Which Coach in SEO has been blessed with most talent over their career as a head Coach

mrwonderful
Varsity

Which Coach in SEO has been blessed with most talent over their career as a head Coach

Post by mrwonderful »

I have no idea...Maybe name a top 10..... Maybe name a top 10 Coach who has had less talent in their career.....

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Which Coach in SEO has been blessed with most talent over their career as a head Coach

Post by Ironman92 »

mrwonderful wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:20 pm I have no idea...Maybe name a top 10..... Maybe name a top 10 Coach who has had less talent in their career.....
Kind of tough one. You have the elite talent that anyone could probably win with but then you have the great players that buy into what coach was doing and coach helped get them to the next level.

Gary Kellough comes to mind with the state championship as he came from Zane Trace, Humpty followed....Ray Chambers ...then eventually back to ZT for some great players.

Norm hasn’t had the big time D1 guys but has had a mess of all-state type players that have went on to the smaller schools. Great players who have lit up the Convo and then also the state title.

More recently Coach Eric Huffer had the great 4 players at Chillicothe. All are doing well in college....but those kids played hard and did the small things for sure on the court. Very disciplined.

Coach Collins of Portsmouth has had the great basketball athletes but also he was the coach it seemed those players needed. Allison, McKinley and many others thrived under Coach Collins.

Guys like Combs, Caldwell, Maddox come to mind as 3 that either don’t have great talent or maybe basketball players but tend to have the teams that compete very well regardless.

This thread could go a lot of different ways....hopefully it stays to the good.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Which Coach in SEO has been blessed with most talent over their career as a head Coach

Post by Raider6309 »

Skinner Athens

Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Post by Tommy Chong »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:23 pm Skinner Athens
😂

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Skinner 2. Skinner 1 didn’t have much talent

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Hoops at Unioto. And 90% of the talent wasn’t from Unioto.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

mikepike wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:03 am Hoops at Unioto. And 90% of the talent wasn’t from Unioto.
Our rivals don’t even worry about Unioto as much as Piketon does :lol:

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mikepike wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:03 am Hoops at Unioto. And 90% of the talent wasn’t from Unioto.
Piketon over the years...don’t they have an impressive list of stars that weren’t from Piketon?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:36 am
Piketon over the years...don’t they have an impressive list of stars that weren’t from Piketon?
All of them

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:41 am
Our rivals don’t even worry about Unioto as much as Piketon does :lol:
What’s good for Piketon isn’t good for everyone else.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

I would gladly compare the number of transfers over the last 10 years between Piketon and Unioto.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mikepike wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:20 am I would gladly compare the number of transfers over the last 10 years between Piketon and Unioto.
Sounds fun

PurplePower
Freshman Team

Post by PurplePower »

I am not sure if the question was posed correctly. Are we talking coaches who took a job and stayed at their school and was lucky enough that the community just kept cranking out basketball talent? Me personally i have to vote for Howie Caldwell but he has been smart enough to leave jobs when the talent pool runs dry.

BEWARE OF THE STOMP AND STARE!
Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

PurplePower wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:27 am I am not sure if the question was posed correctly. Are we talking coaches who took a job and stayed at their school and was lucky enough that the community just kept cranking out basketball talent? Me personally i have to vote for Howie Caldwell but he has been smart enough to leave jobs when the talent pool runs dry.
If this is the case, then he sounds more like an opportunist than a coach. A good coach can make great players.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:23 pm Skinner Athens
Top underachievers that had a lot of talented players:

1. Skinny- Athens

2. Jay Kline- NY

:mrgreen:

But I will say both those fellas sure could slam the glass out of a door and knew how to scream and spray spittle onto a ref. Good thing they coached before the Covid era. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Coach Speed

Penguin
Freshman Team

Post by Penguin »

Speed, Caldwell, Barrick, Fitch, Roffe(Valley), Carson(at Lynchburg), Gabriel, Kreischer, Robertson, Collins, Davis, Lisath.

Return to “Boys Basketball”