying I could have done better, but I could have prevented stuff that wasn't being prevented.
Kinda like the bearded kid from Waverly holding the ball and refusing to give it to the Burg player trying to inbound it then throwing it to the official on the other side of the court. :roll:

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Next year we won't be talking about this. Holden is a good kid. He gets a bad rap for being arrogant but there is a lot that gets said to him that is completely uncalled for. I think he's a better player when he plays with that chip on the shoulder, but he deserves the rep he's gotten while on the court, although he's very respectful off of it. I hope college doesn't change that. Kids tend to get a little wild from ages 19-22.

langra
Riding the Bench

Post by langra »

greygoose wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:37 am
Because if we as adults or coaches want our youth to be better then they need to be held to that standard. If everyone is aloud to just roam free and do whatever then how can we as a society improve ourselves?? Adults up in the stands cussing around are more than likely ppl who grew up in that environment as a kid. We are a product of the society in which we live in, more so now than ever before. Coaches, refs, parents, anyone who effects these kids lives should be striving to make them better human beings, not sitting here saying, "oh it's ok I did that back in the 80s, " smh.
I think most of us that grew up in the 80's that played sports have turned ok. SMH!

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

langra wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:43 am
TIGER#27 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:36 am
Kinda like the bearded kid from Waverly holding the ball and refusing to give it to the Burg player trying to inbound it then throwing it to the official on the other side of the court. :roll:
Hey you found the one time. Good call.

You control that.
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

langra wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:15 am
I think most of us that grew up in the 80's that played sports have turned ok. SMH!
LOL, has absolutely nothing to do with your first statement. wow.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

greygoose wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:19 am

He makes it sound like holding kids to a higher standard is a bad thing, lol. ODD

langra
Riding the Bench

Post by langra »

Has everything to do with the first statement. It's just beyond your comprehension. By the way it is spelled ''allowed''. LOL

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

mlittle wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:22 am

He makes it sound like holding kids to a higher standard is a bad thing, lol. ODD
Kind of my point exactly. Parents, coaches, teachers are to mold young men and women not just let them get away with anything they want and do whatever they want.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

langra wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:27 am

Has everything to do with the first statement. It's just beyond your comprehension. By the way it is spelled ''allowed''. LOL
Honestly the more you type the worse it comes across. I'm sorry you are one that simply can't comprehend that kids need discipline, maybe you let yours run around and do whatever I do not. Thanks for the fixing on the spelling, I was really worried about that. Now try and find something else to make yourself feel better. WoW, everyone talks about the 60s and 70s, you rolled right on with it into the 80s didn't ya?? ;)

Shoedaddy
Freshman Team

Post by Shoedaddy »

The Foul on Payton
I thought the foul on Payton was a foul. However in today’s basketball I’m not sure what that is anymore for a loose ball? A few plays earlier, Easton had a kid land on his head but it was a jump ball. So based on lasts nights crew it shouldn’t have been a foul.
His T
I thought it was deserved. While passionate and upset, & a bit dazed from the collision, he said, “That’s crazy”. Not toward the official just said it. A good crew would have warned him and if he said anything else T’ed him up. As his father, I was more disappointed in his reaction and we talked about cooler heads prevailing. Had he done something to show up the refs or an opponent, trust me, everyone would have heard me yell at him.
The student section
I love their enthusiasm and knowledge of the game. Their location and proximity to the court magnifies their every move. Keep them off the floor, make them start in the second row, and allow them to be kids. I’d rather they attend a basketball game then be out running around.

Waverly does need consistent scoring and I’m not sure how they get that?
The best player on the court
Don’t want to say his name because that is unfair to the “kid”. You will be much louder if you say nothing at all. Don’t react to every call. Don’t stare down someone when you make a play. Say nothing, your game is way too good to be overshadowed by anything else.

Return to “Boys Basketball”