Fairland vs Fairfield Union

fireball
Freshman Team

Re: Fairland vs Fairfield Union 3/9 early thoughts??

Post by fireball »

if they let woodside play football like they did last night look out dragons

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

Going to be a tough game for Fairfield Union, but I’m pulling for them. Go Falcons!

Bigman83
Riding the Bench

Post by Bigman83 »

Fairland a great team, don’t get me wrong. However, they’re not as great as what they’re getting hyped up to be. They have 5 solid guys. You don’t let Thomas or Howell shoot, keep Staten & Cunningham in front. Front Van Horn if you’re a smaller team, but if you have a post big enough, sit behind him and make him shoot over top of you. In this game, I like the Woodside/Van Horn matchup. Woodside may not have the advantage offensively but I think he can keep Van Horn to a minimum defensively. He’s strong enough to guard him in the post, and unlike most bigs, he’s quick enough to guard him from the perimeter. If Fairfield Union is able to shut down the 3 ball from Howell & Thomas (not just getting a hand, that’s not good enough. Don’t give them shots), keep Staten and Cunningham in front, get back on D, and let Woodside handle Van Horn. They can win this game.

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

FU will give the dragons more trouble than VC did, they will use their big man inside and will limit the turnovers. If they can get back and guard in the half court they give themselves a good chance to win this game.

Unbiased
Waterboy

Post by Unbiased »

Bigman83 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:58 pm Fairland a great team, don’t get me wrong. However, they’re not as great as what they’re getting hyped up to be. They have 5 solid guys. You don’t let Thomas or Howell shoot, keep Staten & Cunningham in front. Front Van Horn if you’re a smaller team, but if you have a post big enough, sit behind him and make him shoot over top of you. In this game, I like the Woodside/Van Horn matchup. Woodside may not have the advantage offensively but I think he can keep Van Horn to a minimum defensively. He’s strong enough to guard him in the post, and unlike most bigs, he’s quick enough to guard him from the perimeter. If Fairfield Union is able to shut down the 3 ball from Howell & Thomas (not just getting a hand, that’s not good enough. Don’t give them shots), keep Staten and Cunningham in front, get back on D, and let Woodside handle Van Horn. They can win this game.
They're not as great as they are said to be, yet every starter needs to be shut down in order to win? No disrespect, but that defensive game plan is far more challenging than it sounds. I have seen Fairland a few times this season and they have many different looks. They are able to have 5 of the top 7 players on the floor at any time, which is hard to beat. I will also say that their bench is over shadowed by their starters, they have 8-9 "solid" guys. The Monalak kid (I think a junior) is a tough player off the bench and is very good in his role. Five of them just happen to be great. Having also seen Fairfield, I do not believe that they have what it takes to run with Fairland, though they are a really good team. I guess we will see though, it is The Convo, anything can happen!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GET ER DONE DRAGONS.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Bball4
Waterboy

Post by Bball4 »

fireball wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:48 pm if they let woodside play football like they did last night look out dragons
He played the type of game that the officials called. I don't personally think he was the only one out there play aggressively. He was shoved multiple times in the back as well. As well we're all the kids on both sides. You adjust to what they are calling. He told both bigs to continue playing the way they were, he was not there to put them on the bench. I feel that both bigs played an aggressive game and the officials stayed out of it. That is how it should be. Loveday was just as aggressive on the defensive end but no body wants to say that because he was held to 4 points on the offensive end so Woodside was to rough. Welcome to the tournament boys.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

If FU had trouble with Sheridan, what do you think going to happen against Fairland? This will be close for a while--but Fairland Big at the end!!!

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Think a close one ! Who ever wins !

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

vcgrad wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:21 am If FU had trouble with Sheridan, what do you think going to happen against Fairland? This will be close for a while--but Fairland Big at the end!!!
Sheridan may have very well won the game regardless, but many don't know that Woodside spent time in the hospital that day and then had i believe another trip and had to have some iv's. Sounded to me like mono, but apparently that's not the case. Hopefully the big fella is healthy next friday. The kid is a gamer and just wants to be out there with his teammates. Respect the heck out of the kid for giving any and all he had in the tank the last two weeks.
Last edited by Falcon01 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amock0905
Freshman Team

Post by Amock0905 »

I’ve always liked an underdog story, thinking about taking to the cheap seats and watching this one I really like them vanhorn/“big timber” matchup would like to see FU pull off an upset

The 24 year drought is over! 🏈🏆
Omaha09
Waterboy

Post by Omaha09 »

If Fairland stays out of foul trouble they roll easy in this one

falconbball
Riding the Bench

Post by falconbball »

Unbiased wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:02 am Fairland rolls this one by 20+
Fairland played sloppy against VC and still found them up by 21 late in the game. People doubted Fairland vs VC and they will do the same in this one. However, Fairland is on another level than these teams.
Whoa no respect for FU?? 20 plus?? "not so fast my friend"

falconbball
Riding the Bench

Post by falconbball »

Geronimo wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:15 pm Think a close one ! Who ever wins !
agreed, Coach Eversole and his staff have a week to prepare for them should be a good one, cant wait! Go Falcons

Defensewins
Waterboy

Post by Defensewins »

falconbball wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:01 am hopefully FU tough non league schedule will pay dividens to them , they have played some top teams in the state Columbus south early in the year , Beechcroft (columbus city league champs) which only lost by 10. They also played the 1 seed in the other side of the bracket Sheridan and lost a close one. Oh and wait also beating Unioto in a close one. Coach Eversole prepares his team very well for games and he has a week to do so. FU will be ready, going to be a great game I believe. Who does Fairland play in their league? to be honest I didnt even know where they were located had to look them up. Good luck to both teams GO Falcons!!
Fairland has played the toughest schedule in the Southeast. They have played 4 teams this year that won State Championships last year.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GET ER DONE DRAGONS.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
earp
S

Post by earp »

Defensewins wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:35 pm
falconbball wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:01 am hopefully FU tough non league schedule will pay dividens to them , they have played some top teams in the state Columbus south early in the year , Beechcroft (columbus city league champs) which only lost by 10. They also played the 1 seed in the other side of the bracket Sheridan and lost a close one. Oh and wait also beating Unioto in a close one. Coach Eversole prepares his team very well for games and he has a week to do so. FU will be ready, going to be a great game I believe. Who does Fairland play in their league? to be honest I didnt even know where they were located had to look them up. Good luck to both teams GO Falcons!!
Fairland has played the toughest schedule in the Southeast. They have played 4 teams this year that won State Championships last year.
Yes one of which "Cox Mill NC" is nationally ranked.

GAHSBB#1fan
Riding the Bench

Post by GAHSBB#1fan »

If Fairland plays their “A” game there is nobody in this region that can beat them or even come close to beating them, but after saying that if Fairland doesn’t play their “A” game and has a off night shooting or gets into foul trouble FU has a good chance to pull off the upset, but again that is wishful thinking if your FU! Fairland has guys who have played in the big games and when the game is on the line they show up in a mighty way. That Luke Thomas has Ice in his veins. Fairland has too many weapons for most teams.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

This will be my first time watching these two teams, looking forward to it.

Unbiased
Waterboy

Post by Unbiased »

falconbball wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:37 am
Unbiased wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:02 am Fairland rolls this one by 20+
Fairland played sloppy against VC and still found them up by 21 late in the game. People doubted Fairland vs VC and they will do the same in this one. However, Fairland is on another level than these teams.
Whoa no respect for FU?? 20 plus?? "not so fast my friend"
No disrespect to FU, the Dragons are just too much. When on their game, 20+ is not a difficult task for them. Fairfield is good or they wouldn’t have made it to the point they have. I think a terrible shooting night and foul trouble for Van Horn is what needs to happen for a close game. Fairland played @ Gallia, worst shooting of the season, while Gallia shot their best of the season, with Van Horn in foul trouble, and still left with the win. I would love to see a good game. That’s just my opinion on it.

Return to “Boys Basketball”