D3 Sweet 16- Wheelersburg (20-1) vs Worthington Christian (24-1)

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: D3 Sweet 16- Wheelersburg (20-1) vs Worthington Christian (24-1)

Post by formerfcfan »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:41 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:13 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:22 am Also, anyone know how WC was able to play at home tonight when all district finals were to be played at a neutral site. Got this from a friend on FB they played at home.
Central district teams (higher seed) played at home all the way through the district.

East District did as well I believe.

SE District went neutral floor for district championship.

Maybe couldn't find host schools in those districts.
The Central District conducted ten (10) different district tournaments these last couple of weeks (4 D1, 2 D2, 2 D3, 2 D4.) Ohio Dominican, to my understanding, is not allowing outside groups to use their facilities -- so that zapped the site that normally held D1, D3 and D4 district finals up here. District semi-finals normally would be held at a neutral site TBD, but as you can imagine with everything going on it would have been chaotic trying to pencil in 20 sites. So this year they just kept it simple and highest seed hosts out. Worked out decently well.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:46 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:41 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:13 am

Central district teams (higher seed) played at home all the way through the district.

East District did as well I believe.

SE District went neutral floor for district championship.

Maybe couldn't find host schools in those districts.
The Central District conducted ten (10) different district tournaments these last couple of weeks (4 D1, 2 D2, 2 D3, 2 D4.) Ohio Dominican, to my understanding, is not allowing outside groups to use their facilities -- so that zapped the site that normally held D1, D3 and D4 district finals up here. District semi-finals normally would be held at a neutral site TBD, but as you can imagine with everything going on it would have been chaotic trying to pencil in 20 sites. So this year they just kept it simple and highest seed hosts out. Worked out decently well.

About what I figured. It was good that the Burg game was played at bigger venue than Burg. Allowed for quite a few more fans that both sides were very loud at times.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Size advantage obviously goes to WC, but if Truitt keeps his momentum and Miller scores some more along with the same help they had last night, I look for a good game... Burg by 3

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Matt needs to start shooting that 8 foot jumper in the lane like he did all year. Not seen that in the last two games.

Burg just needs to play there game and I’m guessing not get in a run n gun style game with them. Work the ball around and look for the open man.

sykesb2
Freshman Team

Post by sykesb2 »

WC is very tall and athletic. Puts a lot of pressure on the ball and plays tough defense. #22 is good for a couple dunks a game. Adena was tied with them with about a minute to go. Final score was 46-40 I believe. Going to have to shoot the 3 well against them and play very good defense. That’s the only way we stayed in the game with them.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Burg will have room to score in this game. They pressure the ball full court most of the game but if you get past the pressure you can find space to get food looks. Just have to convert

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I’d guess if WC is allowed to play physical with the size they have this will get ugly and we know how the officiating is in the regionals.

I brought that topic up on the girls forum. Why are the teams allowed to beat each other to death with no calls when they weren’t all year. You take a team that is not physical at all and it takes them right out of there game. Not fair to them. Game needs to be called the same all year.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:13 pm I’d guess if WC is allowed to play physical with the size they have this will get ugly and we know how the officiating is in the regionals.

I brought that topic up on the girls forum. Why are the teams allowed to beat each other to death with no calls when they weren’t all year. You take a team that is not physical at all and it takes them right out of there game. Not fair to them. Game needs to be called the same all year.
WC isn’t any more physical than Burg. Burg has the bodies to bank with them

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:13 pm I’d guess if WC is allowed to play physical with the size they have this will get ugly and we know how the officiating is in the regionals.

Agree with this. Thought the same thing with all the contact out front in the West game. What was a foul before is considered "letting them play"

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Good luck BURG, play hard as possible and see how the chips fall

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

mlittle wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:21 pm

And, I'm pretty sure also that the biggest kid WC had in that game vs Unioto (the tall Haitian youngster) can't play the rest of the season anyways.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:29 am
mlittle wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:21 pm

And, I'm pretty sure also that the biggest kid WC had in that game vs Unioto (the tall Haitian youngster) can't play the rest of the season anyways.
He didn’t play a ton in that game it seemed but killed us when he was in there

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

^Yeah, IDK what the deal is with him but he would be really useful for them off the bench.
bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:02 pm For those who haven’t been able to see Worthington Christian, they have a young man by the name of DJ Moore who is very fun to watch. Committed to D1 Liberty.
The cynic in me thinks he committed too early (committed as a sophomore), because I think he could play in the A-10 or maybe a DePaul/St. John's. But on the other hand, if he really loves the idea of going to Liberty (attractive for some kids) then that is pretty sweet he got to commit as a soph.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:43 am ^Yeah, IDK what the deal is with him but he would be really useful for them off the bench.
bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:02 pm For those who haven’t been able to see Worthington Christian, they have a young man by the name of DJ Moore who is very fun to watch. Committed to D1 Liberty.
The cynic in me thinks he committed too early (committed as a sophomore), because I think he could play in the A-10 or maybe a DePaul/St. John's. But on the other hand, if he really loves the idea of going to Liberty (attractive for some kids) then that is pretty sweet he got to commit as a soph.
I think we held him to 6 points that night so we didn’t get to see much but I watched film on him before that and even tho he didn’t light us up you can just tell by the way he moves with the ball and how athletic he is that he’s an absolute handful most nights

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:34 am
EasternDspy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:27 am Worthington Christian

Looks like a small college team. Have all of these kids been in there system from day one?
Worthington Christian has a competitive balance number of 43 (that would be 6 players changing to WC after 7th grade and one leaving and coming back). Their enrollments would make them a borderline DIII/large DIV team but the CB numbers push them up to a solid DIII. Harvest Prep is higher with 63 CB. The highest CB in the division is 70. Wheelersburg has a CB of 22.

(Tier 0=0, Tier 1=1, Tier 2=7 (in most sports, 3 in football). These numbers are based on last season's rosters and include 1) anyone who played in a varsity game or 2) anyone on the tournament roster or in football anyone on any roster from freshmen to Varsity.)

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

drrabbit wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:09 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:34 am
EasternDspy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:27 am Worthington Christian

Looks like a small college team. Have all of these kids been in there system from day one?
Worthington Christian has a competitive balance number of 43 (that would be 6 players changing to WC after 7th grade and one leaving and coming back). Their enrollments would make them a borderline DIII/large DIV team but the CB numbers push them up to a solid DIII. Harvest Prep is higher with 63 CB. The highest CB in the division is 70. Wheelersburg has a CB of 22.

(Tier 0=0, Tier 1=1, Tier 2=7 (in most sports, 3 in football). These numbers are based on last season's rosters and include 1) anyone who played in a varsity game or 2) anyone on the tournament roster or in football anyone on any roster from freshmen to Varsity.)

Thanks doc!!

Looks like Harvest Prep beat them in the District final last year so a little bit of revenge this year for them.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Coach Ater and the regionals go to together like peas and carrots.
Burg 57
WC 50

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Good Luck Pirates!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

A couple years ago at the Convo against Harvest Prep, even though the Burg didn't win the game, they showed me enough that I won't be picking against them this time even though Worthington Christian might be favored.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:29 pm A couple years ago at the Convo against Harvest Prep, even though the Burg didn't win the game, they showed me enough that I won't be picking against them this time even though Worthington Christian might be favored.
Burg will win a state title at some point in this decade.(in basketball)

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54

Return to “Boys Basketball”