Trimble 51 Federal Hocking 50 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Trimble 51 Federal Hocking 50 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Trimble 51
Federal Hocking 50 a final

... Senior Night at Federal Hocking High School ... on the court a matchup between the 2 undefeated teams in the TVC Hocking - the Trimble Tomcats sporting a 17-0 overall record, the Fed Hock Lancers at 16-3 on the season, winners of 12 straight games since dropping a 38-81 matchup with Fairland at the Alley Classic in December ... EVEN if you knew nothing about either team, YOU KNEW this one was special/important/ a BIG "Arse" game as soon as you pulled into the parking lot ! I came early as usual - parking lot full ... late arrivers surely had to park in Stewart and walk!!! ... walking into the gym - SRO - BEFORE THE JV GAME !!! ... what a great atmosphere ... high school basketball Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line - nothing like it ...

... How could a game live up to the hype? surely one of the teams had to be overrated - had to be the cake schedule of one or both ... this one didn't disappoint , it DID live up to the hype, BOTH TEAMS lived up to their records - BOTH teams are outstanding ... BOTH teams pass the eye test ...

...Federal Hocking with it being Senior Night opened with a senior laden lineup of Lane Smith, newcomer midseason transfer Andre Crockwell, 6-6 big man Tyler Rogers - himself a last season transfer from Unioto, Gauge McVey and Ethan McCune ... while the Tomcats countered with the lineup we've come to know by heart over the last few years - Tucker Dixon, Blake Guffey the Trimble career scoring leader, Tyler Weber, Austin Wisor & Bryce Downs ... when Trimble got the tip and put the ball down into the paint to Guffey, Trimble's "big man at 6-1", vs a FH zone defense AND he was rejected by a Rogers & Smith combination block - as a fan you knew this was going to be a game , a physical game at both ends - a game where fouls could play a part in the outcome IF the game was too big for the officiating crew - it wasn't, the officials "let them play" - did a great job of keeping control but allowing a great game between 2 outstanding teams to unfold ... the block sent a message - "if you come inside life will not be easy, WE are just as physical as you" ... Tyler Rogers came to play for FH! probably the BEST overall game I have seen him play for the Lancers at both ends of the floor ... Rogers led the scoring for FH in the 1st with 4 pts, Andrew Airhart dropped a triple and newcomer Andre Crockwell added a 2 pointer on a drive to the rim ... Trimble adjusted offensively after being rejected in the paint on successive trips ... Blake Guffey didn't become the all time leading scorer for the Tomcats by "not finding another way if he was being shutdown inside" - Guffey stepped outside for a triple on the wing, adding a transition 2 pointer and 1/2 from the line (6pts in the qtr) ... Austin Wisor did what observers come to expect from the shooting guard - drop threes - the senior knocked down 2 treys in the 1st (6pts) ... Tyler Weber/Bryce Downs each added a 2 pointer to round out the Tomcat scoring ... we were off and running! Trimble 16 Federal Hocking 9 after one ... basketball is a game of runs, Federal Hocking opened the 2nd period with a 9-0 run ... with only a minute and a half off the game clock, Lancers had not only dropped 9 straight points on the scoreboard but defensively shutdown the potent Trimble offense... at 6:30 on the board it showed the home team up 18-16 ... game on ... the Lancers were led by sr transfer Andre Crockwell who showed his first rivalry game vs Trimble was NOT too big for the pg/shooting guard ... Crockwell drained 13 points in the 2nd period alone going off for 3 triples, a deuce and 2/2 from the line ... senior running mate Lane Smith added a three ball of his own + a 2 pointer ... Andrew Airhart put up 2 points to go with 1/2 from the charity stripe to close out the Fed Hock 21 point quarter ... most teams would crumble under the FH onslaught in the 2nd qtr. BUT Trimble is not your average team, Trimble is ... well - Trimble ... undefeated for a reason - they have a team that reflects the demeanor of their coach - Howie Caldwell ... Howie HAS seen it all ... Howie doesn't bat an eye at an opposing teams "run" ... when you have a team that believes in their Coach, sees that that there is no panic at the top ... calm restored ... at 2:32 in the period Fed Hock led 24-22 ... at 2:01 Fed Hock 26-22 ... the quarter ended with Trimble on a 6-2 run of its own to start moving the momentum toward the Trimble side ... Guffey continued to "find a way" with 5pts, Tyler Weber drained 2 much needed triples (6pts) while Downs added 1/2 from foul line ... a key MO builder that didn't seem like much BUT as it was right in front of me, I could see it was big ... down 28-30 Federal Hocking side out on the Tomcats side of the court , seconds on the play clock ... a clean inbounds pass to Smith on the right wing, the shooting guard went up for a trey only to have it rejected by a flying Blake Guffey ... Federal Hocking 30 Trimble 28 at the half ... First half observations, Andre Crockwell is a difference maker - athletic, has definitely played at high level in the past, has played on the big stage vs quality competition before - good size at 6-1ish , 3 triples in the half, took the ball to the rim in traffic, can finish at the rim or in the paint - the kids is a player ... BUT when you have a "player" his points take points/game away from others ... in this case looking at the napkin stat sheet 2 key FH players were glaringly missing - both Tariq Cottrill and Caden Chapman - neither dented the scoresheet in the opening half of action ... neither team lit it up from the FT line (Trimble 3/6 and FH 3/7)... halftime - coming out after the intermission break adjustments are usually made ... with good teams the intensity is turned up , with 2 good teams in this case it meant the defense won the 3rd period of play ... Trimble 11-7 ...BIG adjustments on the Trimble side - holding Crockwell to 3 pts in the 3rd which meant that the points had to come from somewhere else - Cottrill? 0 pts, Chapman? 0 , Smith? 0 ... Tyler Rogers 4 points ... for Trimble the usual cast of characters - TEAM - got it done to give the Tomcats the lead ... Guffey with 6 pts, a triple from Austin Wisor 3pts, Tyler Weber a 2 pt bucket, Dixon 1/2 from the line ... Trimble 39 Federal Hocking 37 after 3 ... close game - an understatement , packed house into it - another understatement , both teams playing with an intensity that showed the importance of getting THE W - an absurd understatement ... Federal Hocking won the 4th quarter! 13-12 ... Tariq Cottrill/ Caden Chapman both got in the scoring column with 2 points each ... Tyler Rogers stepped out and hit a big time 3 ball ... Lane Smith with 4 points including 2 FTs which were huge considering the smooth stretch forward was 0/5 before draining the charity stripe freebies ... at 2:41 to play FH led 46-44 ... defense ... 1:43 on the clock FH 46 Trimble 44 ... the Lancers were willing to hold the ball ... Trimble wasn't willing to let them - Guffey a big time steal on the wing ... Guffey putback & 1 ... 47 -46 Tomcats ... the Lancer's got the 2 BIG time FT's from Smith 48-47 Lancers ... Trimble turned the Lancers over 4 times in the 4th period - another strip steal on the perimeter for 2 pts in transition gave the Tomcats the lead 49-48 ... Crockwell with a tough 2 pointer in the paint for FH gave the Lancers the lead 50-49 with 17.8 to play ... Trimble ball, their end of the court ... Guffey already had brought the Tomcats back in the final 2:41 with 8 points in the quarter, the ball had to go to Guffey in the paint - he either scores or gets fouled & goes to the line ... no Guffey as FH knew where the ball had to go ... enter Tyler Weber , Mr. Consistent , the sr. guard/fwd, took the ball off the top of the key, drove the lane, put up a contested shot from outside the 4ft imaginary circle around the rim ... the shot off the backboard for 2 points with 8.1 on the clock ... Trimble 51 Federal Hocking 50 with time on the clock ... coming out of the timeout ... the ball in Andre Crockwells hands ... the sr transfer, put up an off balance, 12 footer that fell short as the buzzer sounded ... Trimble 51 Federal Hocking 50 a classic ... a final ...

... Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Federal Hocking

Scoring ... Andre Crockwell 20, Tyler Rogers 11, Lane Smith 9, Andrew Airhart 6, Tariq Cottrill 2, Caden Chapman 2
3 Pointers ... 6/18 ... Andre Crockwell 3, Lane Smith 1, Andrew Airhart 1,Tyler Rogers 1
FTs ... 8/15
TOs ... 11 (7 in the 2nd half/ 4 in the final qtr)
PnP ... 10 fgs/ 20 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/ 4 points in transition
Pbk ... 4 fgs/ 8 pts off of offensive boards

... great game by the Lancers ... Crockwell is a game changer - brings the obvious scoring, but he isn't afraid of "the moment" he adds "IT" to the Fed Hock team that makes them a REAL threat to make a great run in the post season ... the only other eyes on I had prior to last night was FH's dismal showing vs Fairland ... the team is a night and day difference from THAT game to last night's showing vs Trimble ... Federal Hocking travels TO Trimble next Tuesday night for game 2 of the league home & home - yep, pfloyd will be there for that one too ...

... Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Trimble

Scoring ... Blake Guffey 25, Tyler Weber 12, Austin Wisor 9, Bryce Downs 5, Tucker Dixon 1
3 Pointers ... 6/18 ... Austin Wisor 3, Tyler Weber 2, Blake Guffey 1
FTs ... 8/15
TOs ... 8
PnP ... 11 fgs/ 22 points in the paint
PnT ... 4 fgs/ 8 points in transition
Pbk ... 3 fgs off of offensive boards

... 18-0 ... 1 game lead over Fed Hock in the TVC Hocking race ... it "ain't" a secret I'M a fan of Howie Caldwell - he might just be the BEST courtside coach in SEO ... he gets everything from his kids, but he gives everything to his kids as well , a two way relationship ... he will give them everything they need to win - they in return must execute on the floor ... love watching the fundamental, "old school" , hardnose defense EVERY GAME ... whether it's vs a team at the bottom of the league or vs the cream of the crop like Fed Hock - the effort expected is the same ... last night the Tomcats had to dig deep , the first time they have played Fed Hock with Crockwell in the lineup - had to see what he would bring to TEAM ... undersized, TEAM with role players that play their roles better than anyone out there , add Blake Guffey who IS a GREAT athlete/player/leader on the court/32 minute player (along with everyone else on the Tomcats) - doesn't leave the court ... there's better basketball talents out there BUT there isn't a player that I would choose over Blake Guffey to be on my TEAM ... outstanding ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Trimble 51 Federal Hocking 50 a final

Post by 93Bulldog »

Great write up, Floyd

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:31 pm Great write up, Floyd
... 93dog , when I listened to the Trimble vs Athens broadcast, it sounded like the game between Trimble & Fed Hock set for this coming Tuesday MAY NOT be set in stone? ... let us know when it is a go for this Tuesday or IF it is a go for this Tuesday ... thanks !!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I highly doubt they move it.

We're good

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Post by allOhiotraveler »

This is such an excellent review pFloyd! Thanks a lot of it!
Last edited by allOhiotraveler on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I’m so happy for Tyler to have the impact that he’s had at FH

Sounds like a great game! Wish I could get there to see the one in Glouster

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:14 am I’m so happy for Tyler to have the impact that he’s had at FH

Sounds like a great game! Wish I could get there to see the one in Glouster
... daniC! you would have been proud of him - an excellent game offensively and defensively ... I don't track boards or blocks but he must have had at least 5 blocks and 10 rbs to go with his 12 points (including a triple) on the night ... he played like he SHOULD play with his size ... made the Tomcats earn everything they got in the paint ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Tyler Rogers 11 pts, 8 reb, 3 blocks

Maybe you could keep all the stats if it wasn't for your "chicken scratches" Floyd ... lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:09 am Tyler Rogers 11 pts, 8 reb, 3 blocks

Maybe you could keep all the stats if it wasn't for your "chicken scratches" Floyd ... lol
... it's the "pfloyd napkin stats" for a reason ... writing among the mustard/ketchup stains :lol:

Superman
JV Team

Post by Superman »

How is a mid season transfer allowed to play?

Sports24/7
Freshman Team

Post by Sports24/7 »

Good question. Have heard several stories about the young man but who knows if it's true . He's a really nice player to go along with some other nice players...however...without him FH loses this game by 12-15 points and I thought Fed played well while Trimble didn't play their best game but with 5 Seniors and a great Coach found a way to get it done.Look for a different game in Glouster....one way or the other...

Enforcer
Freshman Team

Post by Enforcer »

If Youre going to the game Tues., You might wanna get there early

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

JV game starts at 6:00pm ... doors open at ???? - will they open at 5pm? a full hour before the JV tipoff???

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

Sports24/7 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:21 pm Good question. Have heard several stories about the young man but who knows if it's true . He's a really nice player to go along with some other nice players...however...without him FH loses this game by 12-15 points and I thought Fed played well while Trimble didn't play their best game but with 5 Seniors and a great Coach found a way to get it done.Look for a different game in Glouster....one way or the other...
Howie will put it on them tonight. I'd look for a 10 to 20 point win. The Cats want to prove they are the best team in the league, SEO, and maybe the state in D4 and that all starts tonight with a dominate performance. Go Cats!

Beckster82
Riding the Bench

Post by Beckster82 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:30 pm JV game starts at 6:00pm ... doors open at ???? - will they open at 5pm? a full hour before the JV tipoff???
I am going to say doors open at 5:00PM

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Image this was 20 minutes before the JV game !!!
Attachments
FE31C7CD-D9AE-4948-BE87-A6B428D683CC.jpeg

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

It’s crowded and hot for sure

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

Where could I find a link for the game? I read the write up on the last game, (thanks Floyd) and I want to see for myself.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Fan of the youth wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:38 pm Where could I find a link for the game? I read the write up on the last game, (thanks Floyd) and I want to see for myself.
There’s like 6 cameras in here it’s probably on their YouTube if they have one 10 minutes to tip

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Timeout 4:58 1st Fed Hock
9-0 Trimble

Return to “Boys Basketball”