Using profanity in coaching

Davis
Waterboy

Re: Using profanity in coaching

Post by Davis »

Well the game is taking a huge hit. The quality of basketball being played is very poor and you can see it on the college level and even bleeding into the nba. Crazy coaches arent the cause of this but on some level the feel goodery methods are failing kids. I played for both old school, in your face, throwing things across the room coaches and more mild tempered coaches who would still get in your face if you werent performing. Respected both and found value in both styles. Something isnt working in the youth programs and up.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I am sure there are knuckleheads out there who go nuts but......

Can anybody give me an example of a really successful coach being canned for this---say right after a District, Regional, or State Championship title?

This complaint usually comes from disgruntled parents or players.

I'll stand corrected if somebody gives me a name that fits the criteria above.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

fortdawg wrote:I am sure there are knuckleheads out there who go nuts but......

Can anybody give me an example of a really successful coach being canned for this---say right after a District, Regional, or State Championship title?

This complaint usually comes from disgruntled parents or players.

I'll stand corrected if somebody gives me a name that fits the criteria above.
Yea, it's funny how a coach can do no wrong as long as they are winning.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I know a couple of good ole coaches that a foot stomp and look was all you would need. Bad basketball comes from kids not spending as much time paying it. It is the same reason why kids cant tackle in football. when was the last time you saw a pick up game of any sport being played for real at a high level around here. it doesn't happen.

H-back
Freshman Team

Post by H-back »

Ask Trimble boys basketball coach what his input is :D

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

If it is not directed at a kid I see no problem in the use of a big boy word to get your point across during practice. To many parents raising sissys these days.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

What if on the same floor a ref would use that language? The coach that would use profanity would probably use it even more. With the excuse they were defending their players.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Profanity is profane. Basketball is almost never profane. Occasionally, atrocious, but rarely profane.

CGHornet55
Freshman Team

Post by CGHornet55 »

Last year, was watching a basketball game at The Nest, and was sitting behind the visitors bench (I will not name the coach nor the program but I think a lot of people could). Every other word out of this coaches mouth was S, F this, get your head out of your (insert Biblical term for donkey). I just thought to myself how kids would respond to that. I don't think kids respond well to being belittled. I, personally, don't use profanity. Not around kids, not around my family, not around my friends. I read a book written by a bunch of coaches, and Grant Teaff said it best, "Profanity is just a way to get around someone's ignorance and stupidity of the English language."

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

Everyone is so soft nowadays. get over it. your kids are going to do/experience a lot worse in life than a simple word.

Cousin H
Waterboy

Post by Cousin H »

Back in 1980 and 1982 we rarely got cussed because we were beating everybody

ChiLoBBall
Waterboy

Post by ChiLoBBall »

This is a touchy subject. A coach should never insult a kid of any age regardless of his/her choice of words. One does not have to use derogatory words to degrade and belittle someone. I believe that the context for which the words are being used should be greatly considered. If a coach tells his/her kids to go out and kick some a** is this considered profane language? My thought is no but I am sure that is only my interpretation. I have slipped up and thrown out a few curse words, we all do, but the context in which I was speaking was never degrading to my players, fans, opponents, or officials as in the example above. As a parent I have no issue with getting on my child, telling him/her to get their head out of their a** (butt is appropriate for younger kids) and back in the game, however to push it to insulting is when I have an issue.

Coaches, lets be honest, how many of us have dropped the word Sh** (even if under our breath) when our team tries something and fails? Is this considered to be profanity?

Thoughts?

0restes
Waterboy

Post by 0restes »

warningtrackpower wrote:
Jimmy Dugan: Evelyn, could you come here, you got a second? Which team do you play for?

Evelyn Gardner: Well, I'm a Peach.

Jimmy Dugan: Well I was just wonderin' why you would throw home when we got a two-run lead. You let the tying run get on second base and we lost the lead because of you. Start using your head. That's the lump that's three feet above your ass.

[Evelyn starts to cry]

Jimmy Dugan: Are you crying? Are you crying? ARE YOU CRYING? There's no crying! THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!

Doris Murphy: Why don't you give her a break, Jimmy...

Jimmy Dugan: Oh, you zip it, Doris! Rogers Hornsby was my manager, and he called me a talking pile of pigshit. And that was when my parents drove all the way down from Michigan to see me play the game. And did I cry?

Evelyn Gardner: No, no, no.

Jimmy Dugan: Yeah! NO. And do you know why?

Evelyn Gardner: No...

Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying!

I think this what we are talking about

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Played for both type of coaches. The one that would scream holler and cuss, and the mister nice guy.Didn't have a problem with either type. I probably had more respect for the one that screamed and cussed.
I would say know a days it's the parents that have the most problem with the screaming and cussing coach.

Return to “Boys Basketball”