Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeast Ohio- Preseason 23-24

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeast Ohio- Preseason 23-24

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks to all who have contributed "team, league" information on this thread - good stuff, great information ... the previews either in the papers around Southern Ohio, or the paper websites will come out in late November usually so we will get rosters, coaches input on those ... I'm sure with Paul Boggs as the sports editor at the Portsmouth Times we will get a good "Team Preview" for the SOC 1,2,3 with some of the OCC teams thrown in as well ... the SHAC will be covered in the Highland County Press's sport editor Stephen Forsha - always does an outstanding job with teams West of Rte 23 ...

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

@wobycat
@93Bulldog
Slackers

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I've been trying to get the Zane Trace TipOff Classic menu of games, contacted them thru FaceBook - was told that they have had some changes in the lineup of teams ... they would let me know when things are finalized ... If anyone has anything please post ...either way I'm thinking that the pfloyd tour will either start on Dec 1 at ZT or head down to Eastern Pike for their get together - Eastern Pike, Western Pike, Piketon and Huntington playing back to back nights ... I definitely want to see Eastern Pike and Western Pike - neither playing each other over the 2 days as they will swap out Piketon and Huntington between them over the 2 nights ...

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Great job as usual Pfloyd. Appreciate all of your hard work and knowledge. I have been told by a couple people to not sleep on waverly. Will be much better than last year. Not sure they can compete with Mindord and Webster but should be competitive on a regular basis. My initial thoughts on your list. Mindie is too low and eastern pike is too high. But the great thing is that it will play itself out on the court. If you make it to eastern pike on December 1st I will be there! Look forward to seeing you a few times in various gyms this year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ukfanatic wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:25 pm Great job as usual Pfloyd. Appreciate all of your hard work and knowledge. I have been told by a couple people to not sleep on waverly. Will be much better than last year. Not sure they can compete with Mindord and Webster but should be competitive on a regular basis. My initial thoughts on your list. Mindie is too low and eastern pike is too high. But the great thing is that it will play itself out on the court. If you make it to eastern pike on December 1st I will be there! Look forward to seeing you a few times in various gyms this year.
... I had the Minford UP higher in some of the 5 working copies of my rankings LOL but dang - as good as Montgomery, Shoemaker, Kayser, Pica ARE losing 6-7 Joe Hannah and the perimeter shooting of Adam Crank ? I kept thinking about ALL that they brought to the court ... the remaining Falcons ARE outstanding AND a year older, stronger, better all around - they are in the Elite 8 and WILL show me how wrong I am LOL ...

I've been told the same about the Waverly squad - adding the Myers twins from Huntington, PG Weston Bloss from Piketon plus the athletes that the Tigers put on the court ... definitely looking to see a big jump from last year ... add Coach Bradley & his staff ... as you said once the football "rust" comes off things ALWAYS gets settled on the court ...

pfloyd will be at Eastern Pike for one of the evenings of action for sure - need to get the early "eyes on" both Eastern and Western and then Piketon/Huntington are 2 teams that I normally wouldn't see during the regular season unless they are at maybe the Coach Young Classic in January at North Adams ... look forward to seeing you Ukfanatic!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

40 days until we tip-off the 23-24 Hoops Regular Season …

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Post by caldwellbasketball »

I expect Marietta to be really good this winter if healthy. Warren and Miami Trace were both really good this summer when we saw them as well.

retiredref
Waterboy

Post by retiredref »

Pfloyd would like to see you at the Battle in the 740 at Shawnee State University on Saturday December 9 and Sunday December 10,2023. Will have you a sit at scorers table for you or on press row on the stage overlooking the benches and floor.
thank you

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:52 pm ... apparently none of the moderators are reading the basketball forum yet - as they haven't made this topic a "sticky" yet ...
Thought the same thing, they're still in "football mode".

Go Blue
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

retiredref wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:39 pm Pfloyd would like to see you at the Battle in the 740 at Shawnee State University on Saturday December 9 and Sunday December 10,2023. Will have you a sit at scorers table for you or on press row on the stage overlooking the benches and floor.
thank you
Thank you retiredref ! pfloyd WILL BE there on Sunday all day for sure - I will be doing game rundowns for all of the games on Sunday ... I would love to have a seat on Press Row! thank you sir ... I will let you know about the Saturday boys games - BOTH days have great matchups - you did great matching up teams for this Inaugural Battle in the 740 ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

The Zane Trace Tip-Off Classic 2023

Friday Dec 1st

Amanda Clearcreek HS vs Westfall (4:30pm)
Zane Trace JV vs Circleville JV (6:00pm)
Zane Trace vs Circleville (8:00pm)

Saturday Dec 2nd

Zane Trace JV Girls vs Paint Valley JV Girls (11am)
Zane Trace Girls vs Paint Valley Girls (1:00pm)
----------------
Bexley HS vs Chillicothe (3:00pm)
New Hope Christian Academy vs Fisher Catholic (5:00 pm)
South Point vs Lancaster (7:00pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inaugural Battle in the 740

@Shawnee State University
Saturday, December 9 & Sunday, December 10, 2023

4 girl’s games and eight boy’s games

Saturday December 9:

Girl’s games:

11:00am ... Bloom Carroll Girls vs Warren Local
12:30pm ... Worthington Christian Girls vs Portsmouth Notre Dame Girls 12:30pm
2:00pm ...Reynoldsburg Girls vs Fairland Girls

Boys Games:

3:30-pm ... Bishop Hartley vs North Adams
5:00pm ... New Albany vs Minford 5pm
6:30pm ... Olentangy Liberty vs Huntington, W VA Highlanders
8:00pm ... Ashland Paul Blazer, Ky vs South Point

Sunday December 10:

Girl’s games:

2:00 pm ... Fort Frye Girls vs Portsmouth Girls

Boys; games:

12:30pm ... Belpre vs South Webster
3:30pm ... Federal Hocking vs Valley
5:00pm ... Harvest Prep vs Wheelersburg
6:30pm ... Unioto vs Fairland

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Citizens Bank 2023 Clash at the Coliseum

Warren High School

Friday December 22

3:15pm ... Fairland Girl vs Parkersburg Girls
5:00pm ... Williamstown Boys vs Parkersburg Boys
6:45 pm ... Warren Girls vs Williamstown Girls
8:30pm ... Warren Boys vs Cambridge Boys

Saturday December 23

10:00 am ... Fort Frye Girls vs Federal Hocking Girls
11:45 am ... Fort Frye Boys vs Trimble Boys
1:30pm ..... Frontier Boys vs Southern Boys
3:15pm ..... John Marshall Boys vs Belpre Boys
5:00 pm .... Caldwell Boys vs Waterford Boys
6:45 pm .... Warren Girls vs Waterford Girls
8:30 pm .... Warren Boys vs Federal Hocking Boys

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hocking Valley Bank Spartan Classic

@ the Alley in Alexander High School

Friday 12/29/2023

6:00 Alexander (GIrls) vs Paint Valley (Girls)
7:30 Trimble vs Paint Valley

Saturday 12/30/2023

12:00 Nelsonville York vs Waterford
1:45 Fairland vs South Webster
3:30 Federal Hocking vs Leesburg-Fairfield
5:15 Alexander vs West Muskingum
7:00 Vincent Warren vs Bloom Carroll

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:52 pm ... apparently none of the moderators are reading the basketball forum yet - as they haven't made this topic a "sticky" yet ...
Just did it. I have been busy with Cross country, just now seeing this.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

This has to be the highest preseason ranking Marietta has had in a long time. Love to see it! The potential is there for this Tigers team to be an Elite 8 team by the end of the season imo and hopefully we are able break our Convo drought come tournament time.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

pioneer19 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:20 pm This has to be the highest preseason ranking Marietta has had in a long time. Love to see it! The potential is there for this Tigers team to be an Elite 8 team by the end of the season imo and hopefully we are able break our Convo drought come tournament time.
I totally agree pioneer19, with the coaching staff (Coach Gardner and Coach Warner) - the discipline, the buy in is there - saw it last season ... all of the elements are there with size, ballhandling, defensive pressure ... definitely looking forward to seeing the Tigers this season in action... MHS plays Warren twice (they split last year) and Vinton County which a preseason Elite 8 team as well ... lots of opportunity to move up - I believe the Tigers play an always good MVL John Glenn squad too ... fun times ...

I posted this on another thread:

Marietta Tigers - Coach Gardner and Coach Warner have brought the intensity, discipline back to the hardwood in Marietta... Coach Austin Gardner's Tigers will make the D2 side of Hoops in Washington County NOT just a Warren Warrior showcase ( MHS split the home and home last season putting it on WHS 67-46 at the Tiger's den in Marietta) ... MHS lost 2 starters off that club (AJ Graham & Isaac Koast) to graduation but return experience, size, and quickness at both ends of the floor :

Returning starters:
Elija Lieras-Kelly ... 5-11 ...sr
Izak Krighton ... 6-5 ... sr
Alex Kendall ... 6-7 ... sr

Seth Britton ... 6-0 ... jr
Landon Koscho ... 5-10 ... jr

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Pfloyd.......I haven't seen any mention of last seasons D2 Regional finalist, Fairfield Union. What's your take on their upcoming season?

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

I'm sure you're chomping at the bit, Pfloyd. Have truly enjoyed your rankings over the years!! I know my Mighty Oaks will be a bottom dweller but up is the only way to go...lol

Wish you plenty of Twizzlers my friend.....safe journeys throughout the SEO

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

I think y'all will like what Coach Arey puts on the court this year. Peebles is not dead.

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

I appreciate all the write ups! I am definitely excited for some round ball. As a fan of the SOC2 - well now 3.... I expect Minford to be the hands down favorite, with Webster right behind them (depending on the relationship Roberts builds with the new coach). Burg will be young, but very athletic with some basketball minded kids. Waverly has some solid sophomore guards last year that got good varsity experience, so I am curious to see how much they have improved. Having watched Eastern and Northwest I know they are SOC2 this year) several times last year, I do not get the hype over them this year, but maybe Im missing something. Perhaps I just saw them on off nights. Lintz is a fantastic player, but I wasn't impressed with anyone around him.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:21 pm
pioneer19 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:20 pm This has to be the highest preseason ranking Marietta has had in a long time. Love to see it! The potential is there for this Tigers team to be an Elite 8 team by the end of the season imo and hopefully we are able break our Convo drought come tournament time.
I totally agree pioneer19, with the coaching staff (Coach Gardner and Coach Warner) - the discipline, the buy in is there - saw it last season ... all of the elements are there with size, ballhandling, defensive pressure ... definitely looking forward to seeing the Tigers this season in action... MHS plays Warren twice (they split last year) and Vinton County which a preseason Elite 8 team as well ... lots of opportunity to move up - I believe the Tigers play an always good MVL John Glenn squad too ... fun times ...

I posted this on another thread:

Marietta Tigers - Coach Gardner and Coach Warner have brought the intensity, discipline back to the hardwood in Marietta... Coach Austin Gardner's Tigers will make the D2 side of Hoops in Washington County NOT just a Warren Warrior showcase ( MHS split the home and home last season putting it on WHS 67-46 at the Tiger's den in Marietta) ... MHS lost 2 starters off that club (AJ Graham & Isaac Koast) to graduation but return experience, size, and quickness at both ends of the floor :

Returning starters:
Elija Lieras-Kelly ... 5-11 ...sr
Izak Krighton ... 6-5 ... sr
Alex Kendall ... 6-7 ... sr

Seth Britton ... 6-0 ... jr
Landon Koscho ... 5-10 ... jr
Coach Gardner (& staff) has done a fantastic job in his short time here, and we are lucky to have him. Our JV team was really solid last year, so it will be interesting to see who steps up this season to replace Koast and Graham, both of which will leave significant holes to fill. Warren, Vinton County, John Glenn, and we also have early season tests against Gallia Academy and D1 Massillon Perry. It's going to be a fun season for sure!

Dragonguy13
Freshman Team

Post by Dragonguy13 »

I’m ready Pfloyd!!

My Dragons of Fairland return 3 starters and an extended bench. Holdouts who didn’t play the last year or 2 have returned and will be the keys to how good this team can be. Dragons will have their tallest roster they’ve had in some time. Throw in the explosiveness and scoring of Allen, Buchanon, and Davis and they’ve got a good recipe for returning back to what’s expected of Fairland Bball. The coaches believe as well as FHS has a very competitive schedule opening with North Adams on 12/2. The OVC is stacked yet again and they’ve got non conference games with NA, Burg, Northridge, Webster, EBrown, Unioto, and Linsley from Wheeling to name some.

Can’t wait for some Bball!! Go Dragons!

Return to “Boys Basketball”