Coaching Vacancies 2020-2021

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

Re: Coaching Vacancies 2020-2021

Post by Voice of Reason »

ItsMyOpinion
A lot "non-facts" facts in that statement. The last basketball coach resigned. He was not fired or non-renewed. The football program is just a handful of years from winning multiple SOC titles, playoff games, and a regional title. They have the smallest enrollment by far of any school in SOC II, and probably would have been a playoff team this year without the injuries. The baseball team has had a couple 18-20 win seasons, a district title and a district runner up in the last 4 years in division 3 and would have been in division 4 this season. But there was a definite down turn in talent after a 5-7 year run of outstanding players that produced multiple conference titles and tournament/playoff victories. I am in agreement with the others here when it comes to the possibility that maybe not everything has surfaced on the reason for the firing. But you're entitled to your opinion for sure.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I agree ... I’m entitled to my opinion just as you are. The “fact” is the coach before was told to resign his position or he would be non-renewed

I’m just stating the fact that this administration and this Board has made decisions that make Valley look like a second tier school district. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

pmow3 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:35 am I think it will work out fine at Valley. The school board will make a good decision about the future there and Valley will be back soon. Relax. If they made the call to change it, then there must be enough reason and foresight to make the school system better. My guess is they have a plan. Let’s see what happens.
Most boards don’t make good coaching hires. This should be left up to the AD and maybe an athletic committee where some of these coached/played. Superintendent would also have some input on these decisions if she/he has a clue.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:42 pm I agree ... I’m entitled to my opinion just as you are. The “fact” is the coach before was told to resign his position or he would be non-renewed

I’m just stating the fact that this administration and this Board has made decisions that make Valley look like a second tier school district. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Well. We will have to see with this next hire if they know what they’re doing or not.... you promise to check back on here afterwards and we can talk about it???

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

Post by Voice of Reason »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:42 pm I agree ... I’m entitled to my opinion just as you are. The “fact” is the coach before was told to resign his position or he would be non-renewed

I have been reading along and made my statements... You have made some valid points, but this is not true. 100% not true... He resigned on his own. Some of the other stuff you have said may be true, but this is wrong. If you had a connection to the community you would know exactly why this is wrong.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

That of course goes for E High too. ????

I just want to know if you’ll be here after this hire and let me know if it was a good decision or not. ??

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

What will determine if non-renewing the former coach was a good decision? If the new coach wins? I don’t think that is the case because the former coach would have won.

Will it be a good decision if the new coach plays certain people’s son?

I will continue to follow Valley athletics as I have for years. So yes I will be back. My question is “If this decision doesn’t translate into championship, will you be back to admit it was a bad decision and demand that Valley’s board and administration resign?”

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

I am not getting on here to bash the last head coach.
I have no personal issues with him whatsoever.
But I believe that more success will come with a change.
Obviously we won’t know that. But you also will not know that.
There were some things, without going into details, that I feel like the new coach will recognize and change. I’ll let you do your own investigation. Coach Horton was a nice guy. And I wish him well. But I think better days are coming at Valley.
I’ll leave it at that.

One more thing. The success at Valley is not that far removed. I suggest you go back and read (voice of reason’s) post again.
We are 2 years removed from a district championship in baseball by beating burg.
Football has been tough. But our numbers have been very down.
This is all about to get better. In all sports.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

pmow3 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:04 pm That of course goes for E High too. ????

I just want to know if you’ll be here after this hire and let me know if it was a good decision or not. ??
I will be here. Wish them the best. Don’t know much about Valley. Some people here know way more then me about the situation there. I’ve just made some “general “ statements about coaching. Maybe this guy didn’t deserve to be hired or wasn’t headed in the right direction. I’ve seen plenty of that. Again, hopefully they have the proper, qualified people to hire the right coach. I’ve seen that mistake plenty of times. Good luck going forward !

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Not even close to the truth. Zero "fact" in that.

sportsfan20304
Waterboy

Post by sportsfan20304 »

Buddy of mine told me that Kyle Copley met with Superintendent and AD at Valley yesterday at the high school concerning the boys basketball job. Have a couple thoughts about it. First, a couple (not all) members of administration are claiming that Horton being non renewed is just annual policy which is true. But, this is not the case. He was fired and I can’t confirm this 100%, but he was told not to reapply for his job. The problem I have with this is the lack of transparency. Own up to the decision instead of playing it off like this is just an annual policy. Also, the job is not posted on the OHSAA member school job openings which is surprising. You would think you would want to get the best candidates possible to apply. Valley will back themselves and say the supplemental application is posted on the school website and you can apply for any athletic position, but this is how it is done every year. Seems to me that Valley has already made the decision before the May BOE meeting where supplementals are addressed and voted on behalf of the recommendations of administration.

sportsfan20304
Waterboy

Post by sportsfan20304 »

Let me set this straight also. Valley has a bright future. They are closer than people expect to be competing for championships. They have a lot of good people in the district. Just disappointed in how they handled this process and the lack of transparency. More disappointed with a select few individuals than the school district as a whole. Just try and speak the truth based on the factual information I know.

Bo_Diaz
JV Team

Post by Bo_Diaz »

Copley’s job will not allow him to be a head coach. If he was meeting at the school it wasn’t about the coaching job.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

As the world turns in Coaching at every level. It as bad as the salary structure of pro athletes. And schools wonder why they look and look and look for a prize Coach. Then they are left with leftovers and wannabes. Good luck all 👍

Big Blue Nation
Waterboy

Post by Big Blue Nation »

However, he could be an assistant with his schedule.

Bo_Diaz wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:31 pm Copley’s job will not allow him to be a head coach. If he was meeting at the school it wasn’t about the coaching job.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Big Blue Nation wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:10 pm However, he could be an assistant with his schedule.

Bo_Diaz wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:31 pm Copley’s job will not allow him to be a head coach. If he was meeting at the school it wasn’t about the coaching job.
Nice username.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I was told early last season that parents did not like Hortons style of play and he wouldn't be back. Parents were threatening to transfer their kids if he was retained.
Feel bad for the guy. I think he's a really good coach. He just plays a defensive style of basketball

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Most helicopter parents will never be happy. If he had a lot of success with that philosophy and it matched the personnel , then fine. If not, that’s a different story

Netcutter
Waterboy

Post by Netcutter »

Instead of pages of Valley and your so-called political problems how about we get back on topic about coaching vacancies. Jobs that are open or who is hired.

School. New Coach
Alexander
Northwest
Valley
Wellston
Others??

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Has any of these positions been hired?

Return to “Boys Basketball”