What’s The Best Game You’ve Ever Witnessed?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Re: What’s The Best Game You’ve Ever Witnessed?

Post by Crab's Brother »

Valley vs Unioto Sectional finals at Waverly in 2000.

No lead was bigger than 5 the entire game. Unbelievable crowd and atmosphere.

Valley hits a shot with just under a second left to win it and go back to the Convo for the first time in 8 years.

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Clay and Grove City 2017 . Regional game 100-97 double overtime. Clay down 60-50 after three and scores 25 in fourth to send it to overtime. An entertaining game for all that were there. The radio version was also extremely exciting.

Coach SLegg
Waterboy

Post by Coach SLegg »

2009 - Piketon vs Grandview Heights - D3 Regional Finals
Overtime
Piketon 78
Grandview 72
Streaks erased 10-pt deficit in closing 2:22 to force OT. In OT Streaks slowly pulled away.
For those in attendance, it was clearly apparent God's will and presence were served, and a "Miracle" had happened...very surreal.

Here Comes the Streaks!
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

So many great games involving the Trojans......here's a few that I will always remember, in no particular order:

1. Portsmouth 69, Chesapeake 68....... D3 2011 Regional Final......Wayne Evans teardrop shot with 4 seconds to play wins it for PHS.
2. Portsmouth 63, Cleveland Cathedral Latin 62..... 1978 Class AA state championship......my first time in St.John Arena (sat on the very top row)
3. Portsmouth 62, Columbus East 61....1983 regular season.....current coach Eugene Collins made a 12 foot baseline jumper at the buzzer.
4. Portsmouth 66, Wheelersburg 59 (OT).....1983 Class AA district championship
5. Portsmouth 50, Ironton 40......2012 D3 regional championship.......first time Tigers and Trojans met in a regional final.
6. Portsmouth 68, Mansfield Malabar 65.....1988 D2 state semifinal......Trojans held off a very good Falcon squad.
7. Portsmouth 90, Cincinnati For.Park 80 (2OT)...... 1988 Dayton D2 regional final....FP started Alex Davis (started for OSU), Carlton Gray (Seattle Seahawks), Tony Watson( starting PG for Ohio U.)
8. Portsmouth 49, Waverly 48......1980 Class AA regional final.......Tigers Rick Teeters shot from top of key missed at the buzzer.
9. Portsmouth 54, Lucasville Valley 50......2011 district championship......Lenny Collins hit a big 3 to give PHS the lead late
10. Portsmouth 62, Gallia Academy 60 (OT).......Trojans edged Blue Devils in the old Class AA Ironton sectional.
11. Portsmouth 74, Ottawa-Glandorf 66....2011 D3 state semifinal.......last win by a SE district school in the Final 4.
12. Portsmouth 54, Wheelersburg 52(OT).....1978 sectional final......Jeff Lisath's bank shot sent the game into OT.

.......and some that the Trojans didn't win:

1. Wheelersburg 73, Portsmouth 66(OT)......1984 Class AA district championship.....Pirates erased a 9 point halftime deficit.
2. Lucasville Valley 58, Portsmouth 55...2014 district championship....Chris Flowers' 3 pointer at the buzzer wins for the Indians.
3. Ironton 54, Portsmouth 52...1979 Class AA dist.champ.......Dickie James 2 FT's won it for IHS. Snapped 29 game win streak by the Trojans.
4. Lucasville Valley 63, Portsmouth 62......2010 sectional final at Jackson.....Zack Utley game winning 3 pointer.
5. Waverly 72, Portsmouth 71......1974 regular season game at PHS......Tigers John Shoemaker scored 33 points.
6. Columbus Eastmoor 49, Portsmouth 45......2015 D3 regional final.......Trojans had 2 point lead going into the 4th quarter.
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Chillicothe and Toledo Libbey definitely comes to mind since it was a state championship.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Chillicothe vs Greenfield 2007 at the Convo.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Coach SLegg wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:12 am 2009 - Piketon vs Grandview Heights - D3 Regional Finals
Overtime
Piketon 78
Grandview 72
Streaks erased 10-pt deficit in closing 2:22 to force OT. In OT Streaks slowly pulled away.
For those in attendance, it was clearly apparent God's will and presence were served, and a "Miracle" had happened...very surreal.
Yep, everyone knows that Grandview Heights is so full of heathens that God denied them a chance to advance to the Final Four.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

No game per se, but the old Scioto County tourney held at the old Grant Gym. Always packed and loud!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

HamPorter wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:02 pm
Coach SLegg wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:12 am 2009 - Piketon vs Grandview Heights - D3 Regional Finals
Overtime
Piketon 78
Grandview 72

Yep, everyone knows that Grandview Heights is so full of heathens that God denied them a chance to advance to the Final Four.
Hashtag Butt Hurt

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Swanker Pine wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:06 pm
Overtime
Piketon 78
Grandview 72

Hashtag Butt Hurt
Nope, just don’t understand the need to include something that takes away from the effort of the players involved in the game, especially when one of the players was his son.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

My pick is that Chillicothe vs Greenfield game from 2007 at the Convo.

That place was packed and it was a great game

Keyboard
Waterboy

Post by Keyboard »

HamPorter wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:08 pm
Swanker Pine wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:06 pm

Hashtag Butt Hurt
Nope, just don’t understand the need to include something that takes away from the effort of the players involved in the game, especially when one of the players was his son.
Ham my man you should always give props to the lord before anything else. I’m sure his players and son are okay with coming after God. Merry Christmas and May God bless you and yours.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

2011 at the Convo when Portsmouth beat a really good Chesapeake team. Wayne Evans hit a 3 with just a few second left. You could hear a pin drop for a few seconds it was so silent in there. Also not sure if the year, Warren came to Portsmouth and I witnessed a really good game, it was either 2011 or 2012.

Who Dey!
warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

March 14, 2013

Warren vs Athens regional semifinal

Warren pulls off the comeback to beat Athens. 74-69

Two days later:

Warren vs New Philadelphia with Evan Yabs hits the put back at the buzzer to send Warren to their first ever final four in boys basketball.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

PTrojan59 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:46 pm 2011 at the Convo when Portsmouth beat a really good Chesapeake team. Wayne Evans hit a 3 with just a few second left. You could hear a pin drop for a few seconds it was so silent in there. Also not sure if the year, Warren came to Portsmouth and I witnessed a really good game, it was either 2011 or 2012.
Wasn't a 3.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Chesapeake vs Fredricktown in 1993 regional semis.Peake hits 2 free throws with no time left in OT to win it by 1.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Lebron and St V game vs defending D1 state champ Brookhaven at the schott. Incredible game, that brookhaven should have won, after making a crazy 2nd half comeback. Andrew Lavender had an incredible game and with like 10 seconds left, stole the ball from lebron and OSU football signee sion cotton fouled him and they called in intentional. Lavender just needed to make a free throw, but missed both and a shot to win it as time expires. St v dominated OT and won. The schott was sold out and the crowd was incredible.

Side note, I had graduated 2 years before this game in 2003, but my buddy and I were standing behind LBJ earlier in the day in the dip n dots line, and 1) I couldn't believe how big he was for a high school kid (and he was pretty skinny then) and 2) I was older than this kid and yet i was in awe of him, like star struck.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Falcon01 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:01 am Lebron and St V game vs defending D1 state champ Brookhaven at the schott. Incredible game, that brookhaven should have won, after making a crazy 2nd half comeback. Andrew Lavender had an incredible game and with like 10 seconds left, stole the ball from lebron and OSU football signee sion cotton fouled him and they called in intentional. Lavender just needed to make a free throw, but missed both and a shot to win it as time expires. St v dominated OT and won. The schott was sold out and the crowd was incredible.

Side note, I had graduated 2 years before this game in 2003, but my buddy and I were standing behind LBJ earlier in the day in the dip n dots line, and 1) I couldn't believe how big he was for a high school kid (and he was pretty skinny then) and 2) I was older than this kid and yet i was in awe of him, like star struck.
Must’ve been strange seeing a Goat getting ice cream

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Not any game particular but when I was younger watching gallia academy from the time Cody lane was there until Donnie Johnson left was always fun to watch any game they played

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:48 am
PTrojan59 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:46 pm 2011 at the Convo when Portsmouth beat a really good Chesapeake team. Wayne Evans hit a 3 with just a few second left. You could hear a pin drop for a few seconds it was so silent in there. Also not sure if the year, Warren came to Portsmouth and I witnessed a really good game, it was either 2011 or 2012.
Wasn't a 3.
That’s true, not sure why I thought it was, must be thinking of another game. Had to think really hard but I think, I could still be wrong, but I think maybe Portsmouth took the lead and won when Wayne Evans got fouled and still made the shot? I do know Wayne was the one with the shot, I can confirm that much. Lol Regardless it’s the best game I’ve witnessed in person. Really good Chesapeake team that season.

Who Dey!

Return to “Boys Basketball”