Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #10

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #10

Post by Treyman3 »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:05 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:14 pm ... is there a window as to WHEN seedings by individual coaches can be sent in? or are the seedings done online, during a virtual meeting of all of the D4 coaches, then all of the D3's, then all of the D2's ??? I liked the seeding meetings that were done in person in Jackson year in year out ...
Between Thursday (at 12:00 am) and Friday (at 11:59pm) is when coaches can vote.

Still the other way this year. Maybe that will change in the future, but not for this year.
The window is open right now for coaches to submit Bios. The window to submit Bio's closes Wednesday at midnight. So most teams will wait until after their Tuesday games to submit. Teams are permitted to submit Bio's now and edit later if they wish. Of course many will submit their records then if they lose, not update profile. I wish they would close this loophole.
as danicalifornia said, coaches can vote anytime between Wednesday at midnight and Friday at midnight. Most coaches I assume will wait until after Friday games to vote, especially if there are some close decisions to make.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:14 pm ... is there a window as to WHEN seedings by individual coaches can be sent in? or are the seedings done online, during a virtual meeting of all of the D4 coaches, then all of the D3's, then all of the D2's ??? I liked the seeding meetings that were done in person in Jackson year in year out ...
Between Thursday (at 12:00 am) and Friday (at 11:59pm) is when coaches can vote.

Still the other way this year. Maybe that will change in the future, but not for this year.
daniC, do most coaches get it done and over with early or will they wait until the Friday night games are in the books before doing their seedings ? are teams given a set number of points for #1, the #2 etc. how is that process done? are coaches aware of the strength of schedules of teams - take that into account when voting? or do they just look at records ? trying to get a handle on what goes into the seeding process ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Treyman3 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:16 am

The window is open right now for coaches to submit Bios. The window to submit Bio's closes Wednesday at midnight. So most teams will wait until after their Tuesday games to submit. Teams are permitted to submit Bio's now and edit later if they wish. Of course many will submit their records then if they lose, not update profile. I wish they would close this loophole.
as danicalifornia said, coaches can vote anytime between Wednesday at midnight and Friday at midnight. Most coaches I assume will wait until after Friday games to vote, especially if there are some close decisions to make.
Thanks for that info.

Coaches will find whatever they can to possibly assist their hope for matchup/path

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Do league coaches correspond before seeding? or do they go solo?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:42 am

daniC, do most coaches get it done and over with early or will they wait until the Friday night games are in the books before doing their seedings ? are teams given a set number of points for #1, the #2 etc. how is that process done? are coaches aware of the strength of schedules of teams - take that into account when voting? or do they just look at records ? trying to get a handle on what goes into the seeding process ...
I can only say what we do, but we tend to discuss once the bios are in and then submit our seedings. But, since it is open until midnight on Friday, we use the Friday results to make any adjustments that could be made after those games.

With this year having 17 teams, the 1 seed gets 17 points, 2 gets 16, and so on until the 17 seed gets 1 point. The highest and lowest seeds get dropped to eliminate an obvious outlier.

Teams are then seeded by the number of points they have...but I don’t remember what happened if there is a tie.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:01 am Do league coaches correspond before seeding? or do they go solo?
I believe so, which is partially how South Webster always tends to get the shaft in D4.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:05 am
pfloyd wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:01 am Do league coaches correspond before seeding? or do they go solo?
I believe so, which is partially how South Webster always tends to get the shaft in D4.
.. gotcha ...

daniC , IF you as a coach could have "pre-seeding" info that would assist in the seeding process - what exactly would you - as a coach or team staff - want to assist in the seeding process? what do you not have that you would like to have ? ...or maybe coaches DO HAVE all they need ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:13 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:03 pm
smurray wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:55 pm

He has them at 14-1
... IF you could see the pfloyd "war" room doing the rankings every Saturday late night and early Sunday morning you would be patting me on the back and asking " How does he keep track of all of this STUFF?" ... my hoops study is so full of game wrap-ups, napkin stat sheets, the first 9+ weeks of game results and past ranking sheets - it amazes ME that anything gets from Point A to Point B ... and then there's I92 who does EVERYTHING from his freaking PHONE !!! ... I'm just old school trying to get by in a young man's information overload world ...
Lol...you have all the records making life tougher but much appreciated and when you inevitably mess up a record or two the other 11 people on this site should help you get it corrected...like I did with Fairfield, in doing so learned more about Fairfield myself. You watch way more games, keep stats to many of them. I just place them 1-71 with a good deal of knowledge of their game outcomes. I still mess up and 12 seconds after I post one of those Athens bullies corrects me.

I appreciate when those who rarely post make an appearance and fill us in more in depth on their team....ex Treyman3 with Sheridan. I’ve been trying to get borodad from Hillsboro to open up more on here. Those guys really help out if we are open to listen 😁
I92 - maybe you have hit the nail on the head ... are WE - you and I AND a few others - doing too much of the leg work ?!! the viewers are out there, but the posters are not posting like they used to ... is it actually my fault and yours that seopsters don't have to "ask the questions", "give the scores for their teams", "give rundowns of games" ... the work is being done for them ... I'm doing too much and running posters off of the site ... I may have to go away to see if my hypothesis is correct !!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:11 am
danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:05 am
.. gotcha ...

daniC , IF you as a coach could have "pre-seeding" info that would assist in the seeding process - what exactly would you - as a coach or team staff - want to assist in the seeding process? what do you not have that you would like to have ? ...or maybe coaches DO HAVE all they need ...
In the team bio, a coach can put their wins and losses, especially against D1, D2, D3, D4 opponents. But, I think it’s important to feature standout wins and also losses versus quality opponents

For instance, Adena has 2 losses, one vs Unioto which they avenged and then vs #2 Worthington Christian. Those should be noted, IMO, to get a better grasp on a team’s overall quality if you haven’t played them.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

I wish the Southeast DAB would follow the East. They are far most transparent.

The East posts the voting matrix (here is their D-II Girls Voting Matrix as an example). The voting matrix shows the seeding submitted by each school. The school does not seed itself on their ballot. And I believe the high and the low seed get thrown out for each school when totaling their points.

Post by Hoopie74 »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:07 pm I wish the Southeast DAB would follow the East. They are far most transparent.

The East posts the voting matrix (here is their D-II Girls Voting Matrix as an example). The voting matrix shows the seeding submitted by each school. The school does not seed itself on their ballot. And I believe the high and the low seed get thrown out for each school when totaling their points.
That would be great.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Keep marching onward Pfloyd. In these times we find ourselves in,we can only hope for a great "one and done." I'm praying for a great and complete post season for all the teams and players.

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Post by Treyman3 »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:07 pm I wish the Southeast DAB would follow the East. They are far most transparent.

The SE does all those things, they just don’t release the votes to the public. The coaches do have access to it though. I wish the SW didn’t lock in what line each seed goes to, rather let the better seeds select. This would eliminate a lot of the politics in voting.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I believe the SE District does this as well. I don't think the matrix is made public but coaches and AD's can access it.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

The coaches do correspond before seeding. Some will contact coaches outside of their own conference as well. I think some of it is to gather information on teams they may not have seen and don't know well. Coaches are also trying to feel each other out to see how they plan to vote and coaches aren't shy about sharing where they feel their own team should be seeded.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

BlindWhiteHat wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:29 pm
The coaches do correspond before seeding. Some will contact coaches outside of their own conference as well. I think some of it is to gather information on teams they may not have seen and don't know well. Coaches are also trying to feel each other out to see how they plan to vote and coaches aren't shy about sharing where they feel their own team should be seeded.
... I figured as much, just makes sense to me ... I'm just trying to get a feel for what information coaches feel they need, want, could use to determine how they will vote ie. roster information with size, grade etc/ record/ with game by game scores up to the weekend before seeding takes place, opponent info ie. Dover in the ECOL conference that Warren & Marietta play but no one else does some roster info about that opponent ... just trying to see if there is a way to assist the seeding process in addition to doing the rankings as I do now and the criteria I use to rank the teams ... thanks everyone for the input !

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Pfloyd,
There is never too much info! Keep on keeping on.

Basketballfan40
Freshman Team

Post by Basketballfan40 »

FIDO wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:00 pm Pfloyd,
Agreed, I love reading everything. I watch Portsmouth West and try to help out but I don’t always have time to post. Always love to read though, keep it up.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Basketballfan40 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:47 pm
Agreed, I love reading everything. I watch Portsmouth West and try to help out but I don’t always have time to post. Always love to read though, keep it up.
... thanks FIDO, Basketballfan40 ... I totally understand about not having the time to post ... it's posters such as yourself who KNOW your teams so well that can definitely ADD to the conversation ... you know the players, the coaches ... you see the improvements game to game ... I'm an outsider looking at the product on the court, I don't know the stories behind how teams get where they are ... anything the masses can add is MORE than I can ever provide with a score, a game wrap-up ... I truly appreciate the reads !!!

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:53 pm
Basketballfan40 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:47 pm
... thanks FIDO, Basketballfan40 ... I totally understand about not having the time to post ... it's posters such as yourself who KNOW your teams so well that can definitely ADD to the conversation ... you know the players, the coaches ... you see the improvements game to game ... I'm an outsider looking at the product on the court, I don't know the stories behind how teams get where they are ... anything the masses can add is MORE than I can ever provide with a score, a game wrap-up ... I truly appreciate the reads !!!
Ditto that, I don't always post but I read just about every thread on here whether it pertains to my team or not and I appreciate all the hours/thought you put into your posts. Have we heard anything about viewership or how that will be regulated for the post-season? Im assuming the OHSAA will be handling how video feeds roll out but do we know for certain? I know for example Warren uses a camera mounted to the ceiling that uses technology that's directed to follow the basketball but I'm sure others use the old fashioned method i.e. a cameraman. Will they charge per game? Maybe a package deal for viewership???

Go Blue

Return to “Boys Basketball”