Waverly @ Jackson 2/1

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Waverly @ Jackson 2/1

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:09 pm Sheridan and Fairfield Union are great teams and might be the 1 and 2 seeds but they don’t have a standout star. They have very good players that make up very good teams. Last year Sheridan had Heller, he was a star. Wallis is a star.
Unioto also has a star ⭐️

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:21 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:09 pm Sheridan and Fairfield Union are great teams and might be the 1 and 2 seeds but they don’t have a standout star. They have very good players that make up very good teams. Last year Sheridan had Heller, he was a star. Wallis is a star.
Yeah I know...he dunked in a suit and hit 92 consecutive 3’s, saw it on Sportscenter

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:25 pm
Yeah I know...he dunked in a suit and hit 92 consecutive 3’s, saw it on Sportscenter
Lol. I was actually speaking of our depth

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:27 pm

Your star is your defense

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:37 pm

Amen brother! And our chemistry. I’m sure you feel it too but there isn’t much better than watching 12 guys play as one. Everyone getting along and everyone sacrificing for the team. Been fun so far and a long way to go

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:40 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:37 pm

Amen brother! And our chemistry. I’m sure you feel it too but there isn’t much better than watching 12 guys play as one. Everyone getting along and everyone sacrificing for the team. Been fun so far and a long way to go
Yes we do and yes it is

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Good win last night for the Ironmen ! Defense travels well from game to game - Jackson is one of the better defensive teams in SEO ... Waverly has struggled vs a team that can matchup with Robertson ... Fairland/Aiden Porter held Robertson in check (14 points total/2 in the 2nd half) and tonight JHS (I assume Caleb Wallis got the assignment) holding Robertson to 10 points I believe I read in a post ... Waverly HAS the pieces to be very very good in Futhey/Smallwood to compliment Robertson ... not sure they get the opportunity to contribute enough ... sounds like it was a good one ! Best of luck to both teams the rest of the regular season !!!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:01 am Good win last night for the Ironmen ! Defense travels well from game to game - Jackson is one of the better defensive teams in SEO ... Waverly has struggled vs a team that can matchup with Robertson ... Fairland/Aiden Porter held Robertson in check (14 points total/2 in the 2nd half) and tonight JHS (I assume Caleb Wallis got the assignment) holding Robertson to 10 points I believe I read in a post ... Waverly HAS the pieces to be very very good in Futhey/Smallwood to compliment Robertson ... not sure they get the opportunity to contribute enough ... sounds like it was a good one ! Best of luck to both teams the rest of the regular season !!!
You're exactly right when it comes to a team that plays good defense. It sounds like the offense Waverly ran against Oak Hill is where they need to look to, run it through the big men, Robertson is going to get his regardless have to make the opponents defend the rest of the players. Another thing that hurts Waverly especially when you get in a game like this and a week where you play 3 very tough games is they only go 6 deep. I'm curious if that's one of the reasons you don't see them running the same type of helter skelter defense as everyone called in from the last couple of years. Jackson has a REALLY good team and I predicted a victory for them, I do believe the game could've been closer if Waverly wasn't so taxed. Look forward to catching both teams come tourney time here shortly.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Entertaining game for sure. Jackson is very good and should/could get the one seed. You can't teach speed and quickness and they are blessed.

Waverly wasn't fresh which was obvious to anyone who has seen them play in multiple games. It's nearly impossible to play with the same energy and passion on back to back nights especially after coming off a highly emotional game. I thought it affected our decision making as much as anything. Especially our passing....

Tigers just need to rest up and get ready for a big game at Eastern Tuesday night. Darn nice season so far and got to keep fighting.

Good Luck to Jackson.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

toast wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:42 am Entertaining game for sure. Jackson is very good and should/could get the one seed. You can't teach speed and quickness and they are blessed.

Waverly wasn't fresh which was obvious to anyone who has seen them play in multiple games. It's nearly impossible to play with the same energy and passion on back to back nights especially after coming off a highly emotional game. I thought it affected our decision making as much as anything. Especially our passing....

Tigers just need to rest up and get ready for a big game at Eastern Tuesday night. Darn nice season so far and got to keep fighting.

Good Luck to Jackson.
Exactly....

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Good luck Jackson from here on out. Congrats on the win.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Jackson has to start making easy shots at the basket and put these teams away. This should’ve been another 30 point win. Quit letting these teams hang around. Jackson’s defense is suffocating. Waverly was frustrated all the way up to the coaches.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Poo Bear wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:04 am Jackson has to start making easy shots at the basket and put these teams away. This should’ve been another 30 point win. Quit letting these teams hang around. Jackson’s defense is suffocating. Waverly was frustrated all the way up to the coaches.
... good word choice Poo Bear "frustrated" ... when I watched the Waverly vs Fairland game at the Beasts of the Southeast I wrote the word "frustrated" on my napkin stat sheet as well ... when Robertson wasn't able to get it done offensively due to the defensive effort of Porter and the Dragons , HE was visibly "frustrated" ...instead of using Smallwood and Futhey (who are both excellent) the Tigers kept on keeping on trying to get points from Robertson ... my little mind says IF Smallwood/Futhey are getting theirs then Robertson can do whatever he wants as there are too many weapons to cover, you have to double on the inside with Smallwood/Futhey's size ... but that's why "I" win every game LOL sitting in the cheap seats ... Waverly HAS so many weapons - not just Robertson (who is outstanding - don't get me wrong) ... pfloyd is driving to Waverly Friday night to watch the Waverly vs Wheelersburg matchup ! need to see the Burg in person and it will give me my 3rd eyes on look at the Tigers of Coach Robertson ... should be a good one at the House that "Coach" Hawhee built !

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

At Oak Hill Friday:
Smallwood 19 points, 8 rebounds
Brown 14 points
Robertson 13 points, 5 assists
Futhey 7 or 9 points (not exactly how many)
Clearly the Bigs got the ball and finished.

I don’t have the stats from last night but I know attempts were made to do just that. Passes weren’t as crisp and I believe turnovers were plentiful. Travis spoke of it on the radio afterwards. Robertson has been very good at getting the ball to the Bigs all year. I think they understand doing that opens it up for him to score.

And to say this should have been a 30 point blowout is flat out ridiculous. Ya, Jackson was up 20 but guess what, Waverly doesn’t just lay down and quit. Did they think they would come back and win when down 20 in the 4th? It didn’t matter, they weren’t going to lay down and be blown out. They dug down deep in the reserve tank to finish with some pride.
We could say the same thing about missed shots. We missed plenty that weren’t contested.

Congratulations to Jackson on the big win, they did everything they needed to do to win and Waverly didn’t.
Waverly will learn from it and be better because of it.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Ironton ———— 42
Elliot Co, Ky — 29

Hoopsallday
Waterboy

Post by Hoopsallday »

greygoose wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:30 am
pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:01 am Good win last night for the Ironmen ! Defense travels well from game to game - Jackson is one of the better defensive teams in SEO ... Waverly has struggled vs a team that can matchup with Robertson ... Fairland/Aiden Porter held Robertson in check (14 points total/2 in the 2nd half) and tonight JHS (I assume Caleb Wallis got the assignment) holding Robertson to 10 points I believe I read in a post ... Waverly HAS the pieces to be very very good in Futhey/Smallwood to compliment Robertson ... not sure they get the opportunity to contribute enough ... sounds like it was a good one ! Best of luck to both teams the rest of the regular season !!!
You're exactly right when it comes to a team that plays good defense. It sounds like the offense Waverly ran against Oak Hill is where they need to look to, run it through the big men, Robertson is going to get his regardless have to make the opponents defend the rest of the players. Another thing that hurts Waverly especially when you get in a game like this and a week where you play 3 very tough games is they only go 6 deep. I'm curious if that's one of the reasons you don't see them running the same type of helter skelter defense as everyone called in from the last couple of years. Jackson has a REALLY good team and I predicted a victory for them, I do believe the game could've been closer if Waverly wasn't so taxed. Look forward to catching both teams come tourney time here shortly.

I definitely agree. If Waverly didn't just come off of a couple of tough games prior to this game I feel this game would've been closer than the actual score.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

One thing Jackson has been good at all year is defending the pass to the post. They spend so much time working on rotations and make it so tough to get it into the bigs. Hammond, Donaldson, Spires and others are great at getting to the ball like a great defensive back before the post player can grab it.

Jackson knows they are rarely the bigger team and Coach Morrow and staff have put tremendous emphasis on countering what they can’t control. If you don’t play disciplined defense...you aren’t in the court very long. If anything we’ve struggled on the perimeter more than guarding the post.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

smurray wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:47 am At Oak Hill Friday:
Smallwood 19 points, 8 rebounds
Brown 14 points
Robertson 13 points, 5 assists
Futhey 7 or 9 points (not exactly how many)
Clearly the Bigs got the ball and finished.

I don’t have the stats from last night but I know attempts were made to do just that. Passes weren’t as crisp and I believe turnovers were plentiful. Travis spoke of it on the radio afterwards. Robertson has been very good at getting the ball to the Bigs all year. I think they understand doing that opens it up for him to score.

And to say this should have been a 30 point blowout is flat out ridiculous. Ya, Jackson was up 20 but guess what, Waverly doesn’t just lay down and quit. Did they think they would come back and win when down 20 in the 4th? It didn’t matter, they weren’t going to lay down and be blown out. They dug down deep in the reserve tank to finish with some pride.
We could say the same thing about missed shots. We missed plenty that weren’t contested.

Congratulations to Jackson on the big win, they did everything they needed to do to win and Waverly didn’t.
Waverly will learn from it and be better because of it.
Waverly plays hard I agree , much respect to them. Jackson is a different level on intensity and pressure. Waverly was much bigger. Wallis put the glove on Robertson. He had 1 field goal on Wallis. Jackson won the game Early , was over after 1st round

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Waverly was taxed.
Waverly missed uncontested shots.
Waverly wasn't fresh.

No. Waverly lost. Got beat fairly badly actually. Nothing to be ashamed of at all, Burg only got the Ironmen by 1 point, they are a good team. Surprised the refs haven't been thrown under the bus yet.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Caden Donaldson with a double double. Out worked bigger players all night. Kid is amazing.

Return to “Boys Basketball”