Biggest Tournament Upsets

transplant
SE

Re: Biggest Tournament Upsets

Post by transplant »

Omega wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:30 pm The Northwest Mohawks upset a top ten ranked Waverly in the first round of the AA sectionals at Lucasville. The year was possibly 1974 and the final score escapes me.
Annotation 2022-02-08 124607.jpg

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

91raider97bobcat wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:36 pm
Whs95fan wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:31 pm
91raider97bobcat wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:11 pm I would submit the 1996-97 Belpre Golden Eagles as far as the best run. Finishing 8-12 in the regular season before making it to the state tournament that year, finishing 14-13. wins over Chesapeake (62-59) in the regional semi and then Shenandoah (66-41) in the regional final. They then lost to Cleveland VASJ 63-57 in the state semis.
I tried to find who all they beat that postseason and the scores but couldn't find them, are they online somewhere?
I could only find the three games I noted in the OHSAA history. They don't have the full brackets up earlier than 2000.
I'll do some research later on and see what I can locate, because I'm interested in that as well. I'm sure they had a rough road with finishing 8-12. Great run

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:57 pm
Whs95fan wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:31 pm
I tried to find who all they beat that postseason and the scores but couldn't find them, are they online somewhere?
I could only find the three games I noted in the OHSAA history. They don't have the full brackets up earlier than 2000.
I'll do some research later on and see what I can locate, because I'm interested in that as well. I'm sure they had a rough road with finishing 8-12. Great run
Belpre started off the season 2-10, before two starters became eligible, made a huge difference for them.

Tournament run
Sectional Semi-Final - Coal Grove - 50-45
Sectional Final - Trimble - 51-47
District Semi-Final - North Adams - 92-61
District Final - Alexander - 58-40

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Annotation 2022-02-08 131919.jpg
Trying to find the rest of their schedule.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

transplant wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:47 pm
Omega wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:30 pm The Northwest Mohawks upset a top ten ranked Waverly in the first round of the AA sectionals at Lucasville. The year was possibly 1974 and the final score escapes me.

That be it transplant. Great find.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:19 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:57 pm

Belpre started off the season 2-10, before two starters became eligible, made a huge difference for them.

Tournament run
Sectional Semi-Final - Coal Grove - 50-45
Sectional Final - Trimble - 51-47
District Semi-Final - North Adams - 92-61
District Final - Alexander - 58-40
That makes sense then, still a pretty good run to go from 2-10 to a final four. Belpre had quite the run over a 10 year period when Garrett was the coach there.

Go Blue
Seneca
Riding the Bench

Post by Seneca »

Omega wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:52 pm

Even though Coach Hawhee was at the helm for 4 years after that, it ended an era at Waverly.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Also, do you know who the girls coach was at Northwest that year?

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

transplant wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:34 pm

Also, do you know who the girls coach was at Northwest that year?
Not a clue ! Pray tell who?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Norm Persin

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ha….a good thread

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

transplant wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:49 pm Norm Persin
Small world over 47 years.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Very.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Indian Valley South defeating Lucasville Valley in the mid 70s. Twin towers Harold and Mark Merritt , Rusty Yates and company blew a double digit lead in the 4th as the coach went "4 corners" prematurely. Indian Valley South eventually walked away with class A state championship.
Last edited by FIDO on Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

1979 Sectional 1-17 Ironton St. Joe upset top seed Oak Hill 71-63 behind David Gagai’s 33 points
Oak Hill beat a depleted ISJ team 113-25 a year earlier

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

91raider97bobcat wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:11 pm I would submit the 1996-97 Belpre Golden Eagles as far as the best run. Finishing 8-12 in the regular season before making it to the state tournament that year, finishing 14-13. wins over Chesapeake (62-59) in the regional semi and then Shenandoah (66-41) in the regional final. They then lost to Cleveland VASJ 63-57 in the state semis.

Many in Washington County seem to forget how good Belpre was from the mid 90s through the early 2000s. With the players they had, to Joe Garrett, objectively the best coach in Washington County history (one of the best in the SE District too), it was a run no school in Wash. Co. will likely ever match. And their most talented team had the privilege of running into Esteban Weaver in a regional… otherwise, it likely would have been 4 state tournament appearances.

Gator B Long
Freshman Team

Post by Gator B Long »

1992 Undefeated AP #1 Chesapeake Panthers losing to Wheelersburg in the first game of the sectional played at Rock Hill. The best 1-2 punch in Peake history w/ Edwards and Dempsey.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

BobcatQB wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:06 am
danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:25 pm That Southeastern team needed a buzzer beater to upset Zane Trace in the opening round. Then beat 1 seeded Lynchburg Clay in the Sectional Finals, an LC team that returned 3 starters from a Final Four run the year before.

They beat Minford in the District Semis with Ruby going off in that 4th quarter. I think they trailed Oak Hill something like 10-0 after the first quarter before making a big run to be close at the half. They actually won that game by 4, the biggest differential of those 4 tournament wins.

Coach Slaughter would be let go for a “Southeastern guy” after that season, and the Panthers have gone 30-80 since, while Slaughter guided Cambridge to a District Runner-Up last year. I do think Coach Adams (the 2nd SE guy) is a good coach and with time, they’ll be okay. It was just a silly reason to replace Slaughter, especially when it wasn’t immediately for Adams.
There is a reason Slaughter has had 6 jobs in 8 years...he didn't "guide" the team in the right direction at all. He had 6'5, 6'4 and 6'4 last year. Had the same team the year before and lost in the first game. I defended this clown the entire time he was at Cambridge because he knows basketball and scouts well but he is not a person you want as the face of your program. He is an egotistical snake who has no business being responsible for developing young people.
Southeastern not only had a great tourney run that season but 2 of the 5 regular season wins were buzzer beaters against west fall. Nothing came easy for that team. it was a fun ride that the coaches and kids will never forget.

- Love when people think they have a clue how things go down but I have to remind myself to consider the source.
The “first Southeastern”guy replaced 3 starters and won the sectional the following year. 11 wins, sadly the best record the last 7 seasons. Started 2 freshman the following season and team struggled. Hopefully they give the “second Southeastern” guy a few more years to turn things around but I can assure you our goal is to not be just “okay”. Our struggles started long before any of these 3 coaches were at the helm.

Bobcat, I couldn’t find the like button. You all gave him a few more years but man, that was an interesting read.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

With Belpre and Coach Garrett:

The TVC-Ohio was a great basketball conference in the 1990’s. Every team was really solid. Wellston had great teams, Alexander, etc. There was no easy nights in that conference at that time.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

KRS wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:56 pm
BobcatQB wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:06 am
danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:25 pm That Southeastern team needed a buzzer beater to upset Zane Trace in the opening round. Then beat 1 seeded Lynchburg Clay in the Sectional Finals, an LC team that returned 3 starters from a Final Four run the year before.

They beat Minford in the District Semis with Ruby going off in that 4th quarter. I think they trailed Oak Hill something like 10-0 after the first quarter before making a big run to be close at the half. They actually won that game by 4, the biggest differential of those 4 tournament wins.

Coach Slaughter would be let go for a “Southeastern guy” after that season, and the Panthers have gone 30-80 since, while Slaughter guided Cambridge to a District Runner-Up last year. I do think Coach Adams (the 2nd SE guy) is a good coach and with time, they’ll be okay. It was just a silly reason to replace Slaughter, especially when it wasn’t immediately for Adams.
There is a reason Slaughter has had 6 jobs in 8 years...he didn't "guide" the team in the right direction at all. He had 6'5, 6'4 and 6'4 last year. Had the same team the year before and lost in the first game. I defended this clown the entire time he was at Cambridge because he knows basketball and scouts well but he is not a person you want as the face of your program. He is an egotistical snake who has no business being responsible for developing young people.
Southeastern not only had a great tourney run that season but 2 of the 5 regular season wins were buzzer beaters against west fall. Nothing came easy for that team. it was a fun ride that the coaches and kids will never forget.

- Love when people think they have a clue how things go down but I have to remind myself to consider the source.
The “first Southeastern”guy replaced 3 starters and won the sectional the following year. 11 wins, sadly the best record the last 7 seasons. Started 2 freshman the following season and team struggled. Hopefully they give the “second Southeastern” guy a few more years to turn things around but I can assure you our goal is to not be just “okay”. Our struggles started long before any of these 3 coaches were at the helm.

Bobcat, I couldn’t find the like button. You all gave him a few more years but man, that was an interesting read.
Then you'll like this..

17/18 Season - 7-16 (0-3 vs rival) Most athletic team he had and instead of using it, he plays a slow 1/2 court offense and tried to play inside. Lost first game of tourney. 8 Seniors, 3 of which were starters. He played several of those smaller seniors (non-starters) in key situations late in games and it cost them at least 3 wins. They had no business being on the floor at all let alone late in games.

18/19 Season - 13-11 (0-2 vs rival) Still very athletic yet still plays 1/2 court game with no size whatsoever..post player was 5'10". 2 starters back from previous year. Lost 2nd game of tourney.

19/20 Season - 10-14 (0-2 vs rival) Plenty of athletes but has ridiculous size advantage (6'4, 6'4, 6'5) in most games but doesn't use it. Loses first game in tourney on buzzer beater. Finally has a reason to play 1/2 court game with big guys and doesn't do it enough.

20/21 Season - 10-10 (0-3 vs rival)..made to District Finals (won 3 games against 2 seed, 5 seed, 3 seed, lost to 1 seed...Cambridge was 9 seed). Same team as previous year with 3 big guys back. Team shut down 3 times because of covid so record would have been better. 4 starters back. Son is a Freshman on team and has a good season, basically only shooting 3's. However, specific plays designed for son when you have 4 starters returning, three of which are at least 6'4". Not a good situation.

So overall record in 4 years is 40-51 including 0-10 against rival Meadowbrook. Played in ECOL which is tough as heck (Dover, New Phila, Warren, Meadowbrook)..ridiculous schedule so you give him a little benefit of the doubt here. Really only one "true" basketball player (6'5" and went to Wittenberg to play) but plenty of good overall athletes that could play each year. Several of the 'athletes' that weren't really basketball players are listed in the Top 10 in CHS record books in several categories (22 rebounds in a game, 10 assists in a game, single season/career assists (multiple players), season/career FG%, season/career FT%, blocks (multiple players), career rebounds, 3 PT% season/career (multiple players). Never used the talent correctly.

That being said, couldn't keep assistant coaches. Had a totally different staff each year, mainly because he was a bully and nobody wanted to work with him. He didn't want input from them because he wanted to be 100% in control of everything. Made inappropriate comments to players and students, fought with parents, allegedly stole money and property...not to mention personal live family issues. Was unruly and difficult to work with. Unapproachable and egotistical. Came into town with guns blazing telling everyone how great he was and how he was going to turn things around. Didn't take advice from local basketball people and ridiculed those who tried to help. Tried to use his "status" to influence others into changing good things that had been in place for many years.

All 100% facts. The "alleged" theft of money and property...The facts relating to that are that the program "didn't make money" at the concessions and the bank account was empty when he left. Also, his big screen tv broke at home so he took the one in the locker room to his house, supposedly to "watch game film". Call it what you want.

Return to “Boys Basketball”