Trimble 70 Waterford 59 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Trimble 70 Waterford 59 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Trimble 70
Waterford 59 a final

... entering this contest both teams were undefeated, Waterford at 4-0 , Trimble 2-0 on the young season ... talking to 93bulldog prior to the game we both were in agreement that WE didn't know a lot about what the Wildcats of Coach Simms was bringing to the table this season - last season Coach Simms picked up his 200th W, but WHS was an under .500 ballclub in the Covid Season of 20-21 (7-11) ... WE also agreed that Waterford has athletes, the football team has athletes which imo leads those kids doing a lot for basketball as well (pulling a picture of the Trimble football team & basketball roster to the screen as an example) ... just watching the Wildcats warm up I could see that WHS can and does shoot the 3 ball - and shot it well "from their spots" ... a look at the Trimble end of the floor during warmups - what stood out was their big man (6-1) inside Bryce Downs was in street clothes - splint on his wrist and hand ... out for 2/3 more weeks ... on a team that isn't deep off the bench losing a starter is huge ...

... what do you do when you're shorthanded due to injury? undersized to begin with, to maximize TEAM - the team left on the floor "ain't" a bunch of scrubs - Tucker Dixon, Tyler Weber, Austin Wisor, Blake Guffey ... who would normally come in off the bench - sophomore Cole Wright now a starter and senior guard William Freeborn ... this group minus Wright add in Downs went 16-3 in the regular season a year ago ... What do you do ? speed up the game, put the opposition under 94 feet of pressure for 32 minutes - Trimble basketball ... the first quarter was ALL Tomcats as the pressure game forced Waterford into 10 turnovers ... at one point in the 1st the Trimble pressure had 4 straight transition buckets off of turnovers ... Austin Wisor led the assault with 8 pts, matched by THE MAN in the paint Blake Guffey 8 points, a 3 ball from Tyler Weber and a pair of 2 point buckets from Tucker Dixon and Cole Wright ... the pressure D from THS kept the ball out of the Wildcats hands offensively as Gabie Pochak led the way with 5 points / a triple and 2 FTs ... Jacob Huffman added 4 points and a 3 pointer from sophomore Jarrett Armstrong rounded out the Wildcat scoring ... Trimble 23 Waterford 12 end of 1 ... the Trimble pressure kept the ball out of the Wildcats end of the floor on offense in the first - which in turn kept WHS from shooting the 3 ball at least limiting the attempts (WHS 2/2 from behind the arc in the 1st) ... Waterford a 4-0 team, they HAVE weapons - Pochak/Armstrong showed their potential in the 1st ... in the 2nd ALL of the Waterford weaponry dented the napkin stat sheet as the Wildcats opened the 2nd period with a 9-0 run led by senior Holden Dailey who tossed in a 3 ball, Armstrong added 4 points in the WHS surge and 2 ball from Grant McCutcheon forced a Howie Caldwell timeout at 6:34 in the 2nd 23-21 Trimble ... for the rest of the quarter the game was back and forth - trading buckets with Dailey dropping 2 more treys and a deuce (11 pts in the qtr) Jacob Huffman adding an old fashion bucket & 1 as WHS put up 20 markers in the period to make it game ... for Trimble they seemed to fall in love with the perimeter shot as the Tomcats went 2/6 from downtown in the qtr and 3/11 in the opening half ... Freeborn/Wisor adding a triple each in the 2nd, Weber & Guffey adding a pair of 2 pointers ... Trimble 35 Waterford 32 at intermission ... even though Waterford appeared to be "IN" the game, it never really felt like they were in the game - it felt like with the constant full court pressure from Trimble - the Tomcats appeared to control the game - defining control as keeping WHS at arms length on the scoreboard anywhere from 3-9 points ... Waterford in the 3rd was led by Pochak's 7 pts , a 3 pointer from Alec Johnson off the bench, 2 points from Dailey and McCutcheon ... for Trimble the man, the beast in the middle Blake Guffey took over in the paint as the 6-1 senior dropped 10 points at the rim, with support from Freeborn (3 pts)/Weber with 2/ Austin Wisor's 2nd 3 pointer of the game ... Trimble 53 Waterford 46 after 3 ... the 4th was won by Trimble 17-13 ... 5:16 in the period had the Tomcats up 57-49 ... the closest Waterford could get was at the 2:34 mark a 62-55 Trimble ... the Tomcats closed it out with 4/4 from the FT line from Austin Wisor ... Cole Wright the sophomore added 4 points on the blocks, 2 points each from Weber/Guffey/Dixon/Freeborn - all at the rim as Waterford pressured the perimeter leaving everybody open coming off the blocks at the rim ... Trimble 70 Waterford 59 a final ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Waterford

Scoring ... Holden Dailey 17, Gabie Pochak 14,Jarrett Armstrong 12, Jacob Huffman 7, Grant McCutcheon 6, Alec Johnson 3
3 Pointers ... 7/20 ... Holden Dailey 3, Jarrett Armstrong 2, Gabie Pochak 1, Alec Johnson 1
FTs ... 14/17
TOs ... 22/14 in the first half
PnP ... 11 fgs/ 22 points in the paint
PnT ... 6 fgs/ 12 points in transition
Pbk ... 0 points off of offensive boards

... Waterford is a solid ballclub as far as putting up points ... 3 nice scorers in Holden Dailey/Gabie Pochak/Jarrett Armstrong ... the Wildcats seemed to be good spot up shooters on the perimeter ... problems seemed to be when they were moved off their spots & taking care of the ball ... WHS will win a bunch of games this season ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Trimble

Scoring ... Blake Guffey 22, Austin Wisor 18, Tyler Weber 11, William Freeborn 8, Cole Wright 7, Tucker Dixon 4
3 Pointers ... 4/18 ... Austin Wisor 2, Tyler Weber 1, William Freeborn 1
FTs ... 9/14
TOs ... 10
PnP ... 23 fgs/ 46 points in the paint
PnT ... 11 fgs/22 points out of the transition game
Pbk ... 3 fgs/ 6 points off of offensive boards

... I always enjoy my trips to Trimble, watching Coach Howie Caldwell's Tomcats ... I smile the whole game watching the physical defense, the fundamental passes with the bounce pass mandatory as part of the passing game ... 94 ft of pressure for 32 minutes ... get after it on the boards, beat your player to the ball ... the team from last night gets nothing but better when Bryce Downs returns ... in the mean time - Cole Wright is learning to make his presence felt at both ends as he gets touches in the flow of the half court offense on the backside when Guffey gets touches on the block - last night he did a nice job finishing off on the blocks ... going to be a tough matchup for Trimble vs Caldwell this Saturday BUT one thing is for sure Coach Caldwell will have his troops ready to play with whoever suits up.
Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Trimble 70 Waterford 59 a final

Post by Ironman92 »

Refreshing to see a team be able to shoot free throws

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Thanks for all you do with the write up of games Pfloyd. I always enjoying write ups of any game, as sad as it is half the games played anymore don't even get a write up in the paper. Looking forward to take the last 3 games of the Alley Classic coming up Saturday.

Go Blue
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Whs95fan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:13 pm Thanks for all you do with the write up of games Pfloyd. I always enjoying write ups of any game, as sad as it is half the games played anymore don't even get a write up in the paper. Looking forward to take the last 3 games of the Alley Classic coming up Saturday.
... I try Whs95fan ! they aren't a thing of beauty by any means LOL but I try hard to make sure the players get the recognition they deserve for the time, effort they put in on the court ... lots and lots of outstanding players on and off the courts of SEO ... names, napkin stats, get eyes on the best teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line - post about them so the folks that follow SEOPs know about the teams, players and coaches in SEO ...

... I don't even know who or how many read SEOPS anymore - we used to have many coaches/players reading the threads - not so sure anymore ... Tuesday night it was good to get to chat with Coach Howie Caldwell of Trimble - Howie made his way up to the Cheap Seats , also in the nosebleed cheap seats was Coach Jeff Caldwell of Southern doing some scouting for the Tornadoes matchup Friday night vs Waterford - Coach Caldwell stopped for a chat as well ... heard the people sitting behind me asking each other - "Who IS this guy?" LOL ...

... Saturday will be a great day of hoops! - looking forward to touching bases with the coaches/coaching staffs for Federal Hocking, Fairland, Waverly, Trimble, Warren, Alexander - I told Coach Howie Caldwell that I definitely missed the hoops last year, but I also missed talking with the coaches from around SEO - they are ALL as good of people as they are coaches , haven't found one who isn't a class act ... Saturday Coach Justus (FH), Coach Speed of FHS and his entire staff, Coach Robertson (Waverly) & his staff, Howie (Trimble), Coach Maddox & his staff (Warren), and Coach Skinner (Alex) - I've known some these guys as coaches , others as players in hs ( Coach Salyers/Coach Fuller for Fairland) and now as coaches ...Coach Maddox and his staff I've known for 20+ years, Coach Skinner from his days as coach at Athens now Alexander ... I figure I'm doing something right as they always are pleased to see pfloyd in the cheap seats for their games and are more than willing to say hello ... these folks are the best at what they do on and off the court ...

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

pfloyd your are a icon. Thank you for what you do. Your Mr. Basketball to all of us.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Prime Time wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:38 am pfloyd your are a icon. Thank you for what you do. Your Mr. Basketball to all of us.
LOL, I don't know about that Prime Time ... if "icon" means "old" then "yes" I would be an icon :lol: ... I just try to support boys high school basketball the only way I know how - through watching games , telling/posting to others what I see ... supporting the players, coaches, schools, officials - that's all I do ... but thank you for the kind words ...

SG REBEL

Post by SG REBEL »

You know so here’s the thing:
You take these two schools you got Waterford and you got Trimble. Easy to say these schools can outlast one another. Now if you look at the rest of the TVC not so much. But these two can really dribble pass and shoot. No doubts out that I saw it with my own eyes that they got everything it takes to make something work. Well if you look across the rest of the league and honestly D4 southwest there’s only a few teams who could maybe come close to doing it the way these boys can do it. When I look at South Gallia I see potential to be that team. Now maybe they are maybe not but they could do it on the right night if Kent gets these boys playing right. You take Waterford and you take South Gallia and maybe you see a good ball game. Or you could just be there on an off night and either team in all reality could have a bad night. Now you take Trimble and you take South Gallia and you probably really got something in that ball game. I mean for starters you take Howie vs Kent and you just sit there and you think wow how can we get so lucky to watch two coaches of this caliber with such great ball clubs that you get to see in the same gym on the same night. Now another side to that matchup is the way that South Gallia is able to match up against Trimble. You take some of these boys and they can flat out play and shoot that ball. On tbe right night, and I mean the right night you might see something special happen especially if it’s in Mercerville. That would be a sight. Now as for rest of the league I just can’t see it happening but you give Kent the opportunity and he’s got those boys playing good you never know you never even know. So we’ll see how this plays out but very interesting how Trimble was able o come out on top here and just show how one or both of these teams just might stack up against the Rebels and just how that game and or those games are gonna shake out. The Hocking sure is interesting his year especially with this three way race forming.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

SG REBEL wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:41 pm You know so here’s the thing:
You take these two schools you got Waterford and you got Trimble. Easy to say these schools can outlast one another. Now if you look at the rest of the TVC not so much. But these two can really dribble pass and shoot. No doubts out that I saw it with my own eyes that they got everything it takes to make something work. Well if you look across the rest of the league and honestly D4 southwest there’s only a few teams who could maybe come close to doing it the way these boys can do it. When I look at South Gallia I see potential to be that team. Now maybe they are maybe not but they could do it on the right night if Kent gets these boys playing right. You take Waterford and you take South Gallia and maybe you see a good ball game. Or you could just be there on an off night and either team in all reality could have a bad night. Now you take Trimble and you take South Gallia and you probably really got something in that ball game. I mean for starters you take Howie vs Kent and you just sit there and you think wow how can we get so lucky to watch two coaches of this caliber with such great ball clubs that you get to see in the same gym on the same night. Now another side to that matchup is the way that South Gallia is able to match up against Trimble. You take some of these boys and they can flat out play and shoot that ball. On tbe right night, and I mean the right night you might see something special happen especially if it’s in Mercerville. That would be a sight. Now as for rest of the league I just can’t see it happening but you give Kent the opportunity and he’s got those boys playing good you never know you never even know. So we’ll see how this plays out but very interesting how Trimble was able o come out on top here and just show how one or both of these teams just might stack up against the Rebels and just how that game and or those games are gonna shake out. The Hocking sure is interesting his year especially with this three way race forming.
Just to point something out, Federal Hocking beat Waterford the other night. The Lancers are undefeated in the Hocking Division and are a pretty solid basketball team.

SG REBEL

Post by SG REBEL »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:51 am
Just to point something out, Federal Hocking beat Waterford the other night. The Lancers are undefeated in the Hocking Division and are a pretty solid basketball team.
Ya know, I watched that team play and just not that impressed if I’m being honest with you. I look at Waterford and then I look at Fed and I just don’t see the ability on that team. You take one bad night for Waterford and people from athens are always gonna make a big deal out of it. I will say that with this being SG last year in the dreadful Hocking that we would love to tak home tbe crown. You look at Fed and they’re just pretty young and dumb. Athletic? Maybe. But you have to look at the big picture if you want to see who the better teams are I tbe league. I mean you look at Eastern and you just see one of if not the worst high school basketball teams I have ever witnessed and this is going on for two years now. Sad to see a program in that kind of shape. So you know it could always be worse so count your blessings 93, before they are counting you

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I've done two Waterford games, I've done two Fed games, I did the Fed vs Waterford head to head matchup. Not sure what more I can see of these two teams at this juncture of the season. Waterford played really well the night in Stewart, Armstrong & Dailey were solid, but it wasnt enough, Fed was just a better, deeper, basketball team. Good luck tonight & dont take FH lightly.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

SG REBEL wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:04 am
93Bulldog wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:51 am
Ya know, I watched that team play and just not that impressed if I’m being honest with you. I look at Waterford and then I look at Fed and I just don’t see the ability on that team. You take one bad night for Waterford and people from athens are always gonna make a big deal out of it. I will say that with this being SG last year in the dreadful Hocking that we would love to tak home tbe crown. You look at Fed and they’re just pretty young and dumb. Athletic? Maybe. But you have to look at the big picture if you want to see who the better teams are I tbe league. I mean you look at Eastern and you just see one of if not the worst high school basketball teams I have ever witnessed and this is going on for two years now. Sad to see a program in that kind of shape. So you know it could always be worse so count your blessings 93, before they are counting you
“Pretty young and dumb” wins 70-45

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Not sure where a young & dumb analogy came from. Rogers is a senior, Lane Smith is a senior, Chapman I think is a senior, maybe a junior. And sophomores Cottrill & Airhart both played varsity as freshmen last year cause they were that good. Fairly experienced team really.

Return to “Boys Basketball”